Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
I recently acquired a 2008 FJ Cruiser and wondered if there are any FJ specific mods that are absolutely necessary for safe overlanding. I know some vehicles have certain known issues that need aftermarket mods to fix and wondered if anybody had seen this on FJs. Thanks.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

My top 5:

Disable the DRLs
Get a LightInSight for the windshield
Bolt an awning to the roof rack, if equipped
Add some rock rails if you don't already have them
Get a Trasharoo or comparable to hang on the spare tire

1661688432664.png

1661688466121.png

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Reactions: Kevin108

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I think you may be asking the wrong question. Or, I just don't understand it. What equipment you would "need" or "want" would depend on where you go, for how long, terrain type, who is with you, etc. So, there really is no way to answer your question. However, you asked about SAFE overlanding so I can assure you that disabling DRL's doesn't make you safer. If you can clarify the above I think you could get the response you are looking for.

Loose Nutts off road

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sumner County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Ricky
Last Name
Garhartt
Member #

I recently acquired a 2008 FJ Cruiser and wondered if there are any FJ specific mods that are absolutely necessary for safe overlanding. I know some vehicles have certain known issues that need aftermarket mods to fix and wondered if anybody had seen this on FJs. Thanks.
I have an 07 fj they are extremely capable
Stock . But for me the first thing I added was Rock sliders .
If I had to list 5
Rock sliders
Comms
First aid
Recover point and strap
Lift / tires

Reactions: RedRyder

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
I think you may be asking the wrong question. Or, I just don't understand it. What equipment you would "need" or "want" would depend on where you go, for how long, terrain type, who is with you, etc. So, there really is no way to answer your question. However, you asked about SAFE overlanding so I can assure you that disabling DRL's doesn't make you safer. If you can clarify the above I think you could get the response you are looking for.
I'm referring to mandatory mechanical mods. I remember in my old Tacoma the factory four wheel drive had an issue that required an aftermarket collar of some kind. Wondering if there's anything like that in the FJ's.

Loose Nutts off road

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sumner County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Ricky
Last Name
Garhartt
Member #

I'm referring to mandatory mechanical mods. I remember in my old Tacoma the factory four wheel drive had an issue that required an aftermarket collar of some kind. Wondering if there's anything like that in the FJ's.
I think if anything it’s just staying on top of basic maintenance really . I haven’t experienced anything g that really needed to be swapped maybe just a transmission flush

Shokaract

Rank I

Contributor II

Carlisle, OH, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Davis
I’ve owned my FJ for 7 years and the only mandatory thing I would recommend is maintenance.

Buuuutttttttt, think about what you’re wanting to do with your FJ before you leap out and start buying stuff. Are you going to do more aggressive trailing or more mild stuff? Will you need mud terrains, all terrains, or highway tires? Are you going to be going over rocky trails and need skids plates/sliders? The FJ is very capable in stock form, but again, tailor your rig to what your adventure dictates.

For me, I went with a lift kit, aggressive MT tires, skids, and sliders because I wanted the extra clearance, protection, and the ability to go anywhere I wanted to.

Reactions: Travelinjohnnie