Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I've noticed that it is very popular to match the rim/tire combo from the towing rig to the trailer. They look great, and could give you an extra spare, but beyond that I don't see much benefit. Since 100% of the trailer tires traction is going to keeping it inline with the rig, why add the weight and expense of an aggressive "oversized" tire? Most trail trailers seem to have more ground clearance than the towing rig anyway. Could some one give me some insight?

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

In my opinion it's mostly for style. That being said yes youd also have to just carry one spare for both vehicle and trailer, but if the trailer and vehicle both happen to get a flat at the same time, you're still screwed. Personally I would carry at least 2 spares, one for trailer and one for vehicle.

Reactions: Vyscera

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

as far as I know it is adviced to have pretty much the same width for your trailer so it keeps in line with the pulling vehicle following its tracks.. I guess having the same tires on both helps then.. having the same rims is just for looks I guess.

Reactions: Vyscera

rdk13

Rank 0

Traveler I

When I got my M416 trailer it had a spare with it. I found that it took up space and added some extra weight. I now run the same tires and rims on my trailer as my Jeep. I did this mostly so I don’t have to carry a spare for the Jeep and the trailer. If I had to I have three spares for the Jeep. Additionally, the trailer rides level with the Jeep and rides in the same tracks as the Jeep. Plus, I think it looks good. This wasn’t something I did right away. I got a great deal on the rims. Since I don’t use my trailer as much as my Jeep I bought used, but good, tires for the trailer. The real issue that I have found with having the same tires and rims as the Jeep is, when you decide to change tire size you now have 7 tires to change and not 5.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Usually the added weight is minimal unless you are running 35+" tires. Additionally the larger the OD of the tire the less revolutions per mile the tire has to spin... this means less heat in the bearings. While Im not saying everyone should run 37" tires on a trailer, I do advise that you do not run 12" trailer tires at highway speeds.

I saw one person say something about "What if your rig AND trailer both get a flat?" While its a simple answer, its not always fun. You fix the rig, grab the 2 flats and head for the nearest town. Yes it will add time to your journey, but is that REALLY a bad thing?

The other way to think about it is, "What if my rig gets 2 flats?" Well, now you have 3 spares at your disposal to be able to get off the trail and find replacements or worst case scenario... drag the trailer down the trail on the rim. Its much easier to move a trailer without a tire than a truck without a tire.