Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Good morning all.

I just put up a new video with a very tasty green chile jambalaya recipe. The bit of a twist is that I made it in the GSI camping pressure cooker which I am quite fond of. Not sure if you have used it or are familiar with it but if not you can check it out here. It is a great time saver and works really well on the stoves as long as you can manage the heat on your stove.

Anyone else use the pressure cookers while camping?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
hummm....this thread certainly deserves some love. as a 30 year veteran of the swamps of south louisiana, i can attest to this being a tasty meal as well as how pressure really infuses flavors. i was a commercial diver in the gulf of mexico and i know that a few drinks before diving down a couple hundred feet can really infuse an alcohol buzz...well, the same pressure can infuse spices in a piece of chicken or pork equally well. :grinning:

the wife is 100% cajun and is a phenomenal cook, so when i get the nod from her on this, i know its good. we do a good bit of camping where this would be a perfect recipe...get to the camp area and then put this on the stove and let it do its thing while we set up camp. by the time we are done setting up, this is done and we have a good meal full of flavor and with minimal stuff to clean. the left overs will go into a ziplok bag and eaten the next day. i would probably take a cup of this and mix it with a scrambled egg and throw it on a tortillia for breakfast. this recipe would do equally well with chicken or sausage or a mix of both. the pressure cooker would also be great for cooking whole potatoes quickly and then using them as stuffed potatoes for a meal. i use an insta-pot a lot at home and definitely love how it works....and after watching this video, i'm going to my amazon account and buying a pressure cooker for camp...

Last edited:

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

hummm....this thread certainly deserves some love. as a 30 year veteran of the swamps of south louisiana, i can attest to this being a tasty meal as well as how pressure really infuses flavors. i was a commercial diver in the gulf of mexico and i know that a few drinks before diving down a couple hundred feet can really infuse an alcohol buzz...well, the same pressure can infuse spices in a piece of chicken or pork equally well. :grinning:

the wife is 100% cajun and is a phenomenal cook, so when i get the nod from her on this, i know its good. we do a good bit of camping where this would be a perfect recipe...get to the camp area and then put this on the stove and let it do its thing while we set up camp. by the time we are done setting up, this is done and we have a good meal full of flavor and with minimal stuff to clean. the left overs will go into a ziplok bag and eaten the next day. i would probably take a cup of this and mix it with a scrambled egg and throw it on a tortillia for breakfast. this recipe would do equally well with chicken or sausage or a mix of both. the pressure cooker would also be great for cooking whole potatoes quickly and then using them as stuffed potatoes for a meal. i use an insta-pot a lot at home and definitely love how it works....and after watching this video, i'm going to my amazon account and buying a pressure cooker for camp...

Thanks @grubworm and agree on the different meats! For reference the pressure cooker I used was 5.7 liter. One thing to watch is if the bottom is too thin you could burn the food on the bottom as camp stoves may not be the best simmering tools.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
over a year and no more replies...people are missing out!

im sure i would have scoffed at this years back, but after using a pressure cooker camping, they are pretty good. its a pot with locking lid so its not any bigger or heavier than a regular pot and lid and it is lighter than a dutch oven of same size. i still end up with dry chicken when pan cooking, so using the pressure pot really keeps me from drying out meat and it does cook a lot faster. did some chicken breast in the pot with cream of mushroom soup and ran it a cycle and then added rice and broccoli and ran it 12 min. perfect meal with only one pot to clean.

fine by me @Ragman...me and you will be eating good! keep those recipes coming! :grinning:

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We gave away our dutch oven and bought a pressure cooker in Belize during our drive south, that was in 2016. We will never be without it and also carry a spare set of seals. We make lots of roasts, pulled meats (beef and pork), bone broths etc. For those that prefer one pot wonders, the pressure cooker is the perfect tool since it can also be used as a regular pot.

• Love
Reactions: Ragman and grubworm