Mark's 2016 Toyota Tacoma Build

• HTML tutorial

MJ_PDX

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR 97225
Member #

Starting with and Access Cab TRD Off-Road Tacoma, So far I have bought/built/added..

TRD Pro wheels in gunmetal gray, Goodyear Duratrac tires (255-75R17), Leer 100XR canopy with windoors and removable front slider and Pop-n-Lock systems installed on both tailgate & canopy for some convenient security
IMG_0652.JPG

Then there is the CoverKing 'tactical' seat covers, AVS window guards, weathertech mats, Rockblox mud flaps and door sill protectors to keep things looking nicer longer...
IMG_0623.JPG

Followed by removing the rear jump seats and building a platform for my trail partner, with storage underneath for my tools, cables, recovery gear etc.
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG

In back there is an ARB rear differential breather, a rubber bed mat, more recovery gear (maxtrax, high-lift jack, shovel & ax) and full-width sleeping platform I built (no pic) for when setting up a tent is just too much hassle...
IMG_0610.JPG

Up front is Redline hood struts, an Off-Grid Engineering dual battery system, a custom RTMR fuse/switch system I built, and an ARB twin air compressor on a custom mount along with a BirDawg Industries mirror riser/ram mount, a custom switch panel, a Prodigy P3 brake controller for trailer duties and a custom dash mount I built to hold my Yeasu 857-D Ham/CB radio.
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG

Latest addition has been Pelfrybilt rock sliders for a little extra protection...
IMG_0690.JPG

Future plans are for some high clearance bumpers front and back as well as suspension upgrades and cooking/kitchen improvements.... Always a work in progress, and half the fun... when we're not going places...
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG

Directive51

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wetumpka, AL, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hoggard
Member #

Great looking build man! I'm still waiting for my Leer XR100 to come in. How are you liking the Leer?

MJ_PDX

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR 97225
Member #

I like it a lot. Had a minor window alignment issue when it was first installed, but the dealer corrected it no problem and I have had zero issues with it since.
The Windoors makes it the most useful/accessible canopy I've ever had.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I'm very interested in the radio mount you did. I'm trying to decide where to put my new CB in my 2017 Tacoma. Any chance you have some more pics of the build process for that? Also what does your Qi button do now?

MJ_PDX

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR 97225
Member #

I'm very interested in the radio mount you did. I'm trying to decide where to put my new CB in my 2017 Tacoma. Any chance you have some more pics of the build process for that? Also what does your Qi button do now?
That radio has a removable face plate, so what you see in the dash is very shallow. The large main body of the radio is mounted under the passenger seat.
The custom mount/dash panel I made from black acrylic sheet with mounting 'lugs' laminated on back to hold radio faceplate flush. The Qi system is still functional, just not accessible. As I just closed the front of that cubby with my panel, it is still open/hollow behind the radio so if Qi button is accidentally turned on, nothing bad happens (like frying electronics...). Actually I am considering re-purposing the Qi button/slot for some other use like anytime camera/front camera/anytime navigation mods.

I might have a few more pics at home, I can check when I get off work. Hope that helps.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Awesome thanks. Yeah fair point I forgot your nice radio has that faceplate part that is removable. For my cheap entry-level CB, I was thinking that "nook" area in the dash would be good because I don't use it really. I had a Nexus 5 which had wireless charging, but now I have a Nexus 5x which doesn't. Also, does anyone get in their truck and toss their phone down in the console? Mine goes in a magnetic mount up on the vent area so I can use it for Waze and bluetooth audio. So I'm fine with repurposing that nook area below and that Qi button as well, since I literally never use it. Was thinking maybe set up the CB then use a button there to enable/disable power to it so it always comes on at same volume etc.

Nice work overall on your truck btw!

Reactions: Wandering With You

MJ_PDX

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR 97225
Member #

Yeah, I found the Qi charger to be more of a gimmick too... Tried to use it for a while when I first got the truck, just wasn't as useful as I thought it might be so I have no problem using it for something more useful. Good idea using Qi switch as radio power, I like it.
I think someone over on TacomaWorld put a small CB in there on a new Tacoma, but they might have also had cut out the back of the cubby to make it work, I'm not sure now...
Depending on how squeamish you are about cutting on your new truck it can be an option. Just have to be careful and remove console before cutting on it as there is some airbag related wiring back behind there.... I've also seen the very small ones mounted to the inside of the center console. you lose a bit of storage space, but it seems a reasonable solution for some.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Yeah I think I've seen that truck you mentioned, with the Qi nook area cut out to make room for the body of a CB. My other idea which I kind of really like, would be to put the CB in the glove box and route external speaker and mic cords outside to main dash/console area for usage. Given that simple CB radio users like myself basically keep it at channel 19 90% of the time, but if I need to change it, I can still easily reach over, open glove box, and switch channel as necessary. Now if I was adding HAM radio usage like you, that may not be as applicable to use while driving. But I do really like the idea of "out of sight" mods.

WhiskeyWilson

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Georgia
First Name
Drew
Last Name
WIlson
Member #

Love your truck and the idea of mounting your Ham radio in the worthless Qi spot. Do you keep your Maxtrax mounted like that when you go offroading? Looks like a great spot for storage.

MJ_PDX

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR 97225
Member #

Love your truck and the idea of mounting your Ham radio in the worthless Qi spot. Do you keep your Maxtrax mounted like that when you go offroading? Looks like a great spot for storage.
Thanks. Yes, that is where the Maxtrax live full time. They take up very little bed space there and are pretty secure locked up in the canopy so I can leave them in there and know I always 'just have them' if I or someone else needs them.
If/when I get the rear bumper and/or a rack on top, they will probably move, but then I'd worry more about securing them, sun damage, Etc. and probably have to remember to load/unload them when I go out and about... Time will tell.

SoTexTacoma

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Victoria, TX
Member #

Wow, nice rig! I'm in the process of building a 14 TRDOffRoad. Tell me, how are you liking the tall, skinny tires? Been considering going this route instead of the CMC with 285's. Have read many different opinions on them. Some people love them and others site squirrely handling characteristics. Just wanting another Tacoma owner's opinion.

MJ_PDX

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR 97225
Member #

Wow, nice rig! I'm in the process of building a 14 TRDOffRoad. Tell me, how are you liking the tall, skinny tires? Been considering going this route instead of the CMC with 285's. Have read many different opinions on them. Some people love them and others site squirrely handling characteristics. Just wanting another Tacoma owner's opinion.
I went skinny for several reasons... It allowed me to get the tallest tire I could on a stock suspension (until I can afford an upgrade), there are no interference issues with UCA and other mechanicals, a narrower tire increases ground pressure at the contact patch and in many conditions can help with traction... they are less than 1/2" narrower than the 265's that were on it so there's probably not a big difference there. They were less expensive...

I have not noticed any difference in handling characteristics. If anything, the extra sidewall height has made the ride more comfy/compliant when aired-down off road.
Again, these were not a huge change from the stock tires I had so not too much of a difference, but I could see where if someone was switching from a much wider and/or low profiles tire to these would see a very noticeable (and maybe unsettling) difference in handling as the taller tire will deform and 'move around' more than the shorter ones... but that is exactly what I wanted for overlanding so that works for me. No noticeable change to me in grip or stability on the street either.

Also the OR suspension is pretty soft so the truck moves around quite a bit anyway. The firmer suspension on the Sport might exaggerate the differences in tire behavior making it seem worse to some people...