Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

So, I recently have decided that Mason Jars are fantastic. On my recent trip the first night we had eggs in a carton in the cooler. This worked, but the carton got all wet. The next day I mixed up the eggs, milk and salt/pepper in a Mason jar and put that in the cooler. Worked perfect.
I like Cold Coffee, I mixed that up and put it in a Mason Jar. It was perfect.
My wife likes to have Milk with breakfast, another small Mason Jar.
I found I am putting everything in Mason Jars, so easy and convenient. I am able to pre-mix things and only take the amount that I need.

What do you put in or use Mason Jars for?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Everything. I have a vacuum seal attachment so I'll dry store beans, rice, etc. in mason jars. I also have mason jar lid attachments that are water vents for fermenting, i make kimchee and kraut in mason jars and then brew kombucha and then add fruit to mason jars and add kombucha and refridgerate. i also use the jars out in the shop for paint thinner, etc. and of course they are great to drink out of.
i'll also put meat and marinate in a mason jar and run the vacuum sealer on it and that sucks the marinate into the meat in an hour or less versus having it sit overnight

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

My wife and I can (a lot) so we have them everywhere. The fridge looks like a lab experiment, pantry and utility room shelves are stacked and last rough count was over 1K empties in out garage. So yes Im into mason jars too. An as mentioned above got a few full if Shine also.

Reactions: grubworm

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Do y'all have any issues with the jars breaking from bouncing around in the rig/cooler? This sounds like a great idea but worried about the breakage.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Hmmmmm, two things come to mind with mason jars:

Heavy
Fragile

If it works for you cool, but seems like a bad choice in circumstances where weight and durability are a consideration.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Hmmmmm, two things come to mind with mason jars:

Heavy
Fragile

If it works for you cool, but seems like a bad choice in circumstances where weight and durability are a consideration.
that's a valid point. i don't take many out on camping trips and when I do, I make sure they don't touch so i stick a towel or something between them or stretch an old sock over them. hadnt had one break, but the glass clean up would be a pain

Reactions: bgenlvtex

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

You would be surprised at how sturdy a mason jar is. You can put food in them and freeze it and the jar does not break. They can rattle next to each other and not break, they bump into each other and not break. I have dropped them from counter top height and they did not break. Older are going to be even better with thicker glass, but the new ones have given me no issues.
As for weight, I dive a 3/4 ton Suburban, not an issue for me. I also come form overlanding by motorcycle, so everything I have fits on a bike. I have learned to go very minimal, so even with the mason jars, I doubt I have more than 300lbs of gear including tools. A lot of guys have more than that just on the roof.
Funny to hear about the weigh of a mason jar in one thread, and talk about an iron Scottle in another, those things are HEAVY. I could take 30 jars for the weight of one of those.

Reactions: grubworm

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Do y'all have any issues with the jars breaking from bouncing around in the rig/cooler? This sounds like a great idea but worried about the breakage.
In a word, NO. I bounced around on over 100 miles of off road trails this weekend, some very wash board, a lot of severe bouncing, some deep holes, etc and I had no issues.
If you look at Van Dwellers, or #Vanlife, people that live full time in some kind of van or other vehicle, a lot of them use Mason jars. They spend their life full time on the road and they do a lot of dirt and gravel roads camping on BLM/DNR type land. They never have issues with breakage either.
Mason jars have been around for over 150 years(1858), they have stood the test of time.

Reactions: Sparksalot

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

In a word, NO. I bounced around on over 100 miles of off road trails this weekend, some very wash board, a lot of severe bouncing, some deep holes, etc and I had no issues.
If you look at Van Dwellers, or #Vanlife, people that live full time in some kind of van or other vehicle, a lot of them use Mason jars. They spend their life full time on the road and they do a lot of dirt and gravel roads camping on BLM/DNR type land. They never have issues with breakage either.
Mason jars have been around for over 150 years(1858), they have stood the test of time.
Thanks for the input.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I've never once broken a mason jar. In fact, they are my preferred "Tupperware" for my daily lunch at work.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

Ive been using mason jars for literally everything for YEARS, theyre my cups at my house, my to-go coffee cups, use them for cooking, camping, storage, projects. literally everything. i think i have every color ever made,,, hell i even have a tattoo of one. lol

They are amazing little works of art, and theres so many attachments to take it even further.

Ive broken quite a few, usually due to the rambling around in the floor of the jeep or drops, but recently deployed to afghanistan with one, it sat in my pouch on my gear, went on every mission and it lasted the entire deployment only to be broken by kids when i got home. lol

Reactions: CTO1Mike