William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
Good morning all! So, this winter, I am building out the back of my taco short bed. I am putting a sleeping platform in, with a single shelf drawer system underneath. Opting for the single drawer because I have long items that can be stowed next to the drawer, but that isnt my question.
We currently take along a Gazelle T4 plus, which is an amazing tent. However, if we are only going for a single night, this can be a pain to put up, as its a large tent, and takes a while to set it just right. So, we are looking into converting the bed into a part time sleeper, for when we do a quick overnight, or have a high turnaround time between sleeps. The flooring will be plywood covered with outdoor rug, and will be fully side to side, as the supports will be the 2x6 that the cutouts on the bed support (its a '21 taco, short bed).
So, we are looking for solutions for a mattress that will generally fit this bed. If anyone has any first hand experiences with good products, please let me know. We currently use the Exped Megamat single wides, for sleeping, or cots, depending on the time of year. I have considered the Exped Megamat duo, but thats like over $400, and I am looking for something a little more budget friendly. Here is what I would ideally like-lets call it my unicorn mattress:
A mattress that fits lengthwise, for a 5.5 foot bed
One that can either fold up, or roll up, to the side, so that other luggage can go into that space as well.
Ideally, 4" thickness, for comfort.

There are several things that meet, or almost meet, these criteria, but I am hoping a few folks here have first hand experience with the products, will chime in, and give me a more real world report on what works.
As to the length of the bed; we are both short (I am 5'6", and she is 5'), so we can actually fit in the back pretty comfortably.
So, let me know what you have that worked, didnt work, or your experiences in general!

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

My son has the Exped MegaMat Duo Medium Double in the back of his Tacoma and spent $330.00 at REI. My wife and I run the Hest Dually Mattress in our AluCab and haven't found anything better because of it's cold weather characteristics, but that woudl definitely be out of budget by your expectations.

You can get 28"X 72" Memory Foam / Gel RV and Boat mattresses on Amazon for about $100 each. I

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I always mention the exped megamat duo also, but im not sure it will fit the 5.5, most of the megamats are 6' exactly.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I use a Wellax air/foam pad. 3" thick foam offers great insulation and comfort. You can roll it up smaller than a sleeping bag. 4K reviews on Amazon.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

I always mention the exped megamat duo also, but im not sure it will fit the 5.5, most of the megamats are 6' exactly.
The medium my son runs is six ft. When he closes the tailgate, it compresses it some and is not difficult to do so. You can get "kid" RV mattresses on Amazon that are 5ft. I have used these in a few van builds for clients' kids and grandkids' but have never tried them myself.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Another vote for the cheap foam mattress off Amazon, unless you are camping in cold areas. It’ll get very firm.
One advantage to them is that they can be easily cut to fit your space with a good fillet knife, like cutting out the fender wells and shortening for the tailgate. Then stuff it back into the cover. If it doesn’t work, you aren’t out much.

I shortened the one in our homemade camper to match the size of the RV Queen heavy felt pad between the floor and foam mattress.

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

Nemo Roamer has been an amazing addition for us. We’re tentatively campers (Gazelle!!) and the Wife and I use the Roamer Double. It self inflates enough after a few minutes where a couple of puffs of air from the inflation bag and we’re ready for bed pretty quickly.

Honu

Rank IV

Traveler III

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Bernau
Member #

Good morning all! So, this winter, I am building out the back of my taco short bed. I am putting a sleeping platform in, with a single shelf drawer system underneath. Opting for the single drawer because I have long items that can be stowed next to the drawer, but that isnt my question.
We currently take along a Gazelle T4 plus, which is an amazing tent. However, if we are only going for a single night, this can be a pain to put up, as its a large tent, and takes a while to set it just right. So, we are looking into converting the bed into a part time sleeper, for when we do a quick overnight, or have a high turnaround time between sleeps. The flooring will be plywood covered with outdoor rug, and will be fully side to side, as the supports will be the 2x6 that the cutouts on the bed support (its a '21 taco, short bed).
So, we are looking for solutions for a mattress that will generally fit this bed. If anyone has any first hand experiences with good products, please let me know. We currently use the Exped Megamat single wides, for sleeping, or cots, depending on the time of year. I have considered the Exped Megamat duo, but thats like over $400, and I am looking for something a little more budget friendly. Here is what I would ideally like-lets call it my unicorn mattress:
A mattress that fits lengthwise, for a 5.5 foot bed
One that can either fold up, or roll up, to the side, so that other luggage can go into that space as well.
Ideally, 4" thickness, for comfort.

There are several things that meet, or almost meet, these criteria, but I am hoping a few folks here have first hand experience with the products, will chime in, and give me a more real world report on what works.
As to the length of the bed; we are both short (I am 5'6", and she is 5'), so we can actually fit in the back pretty comfortably.
So, let me know what you have that worked, didnt work, or your experiences in general!
I use the exped megamat when I am solo camping without the vehicle and I have to say it is pretty exceptional. I see the comment about budget; I've actually seen a lot of these show up at REI in the "garage sale" because of returns for crazy discounts, I'd say it's worth checking into it if there is a location near you