Mark Twain National Forest

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Washington County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Lickenbrock
Has anyone been to Mark Twain National Forest? We're heading out this coming weekend to try out our new rooftop tent. We are looking for a good place to set the RTT up and 3 additional tents for the kids. Were looking to do some hiking and also some fishing.....so a lake nearby would be nice. We're just trying to get an idea of where we could pull off and set up.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Hercules Glades wilderness area is nice and has everything you mentioned. Plenty of places to disperse camp or campground camp, it is right by Bull Shoals lake which has good fishing, and Coy Bald is a good place to hike...

Reactions: HYRYSC

Gta6198

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Kansas City, MO, USA
First Name
Gerard
Last Name
Aro
Hercules Glades wilderness area is nice and has everything you mentioned. Plenty of places to disperse camp or campground camp, it is right by Bull Shoals lake which has good fishing, and Coy Bald is a good place to hike...
I've been wanting to check this area out as well. Any restrictions or closed areas during the cooler months?

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Has anyone been to Mark Twain National Forest? We're heading out this coming weekend to try out our new rooftop tent. We are looking for a good place to set the RTT up and 3 additional tents for the kids. Were looking to do some hiking and also some fishing.....so a lake nearby would be nice. We're just trying to get an idea of where we could pull off and set up.
I would go to St. Jo State Park. It's wonderful. Then there is Council Bluff State Park. Both are outstanding.
Zim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I just thought about this. Remember this is hunting season, and these folks down here are really serious about it...lol. I'd be careful bouncing around the forest, even the National Forest and State parks. Orange would be advised. I was in the National Forest almost every week this year and was disappointed with the infastructure, maintenance etc. It looks like hell in some spots. State Parks are Awesome. Go there and visit the other.
Zim

Reactions: Offroadnutz

nfsulli

Rank 0

Contributor II

Collinsville, IL, USA
First Name
Nichole
Last Name
Sullivan
Hi All,

We just got a rooftop tent as an early X-mas present :) We're local-ish to the Mark Twain area (IL side of the river). I've done lots of backpacking dispersed camping but I'm eager to try my first rooftop adventure.

I wanted to add on to this post to get feedback to any specific spots or big don'ts for this National Forest.

Thanks in advance!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hi All,

We just got a rooftop tent as an early X-mas present :) We're local-ish to the Mark Twain area (IL side of the river). I've done lots of backpacking dispersed camping but I'm eager to try my first rooftop adventure.

I wanted to add on to this post to get feedback to any specific spots or big don'ts for this National Forest.

Thanks in advance!
Come on over to Lake Wapapello near Poplar Bluff. Beautiful lake, lots of things to see, do, hike.
Zim
DSC08948.JPG