Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

3 weeks is a lot to spend in NB, NS and PEI. Are you planning to explore Quebec too? The St. Lawrence/Gaspe area in Quebec is highly recommended. :grinning:
It all depends how things unfold. I like to stay in a place for a day or two to hike, bike, and paddle; just general exploring off the beaten path. I suspect that I could fill 3 weeks in NB, NS, and PEI with 10 main destinations. But I would love to visit Quebec and St Lawrence too.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Right now I believe PEI will be my turnaround point. I'm hoping to take my time as much as possible and just enjoy things as I go. Very early planning right now, just started this morning, all subject to change as I go, but I'm thinking 3 weeks will be in Canada. Hoping to have few deadlines, like camping permits, to keep me on a schedule.
Sounds about right to me. I found PEI to be a major highlight! I prefer it over Cape Breton in many ways, yet bth are unique and I've been (so easy to say). I also blew through the lower NB using the main through way and stopping only at Hopewell Rocks (not to be missed). My intent is to see more coastline this time up. And a possible off-road run to a beach spot.

We slowed down across the Northern shoreline of NS and next time I will not be working from the road and 'will' search out better stays. Now PEI is something else entirely! Wonderful stays and a more inviting coastline, IMHO.. We took the ferry over (free to enter) from Caribou and drove up the east coast, cross the top and over to the west coast, exiting on the Bridge (fee to leave). Highly recommend Seal Cove Campground if you cross on the ferry as the first nights stay. Stay on the shoreline sites, wood sites are quite buggy. We dug clams and picked oysters for dinner there. The other I highly recommend is Bayside Campground in the Cavendish area. It sits amongst some of the most beautiful beaches in the area and Dalvay by the Sea is an easy drive from there. Oh ya, Cavendish as well..

Reactions: Rocksylvania

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Sounds about right to me. I found PEI to be a major highlight! I prefer it over Cape Breton in many ways, yet bth are unique and I've been (so easy to say). I also blew through the lower NB using the main through way and stopping only at Hopewell Rocks (not to be missed). My intent is to see more coastline this time up. And a possible off-road run to a beach spot.

We slowed down across the Northern shoreline of NS and next time I will not be working from the road and 'will' search out better stays. Now PEI is something else entirely! Wonderful stays and a more inviting coastline, IMHO.. We took the ferry over (free to enter) from Caribou and drove up the east coast, cross the top and over to the west coast, exiting on the Bridge (fee to leave). Highly recommend Seal Cove Campground if you cross on the ferry as the first nights stay. Stay on the shoreline sites, wood sites are quite buggy. We dug clams and picked oysters for dinner there. The other I highly recommend is Bayside Campground in the Cavendish area. It sits amongst some of the most beautiful beaches in the area and Dalvay by the Sea is an easy drive from there. Oh ya, Cavendish as well..
Wow, thanks for all that! I would usually avoid a ferry on the way but in this case, I might go for it. Fresh clams are on the list, haha. I'll definitely be doing a few trails in both directions too. But I'm not looking for anything too technical since I'll probably be solo. But, at the same time, the rig and I need some adventure .
IMG_20200113_111348_340.jpgIMG_20191021_153117_827.jpg

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Wow, thanks for all that! I would usually avoid a ferry on the way but in this case, I might go for it. Fresh clams are on the list, haha. I'll definitely be doing a few trails in both directions too. But I'm not looking for anything too technical since I'll probably be solo. But, at the same time, the rig and I need some adventure .
View attachment 138804View attachment 138805
I'm amongst those that define between Over-landing & Off-roading. My routes are mainly Over-landing, meaning any decent stock 4wd should be entirely capable. I too will be looking for more adventurous routes, yet still within my Over-landing thought of things.

Good looking rig!

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm amongst those that define between Over-landing & Off-roading. My routes are mainly Over-landing, meaning any decent stock 4wd should be entirely capable. I too will be looking for more adventurous routes, yet still within my Over-landing thought of things.

Good looking rig!
100% agree. I enjoy offroading from my friends' passenger seats.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

This is my intention Cape Spencer to Fundy National. All byway, good part being dirt and a portion may very be that step past over-landing requiring some clearance.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 11.35.45 AM.png

The St Stephen to St John I'm still researching.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Anyone here know if you can drive through on the Fundy Trail Parkway? I heard both yes and no...

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
We have been thinking of a similar trip and doing the TCAT. We're debating of either doing the western portion and doing Alaska and taking the panamerican up to Prudhoe Bay or doing the east side and checking out NS, NFL and the whole eastern coastal region and central eastern regions on dirt or totally off road. Ideally we had thought of taking the entire summer when the kids are out of school and going in two legs. Leg one was to do the eastern part with my mom who'd love to see Canada then take the TCAT to Edmonton, have my wife and kids fly in and send mom back home so we could do the second leg to Prudhoe Bay and the Yukon. I don't know if thats even fathomable in 60 days.

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We have been thinking of a similar trip and doing the TCAT. We're debating of either doing the western portion and doing Alaska and taking the panamerican up to Prudhoe Bay or doing the east side and checking out NS, NFL and the whole eastern coastal region and central eastern regions on dirt or totally off road. Ideally we had thought of taking the entire summer when the kids are out of school and going in two legs. Leg one was to do the eastern part with my mom who'd love to see Canada than take the TCAT to Edmonton, have my wife and kids fly in and send mom back home so we could do the second leg to Prudhoe Bay and the Yukon. I don't know if thats even fathomable in 60 days.
Are you talking the Great Trail or something else? Curious!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Folks I'm going to add another site/tool into your research mix of an area. This is one of my favorites. Geocashing.com . I linked the NB area (hopefully). This is a game that is so much fun to play, yet... so much better a tool to explore an area you don't know. Local place cashes in areas of interest to them! How cool is that, aye? Find the cashe or not, you are in the area of interest, enjoy! Trust me, not only areas in the woods, but a few pretty travens as well!

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

This is my intention Cape Spencer to Fundy National. All byway, good part being dirt and a portion may very be that step past over-landing requiring some clearance.

View attachment 138814

The St Stephen to St John I'm still researching.
A portion of the trail map is not accurate due to construction in progress. You might need a bigger detour to get to Fundy NP.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi @Road — Did you complete this Canada Maritime Tour? I'm planning something very similar for September.
Thanks!
Edit: Rough combination of your two maps, 8hrs a day, 16 days.
Have you done this run yet?
Hey @Road et al. I'm planning a 4 week trip from PA to Nova Scotia for July or September this year. Would like to pick your brain if you've been already and/or discuss being part of the group if this is still in the works.
3 weeks is a lot to spend in NB, NS and PEI. Are you planning to explore Quebec too? The St. Lawrence/Gaspe area in Quebec is highly recommended. :grinning:

Hey guys - as the guy who started this thread almost two years ago, it's nice to see it gain some new traction.

Nope, never did make it back up to the Maritimes, though have done NB, PEI, and Nova Scotia several times in the past, before there was a bridge over to PEI. Also been up around the north side of the St Lawrence to French-speaking Sept-Iles, Quebec, too. I really want to get back up and explore that area much more in-depth.

I ended up doing a couple trips from Maine to the backcountry borderlands of West Texas (exploring the same hundred mile off-grid area for 17 weeks on one trip). Then got pretty excited about testing gear and a variety of basecamp setups in New England lake settings two summers in a row. I've had my adventure rig out over 600 nights in the last two years. Little to no cell service a lot of the places I like best, so rarely check in here during those times.

I'm on the coast of Maine right now, and headed back to Cajun Country and the Mexican border soon for more of my photo-journalism South of I-10 project.

I think 3 weeks or more would be wonderful to have to explore the Maritimes, with a few more to better explore Newfoundland/Labrador and northern Quebec.

I've learned in the last couple years I tend to be a slow travel guy, and for that reason don't usually fit in too well with group runs. I like to dawdle and explore and get to know an area in a more in-depth way than most folks have time, or desire, for.

Certainly wouldn't mind running across a few of you here and there if I'm around along the Maine coast when you come through, or up in the Maritimes and Newfoundland/Labrador if any of you do that. Other than spending a few months along the border, the rest of my year is not yet committed.

I'd love to re-explore a lot of the Maine Coast and North Maine woods, too.

swissarmytrailer_8081-900.jpg

~ Road

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I smiled as you spoke of 3 weeks.. I did 4,000 miles in 46 days and felt I went way to fast! LOL.. I did get the broad picture and know where I wish to explore in depth. I am so looking forward to this year and doing so!

Now, that you're here, let me ask ya all: There's a run between Cape Spencer to West Beach, according to Gaia it looks like you could go all the way to Black River? Has anyone done this run? What can you tell me about it?

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 8.14.32 AM.png

Blue line is the intended route.. Green marker is a POI and Red (supposed to be blue) as possible overnights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I smiled as you spoke of 3 weeks.. I did 4,000 miles in 46 days and felt I went way to fast! LOL.. I did get the broad picture and know where I wish to explore in depth. I am so looking forward to this year and doing so!

Now, that you're here, let me ask ya all: There's a run between Cape Spencer to West Beach, according to Gaia it looks like you could go all the way to Black River? Has anyone done this run? What can you tell me about it?

View attachment 138893

Blue line is the intended route.. Green marker is a POI and Red (supposed to be blue) as possible overnights.
Just learned Old Black Water Road does not go through. No bridge at the East Branch of the River. Curious if in summer you could ford the the river... Beach & Evans Cove still on the list.

Update: East Branch is said to be deep.. Around I go! Such a shame...

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Another area of interest as I scope out spots.. Caledonia Gorge. Looks pretty darn cool! Have been? Looks pretty darn accessible from what I can research..

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 1.57.18 PM.png

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Report on Caledonia Gorge (from another forum) is the front part a car can get in and it gets rougher as you travel in, eventually being ATV or high clearance vehicles. Said several spots to camp along the river and the river is shallow for wading. It's on my list as at least an afternoon/overnight. I just it as hard to get all the way to Fundy National and not drive a little further to see the bay in action along the tidal flats.. Besides Hopewell is a short drive up the road.