Holtville, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Michael, or whomever may be working on app issues/suggestions. I am located in California and a feature that I think would be incredibly advantageous would be a Forest Fire layer. I have seen/used one at work that displays the area of a fire over a topo map. I think it would be great to know the area a fire is in before heading out. If I'm already in the field it would be nice to see if I'm being threatened or even possible evacuation routes. I tried to get this layer on Gaia Gps but it's only available to premium membership, not basic. I would think a life saving feature like this would be available to everyone, but no, only to those that are willing to pay more. Since California and many other places do have a fire season I just think it would be helpful. Something else, which may already be in the works is the search feature on maps. To search a trail, gps coordinates, town, lake, and just anything on the map would be nice. I'm using the Android app. If these are already in the works then just disregard my last, if not, please consider them, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like these features. Thank for at least reading. Later. Hope to see you on the trail.

Reactions: Alfonso Rojas

Alfonso Rojas

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Modesto, CA
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Rojas
Member #

Wondering......are you asking for a “live” fire burn area update or past fire burn area.
Sounds like he’s looking for something live. I think it’s a great idea to put it all in one. I know cal fires website is updated regularly, but I understand being able to have it all in the same app would be nice. However would it be possible to get updates if you were out of cell range?

Reactions: SandBadgerFG5

SandBadgerFG5

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Holtville, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Wondering......are you asking for a “live” fire burn area update or past fire burn area.
BKD Dave, I would like an overlay that shows the current burn area for active (live) fires. I have the wildfire app which links me to pertinent web sites about most active fires. California, Arizona, Nevada, and other states. I can get gos coordinates or general description boundaries. But, it would be nice to just click to add an overlay on a map I'm already planning a trip on and see what may be a potential problem. I.E. the Apple Fire, has the potential to ruin a planned trip for me. I'm not going to head out if let's say the winds change and push it north towards my camp area. It's terrible for all those that live near any wildfire and the potential for loss of property as well as life is far greater than any silly trip I might have planned. But, I don't want to head out and add to the problem. I know it won't be live per say. That's why I'm saying active. Because most web sites and maps are updated each day by the information from the command center. Hope this clears it up a little more. I recommend getting the wildfire app and checking it out. It has a lot of great info on current fires. Later

SandBadgerFG5

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Holtville, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Sounds like he’s looking for something live. I think it’s a great idea to put it all in one. I know cal fires website is updated regularly, but I understand being able to have it all in the same app would be nice. However would it be possible to get updates if you were out of cell range?
Alfonso Rojas, that's pretty much it. Not necessarily live, but active. I'm sure your on track about not having cell signal. But my plan for that would be at the last place I know I'm going to have signal I'll update the info. Prior to leaving, part of my planning would be the weather forecast and info about the fire. That way I could check what is already being predicted with the fire situation and then make a more informed decision on my route, plan, alternatives. See ya on the trail. Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.