Map books or gps system

• HTML tutorial

18_PowerWagon

Rank 0

Traveler I

I use an app called OnX (primarily for hunting) but it has all of the forests service roads and works with your GPS in your phone with no service. You can download the map before going in as much detail as you want it also has a lot of layers you can turn on and off. There are a lot of cool features. You can get a week free trial when you download it. Just because I am paranoid I alway have a paper map back up.

Enthusiast I

Burlington, Vermont
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Hyde
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1DGT
I use the state of Vermont website that breaks roads down into class and town so i can search each town i want then i cross those maps with a Delorme or Jimapo Map book to find better info on the roads. then i use the Nav system in my Tacoma along with a handheld Garmin Rino to find the trail.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
We use a Garmin Oregon 450 in the car with either Garmin sourced maps, OpenStreet maps or a combination of both. The 450 works great in the LC, but can be a bit hard on the eyes. It doubles as our hiking and marine GPS too. Base Camp on the MacBook with the same maps for plotting and transferring routes, POIs, and restrictions. The LC has navigation too, but worthless off the beaten track. We always, always have paper maps and are familiar with terrain association, triangulation, and all those other tricks Uncle Sam teaches us.

Last edited:

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

I use paper maps, trail books, etc. for planning trail runs and gathering ideas. Gaia premium with Nat Geo maps, USFS overlays, and a few others for actually drawing up the routes and in-cab navigation. Paper maps in case shit hits the fan.

Reactions: old_man