Mammoth Advice Needed

• HTML tutorial

OverlandRecon

Rank II

Advocate II

Hi Everyone, I've decided to take the family up to Mammoth this summer and need a little advice. This is not a camping trip. We are going to stay in a hotel and explore the area, it will be the first time for all of us. It will probably be a 3 day trip, and the drive is about 6 hours from home. Now here's where I need your advice. I have a 4 door Rubicon, and the wife has an AWD Ford Flex. The Flex is the logical vehicle to take up there, better mileage, more comfortable, easier to drive... We are not going up there with the intent of doing any trail runs, but if there are any close to town, and I have time, I would really be upset that I didn't bring the Jeep. So what do you think? It's only three days, will I have enough to do in town, or should I bring the Jeep. Devil on one shoulder angel on the other, which do I listen to?

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Take both vehicles just in case. We often take 2 vehicles a stock Landrover D2 and my overland modified Landrover D1 for exploring. I know its no answer to your Mammoth quest because im in the UK but you will kick yourself if you don't.

Reactions: OverlandRecon

vonfogel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Fogel
Member #

There are obviously a ton of amazing off-road trails in the area, however, there's also countless incredible things that don't require 4x4 to see! The drive up 395 is my favorite route ever - I've done it probably 25 times in my life, and every time I discover something I've never seen before. Some Flex-friendly highlights for you to check out along the way and in the area, listed approximately from South to North:

- Fossil Falls Scenic Area
- Mount Whitney Fish Hatchery
- Lone Pine Film History Museum
- Alabama Hills Recreation Area
- Manzanar National Historic Site
- Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest
- Schat's Bakkery in Bishop (best bread ever)
- Laws Railroad Museum
- Devils Postpile National Monument
- June Lake Loop
- Mono Lake Visitor Center
- Bodie ghost town

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
There are some great trails up there! Laurel Lakes is probably the closest to town, not too hard, can get out there and back in an after lunch trip. But, if you're not trail minded there is lots to do as well. Bodie is awesome, hard to pass up. Can also do the top of Yosemite via Tioga Pass. Gorgeous drive and great hiking, or just sit by a beautiful alpine lake. Mono Lake is a nice drive too, get an ice cream at the Mono Cone you won't regret it! Devil's Postpile is very cool but if you don't want to go up super early it is extremely crowded. There are also some mining ruins around town, pretty easy to get up to and walk around. In town has some great places to eat and relax. The Stove is a great old local breakfast place. I'd say if you aren't looking for an offroad adventure you can find way more to do than a 3 day trip can provide time for. :)

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm heading up on the 20th.
There are a bunch of really fun trails all over Mammoth. You'll regret having the Jeep for the 6 hour drive up there, and regret having the Flex for the rest of the trip. But honestly if it's your first time, just take the Flex, explore all that Mammoth has to offer and bring the Jeep next time. The trails are pretty beat up this year and many are muddy, rutted out, and just a mess. So it's probably better to give them more time anyway. We go up there a lot and always have fun. Laurel Lakes is a fun drive but there are some easier trails right in town, around Mammoth scenic drive. If you're only 6 hours away, it's worth going back. We're headed out to Bishop tomorrow and hitting the trails on Coyote Flats. Have a fun trip.

vonfogel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Fogel
Member #

There are a bunch of really fun trails all over Mammoth. You'll regret having the Jeep for the 6 hour drive up there, and regret having the Flex for the rest of the trip. But honestly if it's your first time, just take the Flex, explore all that Mammoth has to offer and bring the Jeep next time. The trails are pretty beat up this year and many are muddy, rutted out, and just a mess. So it's probably better to give them more time anyway. We go up there a lot and always have fun. Laurel Lakes is a fun drive but there are some easier trails right in town, around Mammoth scenic drive. If you're only 6 hours away, it's worth going back. We're headed out to Bishop tomorrow and hitting the trails on Coyote Flats. Have a fun trip.
When you get back would you mind reporting back on the trail conditions at Coyote Flats? I'm headed up there in early August and I'd love to know what to expect! The area around Bishop is always a blast to explore - hope you have a great time!

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

When you get back would you mind reporting back on the trail conditions at Coyote Flats? I'm headed up there in early August and I'd love to know what to expect! The area around Bishop is always a blast to explore - hope you have a great time!
I will post some pics and answer any questions. I've been in contact with a few other people who have been up there recently and conditions are good. Still a lot of snow, but otherwise everything is fine (I hope).

Traveler I

Pleasanton, CA
Member #

Hey Everyone,
Heading up to Mammoth tomorrow for the weekend, plan to do some exploring Saturday. I have been in the past and did devils postpile but haven't explored much since. My better half is 7 months pregnant and asked that we take it easier this trip as she doesnt want to be bouncing around a lot. Can't blame her, so my question is what trails would you recommend for us to get out and go see some folage etc. I recently got a new Discover put some KO2s on it and want to test this thing out!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@vonfogel
There are obviously a ton of amazing off-road trails in the area, however, there's also countless incredible things that don't require 4x4 to see! The drive up 395 is my favorite route ever - I've done it probably 25 times in my life, and every time I discover something I've never seen before. Some Flex-friendly highlights for you to check out along the way and in the area, listed approximately from South to North:
- Fossil Falls Scenic Area
- Mount Whitney Fish Hatchery
- Lone Pine Film History Museum
- Alabama Hills Recreation Area
- Manzanar National Historic Site
- Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest
- Schat's Bakkery in Bishop (best bread ever)
- Laws Railroad Museum
- Devils Postpile National Monument
- June Lake Loop
- Mono Lake Visitor Center
- Bodie ghost town
Thank you for the list Just got back and was able to hit many locations you posted. I'd add the following sites my group enjoyed:
  • Owens River Valley - East of Bishop between Warm Springs Road and Poleta Road. There are a network of maintained and not-so maintained dirt roads with wild life, fishing, and scenic views of mountains on both sides of the valley. Careful some steep hills with deep soft sand, stay on the main roads if you lack the equipment to get out of sand.
  • North Lake - Small alpine lake with beautiful views of the mountains.
  • Casa Diablo Mountain - Lots of interesting FS roads between here and Benton Crossing Road (varying technicality, Watch for OHV's and Dirt bikes)
  • Hot Creek Geological Site - Hot Potting discouraged and no access after dark
  • Owens River - Just off of the Elbow in Benton crossing Road near the Campground is the entry to this Fishing area which is another network of not-so maintained dirt roads with wild life, fishing, and scenic views of mountains on both sides of the valley. Careful some steep hills with deep soft sand, deep ruts, again pick the road that is right for your rig and skillset.

Commercial enterprises who provided great food / service:
  • Starlight Motel in big pine - Very Old School Motel, Dated cinder-block motel & furniture, with attentive service from Tussad and Co, Greeted with a smile and choice of snacks during check-in, A nice selection of Juice, Snacks and Fruit in the morning all with a fair price for the night.
  • Keough Hot Springs - Great for a shower and soak, Ice cream cones were the best we had on our trip.
  • Jack's Restaurant - Home cooked meals, sandwiches, and Lemon Meringue pie that was fantastic.
  • Cardinal Village Resort - Best breakfasts near Bishop. Say Hi to Hannah and team at the cafe.
  • Paiute Palace Gas Station - Lowest price on gas between Big Pine and Lee Vining
  • Epic Cafe - Little cafe that is hard to get into. Best food and service I've received in a LONG time. The Fresh Picked Pear and Cranberry Pie was fantastic! As was the Salted Carmel Brownie and everything else I ordered.
  • Latte Da Coffee Café (coffee house at el Mono Motel) - Try the Rojo Raven for Breakfast.
Boort

Reactions: 06tacodude

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Johann Collins
Hey Everyone,
Heading up to Mammoth tomorrow for the weekend, plan to do some exploring Saturday. I have been in the past and did devils postpile but haven't explored much since. My better half is 7 months pregnant and asked that we take it easier this trip as she doesnt want to be bouncing around a lot. Can't blame her, so my question is what trails would you recommend for us to get out and go see some folage etc. I recently got a new Discover put some KO2s on it and want to test this thing out!
See my post above for some ideas. Foliage was changing day by day over the 2 weeks I was in the area. Ask around when you get there. Sabrina Lake and North lake are both likely done now. June Lakes loop should still have some pockets of color. Here in Co it is fairly reliable that color changes from top to bottom. I did not find that in the Sierras. Little Lakes Valley and McGee Creek might be your best bets for this weekend as they were just starting to turn last weekend.

Boort

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

There is a nice 4x4 trail which goes from Mammoth to June Lake. Should be fun and not too 'bouncy'. Lundy Canyon is probably still really nice, but it's just a paved road drive and then a hike. You can also go out towards Laurel Lakes, but that might be a bit sketchy for your considerations. Check out this website. It's got some good stuff. https://www.mammothtrails.org/activity/36/off-highway-vehicles/