Map Filter for disputed paths

• HTML tutorial

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
I was out exploring today and came upon what looked like an open, through road. I checked Google Maps and made a judgement call based on what I saw. I will admit, the road was iffy. I got 1/2 mile down when I hit the fence. It became obvious I was probably somewhere I shouldn’t be. I turned around and headed back out to be met by a livid property owner. Apparently I was not the only “idiot” to try to get through there. I apologized and advised him to post a sign.

So what if I could now log onto the map and post the road as private to save other fellow Overlanders the privilege of meeting the same property owner?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I use an OnX map chip in my handheld Garmin when I an on foot and hunting.

Gaia has same/ similar layers on its maps showing public and private land.

But, just as you did, an apology and an exit was in your best interest.

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
Followup: After some research it appears this road was legally still an open right of way. Which is where the problem lies. Sometimes these roads fall so far out of disrepair (or the local kids cause so many problems) that the adjacent land owners decide no one needs to go down that road. We could argue for hours whether or not they have the right to do so. But it happens. The CORRECT course of action to vacate an existing right of way is to petition the county commission for a road closure. However, most county commissioners don't want to bother.

My point is an indicator of "conflicting roadways" would be in everyone's best interest.

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial