Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pocomoke City, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Headed back to my old neighborhood this weekend. Hoping to capture some fall colors in the mountains with some photography, hiking and fly fishing. Planning to hit Crystal Mill outside Marble, CO. Take Last Dollar Road into Telluride and spend some time at Alta Lakes. Ophir Pass to Silverton and have a base camp near the Bandera Mine on Mineral Creek. Drop down to NM for a couple of days fly fishing the San Juan River and exploring the Bisti Wilderness. Pick my wife up in Durango and head to the Grand Canyon and Sedona, via Monument Valley.

Very familiar with SW Colorado an NW New Mexico but any insights into the Arizona portion would be greatly appreciated. As of now, planning to base camp in the Kaibab NF east of Grand Canyon Village and then taking Schnebly Hill Rd. and camping at the top as a base for Sedona.

Last edited:

Xcape Pod

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Maryland, USA
First Name
Derick
Last Name
Call
Member #

I'm jealous! I was stationed in Colorado for 4 years and now I'm stationed at Fort Meade Maryland... I'd go back to Colorado in a heartbeat have fun!!

Reactions: Fly Guy

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Headed back to my old neighborhood this weekend. Hoping to capture some fall colors in the mountains with some photography, hiking and fly fishing. Planning to hit Crystal Mill outside Marble, CO. Take Last Dollar Road into Telluride and spend some time at Alta Lakes. Ophir Pass to Silverton and have a base camp near the Bandera Mine on Mineral Creek. Drop down to NM for a couple of days fly fishing the San Juan River and exploring the Bisti Wilderness. Pick my wife up in Durango and head to the Grand Canyon and Sedona, via Monument Valley.

Very familiar with SW Colorado an NW New Mexico but any insights into the Arizona portion would be greatly appreciated. As of now, planning to base camp in the Kaibab NF east of Grand Canyon Village and then taking Schnebly Hill Rd. and camping at the top as a base for Sedona.
Try to hit Monument Valley along the AZ/UT if you have time

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Some of my OB buddies and I are thinking of doing a trip next fall out west. We are all in North Carolina. Any tips of what to hit? I think we'll only have 9 days...think that is too rushed?

Fly Guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pocomoke City, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Some of my OB buddies and I are thinking of doing a trip next fall out west. We are all in North Carolina. Any tips of what to hit? I think we'll only have 9 days...think that is too rushed?
Nine days would be very tight if you each are driving your own vehicle. It's a solid three day drive each direction if you're not sharing driving duties. I'm 1600 miles in on day two (solo) and still have 6.5 hours until my first stop and overnight tomorrow at Crystal Mill.

That said, my heart lies in NW New Mexico and SW Colorado ... Durango, Ouray and Silverton are great areas to explore. A bunch of old mines, trails, hiking, fishing and photography opportunities. The Alpine Loop can be started outside Silverton. Head over to Cortez and check out the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde NP. From there head south and check out Shiprock and then take some time at the Bisti Wilderness ... amazing rock and sandstone formations ... Google It! Chaco Canyon is also a good trip!

If you like to fly fish for trout ... you have to head over to the San Juan River and fish the quality waters ... you'll be amazed by the shear number and size of fish.

14-21 days is what you really need to not be rushed.

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S

You can't go wrong in Sedona, amazing places to camp, hundreds of trails all with spectacular views. We were out there a couple of months ago and Schnebly Hill was a little rough. Right now we are getting a lot of rain (3-5" in an hour type storms) so some trails/locations may be a little degraded. Keep a sharp eye on the weather and stick to the high ground when you set up camp, unless you consider a late night flash flood moving your camp to Phoenix fun. Have a great trip.