Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I notice a lot of gps map users, other than scouting areas on google maps i use either my trucks compass or position of sun or moon for direction. Current lamimated state map for location thats it. In all honesty part of the fun of overlanding to me is that feeling of being lost and figuring out which way to go its part of the adventure . Anyone else do it old school like me ?

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I never leave on any adventure without a Gazetteer...I always have a compass and if I’m really deep in the backcountry a topo map is a must...I was lost backpacking in Bryce Cannon one time and a topo map and compass were the only things that got me where I needed to be...I’m an anolog guy at heart so I never solely rely on an electronic device...

Reactions: David C Gibbs

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Went for a trip on a boat that had tracking GPS map thing on a TV screen. Visited all sorts of cool places and islands. All I remember of that trip was a GPS TV screen.

I found the same thing over-landing. If I use the GPS on my phone, I never learn and don't get to see very much of the area. I always "feel" lost and worried the GPS may fail.

-jim lee

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I attempt to use a gps when out exploring and sometimes even go though the trouble to make a route at home but by the time I get out my ADD kicks in and I end up going way off course, I end up using it more for marking interesting stuff and possible camping spots . I always have paper maps with me because I find it easier to locate things and i don't really trust technology.

For a while I had a map of Oregon and Washington on my wall and I would close my eyes and toss a dart at try to go wherever the dart landed .

Reactions: Overland Omnivore

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
I use to do the same thing, we would go to the cafe and order french fries , put one on the map and spin it! Wherever it pointed is where I went! Had some great adventures.