Enthusiast I

Utah county, Utah
First Name
Frankie
Last Name
Vega
Member #

Hi everyone,

I been looking at the feed about mapping systems when off road. This might be for someone on a budget but still needs something they can use when there is no more signal. I can say the app Map.me is really good and pretty dam accurate. I volunteer as search and rescue, the unit uses this as a secondary reference (we all use Garmin handhelds). Anyway I use it in my rig also when I head out into back woods, plus the map download system has maps for across the pond also. This comes in handy if you travel and need a quick mapping system.

I hope this helps the members that are new and on a budget. Oh and I'm not sponsored by Map.me.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I agree. It has never let me down. The one down side I have found is it won't do long distances without service, I'm talking a thousand miles. It does 2 and 3 hundred miles just fine with with no service. Also it seems to take routes I would like to take, where my Garmin doesn't like traveling the back roads (it's an old cheap unit).

Sent from my SM-P580 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Summit435

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Maps.me is ok. I use it as a backup app. I always suggest running the app before a trip because it typically wants to update maps periodically and if you don't have the current maps sometimes areas won't load.

If you are a volunteer you can get a free license to Gaia GPS. https://www.gaiagps.com/apps/free_for_volunteers/

Summit435

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Utah county, Utah
First Name
Frankie
Last Name
Vega
Member #

Maps.me is ok. I use it as a backup app. I always suggest running the app before a trip because it typically wants to update maps periodically and if you don't have the current maps sometimes areas won't load.

If you are a volunteer you can get a free license to Gaia GPS. https://www.gaiagps.com/apps/free_for_volunteers/
Yeah, I have run through those issues so we update all the time. Thank you for the heads up on Gaia, we had no idea about this system. We will look into it. Again this for us is only secondary, our primary is maps and then our Garmin handheld systems.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Yeah, I have run through those issues so we update all the time. Thank you for the heads up on Gaia, we had no idea about this system. We will look into it. Again this for us is only secondary, our primary is maps and then our Garmin handheld systems.

If you have questions about it head over to the Gaia thread. I don't want to derail this one.

I used Maps.me in Baja and Pocket Earth along with Gaia. Pocket Earth needs service for routing though.

Reactions: Summit435

Summit435

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Utah county, Utah
First Name
Frankie
Last Name
Vega
Member #

If you have questions about it head over to the Gaia thread. I don't want to derail this one.

I used Maps.me in Baja and Pocket Earth along with Gaia. Pocket Earth needs service for routing though.
I will do that and thank you