Maintenance... how meticulous are you?

• HTML tutorial

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Didnt really see any maintenance related posts so i figured id start one.

How picky about fluids (brand) and how often do you service your fluids?

My 2015 Frontier just hit 15,000 and i bought it with under 10,000 miles. Today i did an extensive amount of service on her. Maintenance as follows.

At 10,000
-full synthetic Motul oil
-mobil 1 filter
-brake fluid

Plan to do this every 10,000

At 15,000
-full synthetic motul 5w30
-mobil 1 filter
-power steering
-transfer case
-rear diff
-front diff
-transmission

- As a service tech i know this is alittle much but ive first hand seen the results of good service records. You would be AMAZED HOW NASTY the diffs and transfer case were at only 15,000 miles!!!

Share your thoughts... lets see if anyone is more OCD than myself!

Reactions: Rexor91

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Every 50,000 I'll change my diffs fluids (there's no gunk don't freak about the long service life)

20,000 the transmission fluid and filter get changed. I'm anal about that one because I've rebuilt my transmission. Not something I want to do again.

Transfer case is right there with the transmission because why not.

Engine oil is every 5000 miles. Which if you do the calculation that takes into account the mpg and size and other things, 5000 miles is about right for my truck. I also grease my truck every oil change.

I use Castrol magnatec for the engine and Bosch oil filters. By just changing filters from k&n, I noticed less debris on my magnet on the drain plug. When I switched to the magnatec, the debris is 0. Tranny fluid is just any parts store melvac/dextros fluid that works in everything. Transfer case fluid is ac Delco autotrac 2. Both diffs get valvoline, although the front gets a slightly heavier weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I bought my truck new. I mapped the maintenance schedule to 300,000 miles and plan to stick to it. Use good oil, grease, and other fluids.

Reactions: 15frontier

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I bought my truck new. I mapped the maintenance schedule to 300,000 miles and plan to stick to it. Use good oil, grease, and other fluids.
Its entirely possible to make 300,000 on most all oem drivetrain components if properly maintained. My lexus we just sold to buy my wifes new corolla (mommy dd) was just shy of 300,000 on original motor and transmission with a very meticulous service history. Had a 1987 FORD F-150 go about 300,000. I got it for $600 with 150,000 miles on it all original to my knowledge. Fried the transmission in some extra-curricular snow activities loaded the bed with scrap and got my $600 back...

Reactions: stoney126

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I usually go with recommended intervals from the manual. I figure the manufactures know what they built and if there is a severe use listing, I'll go with it. For stop and go traffic or towing, there is usually a different interval for vehicles. Usually about 5k on Valvoline MaxLife motor oil, 30-50K for transmission, and 30-50k for axles. Transmissions get recommended fluid, brand not so much of a concern for me as pretty much everything has gone to multi-use fluids and one's as good as the next in most cases. Usually a house brand fluid since they are generally made by either Havoline or Valvoline. Differentials have usually gotten either the Valvoline synthetic or I've recently begun using Amsoil in my Xterra for the t-case and axles. Probably won't use it in the engine since I'm a major fan of the Valvoline Maxlife but might use it in my transmission when that time comes.

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I usually go with recommended intervals from the manual. I figure the manufactures know what they built and if there is a severe use listing, I'll go with it. For stop and go traffic or towing, there is usually a different interval for vehicles. Usually about 5k on Valvoline MaxLife motor oil, 30-50K for transmission, and 30-50k for axles. Transmissions get recommended fluid, brand not so much of a concern for me as pretty much everything has gone to multi-use fluids and one's as good as the next in most cases. Usually a house brand fluid since they are generally made by either Havoline or Valvoline. Differentials have usually gotten either the Valvoline synthetic or I've recently begun using Amsoil in my Xterra for the t-case and axles. Probably won't use it in the engine since I'm a major fan of the Valvoline Maxlife but might use it in my transmission when that time comes.
Amsoil makes great fluids i tend to use Motul for all my fluids front to back as i have a buddy who is "sponsered" by motul (370z time attack car) and he gets me GREAT deals. Beats amsoil prices by a mile and i tend to have it next day at latest.

As a service tech i have been told by gm engineers that the service intervals are simply listed to get the vehicle past the 5yr. 100k warranty without major issues... after that goodluck. Main reason i usually over do things.

Reactions: Lindenwood

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Amsoil makes great fluids i tend to use Motul for all my fluids front to back as i have a buddy who is "sponsered" by motul (370z time attack car) and he gets me GREAT deals. Beats amsoil prices by a mile and i tend to have it next day at latest.

As a service tech i have been told by gm engineers that the service intervals are simply listed to get the vehicle past the 5yr. 100k warranty without major issues... after that goodluck. Main reason i usually over do things.
The 89 Cavalier my dad bought new got an oil change twice a year with no eye on mileage. Havoline 10w30 and an AC Delco filter. It did 232k hard miles before it was sold in 2007.

The 93 S10 he bought new did 213k miles of DD and farm duty with the same oil change interval before it was sold.

By the standards at which both of those vehicles lived, I'm over zealous. We sold them due to body rust, not mechanical issues.

Last edited:

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

The 89 Cavalier my dad bought new got an oil change twice a year with no eye on mileage. Havoline 10w30 and an AC Delco filter. It did 232k hard miles before it was sold in 2007.

The 93 S10 he bought new did 213k miles of DD and farm duty with the same oil change interval before it was sold.

By the standards at which both of those vehicles lived, I over zealous. We sold them due to body rust, not mechanical issues.
Really wish they were the same way today.

Look at a newer 5.3l ls based motor with active fuel management... dont change the oil every 3k say hello to lifters collapsing/ rings sticking... no good. I do ATLEAST 3 re-ring or piston jobs a month on ls motors under 100,000 miles and AT MINIMUM two sets of lifters a week. Again all that on trucks under 100,000 miles. Some as early as 50,000 miles. Again some cars get by on lackluster maintenance but why chance it? An extra $100-$200 a year in maintenance to potentially save thousands?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

Look at a newer 5.3l ls based motor with active fuel management... dont change the oil every 3k say hello to lifters collapsing/ rings sticking... no good. I do ATLEAST 3 re-ring or piston jobs a month on ls motors under 100,000 miles and AT MINIMUM two sets of lifters a week. Again all that on trucks under 100,000 miles. Some as early as 50,000 miles. Again some cars get by on lackluster maintenance but why chance it? An extra $100-$200 a year in maintenance to potentially save thousands?
I've got a buddy who works at a Chevy garage and he's told me that about the newer DoD engines. I have to admit I'm a little concerned about the amount of things beginning to give issue with our 13 Malibu at 100k miles. One cam phasing solenoid and the high pressure fuel pump so far, but otherwise I'm really enjoying the car. I do change oil based on the oil life monitor and use the Valvoline 5w20 Maxlife in it as well. I guess we'll see how it goes with that though.

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I've got a buddy who works at a Chevy garage and he's told me that about the newer DoD engines. I have to admit I'm a little concerned about the amount of things beginning to give issue with our 13 Malibu at 100k miles. One cam phasing solenoid and the high pressure fuel pump so far, but otherwise I'm really enjoying the car. I do change oil based on the oil life monitor and use the Valvoline 5w20 Maxlife in it as well. I guess we'll see how it goes with that though.
The solenoids are a common thing. No concerns. Keep the oil changed and drive it. The main things we see on that generation malibu is constant airbag lights / solenoids / and if not properly cared for trans issues / wheel speed sensors (shit design)/ and also EVAP solenoids if you dont know how to properly pump gas... pump clicks off its DONE. Good cars when they have good owners. And yes dod/afm = garbage.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

My maintenance schedule is pretty easy to follow.. I follow what it says in the manual. 20k between oil changes (diesel), change manual trans fluid every 50k and diff fluid every 50k. Its time to do all of those things to the truck again.. Uggh.. Now the question is, do I do it myself or do I get lazy and pay someone.. Hmmm.. I use amsoil in my entire truck..

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Luckily I've got one of the older 5.3Ls no active fuel management, no DoD. Currently sitting at 294,000. Other than the horsepower sweat (oil leaks) she's a happy engine. I also let the engine heat up before I put it in drive

My attitude toward the afm is, if you want v8 power you're gonna have to live with v8 mileage.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

For the truck (7.3L) I change the oil and filter using Motorcraft filter and Rotella T6 synthetic oil. Every 5k miles. I have a aftermarket coolant filter that uses baldwin filters and that get done every 10k miles. Trans fluid when it needs it, no flush just a spill and fill, use valvoline mercon V Transfercase the same, it doesn't see a hard life. Diffs every 20k with 75w140 mopar synthetic because I have a bunch from work

Pretty much the same for the jeep minus the coolant filter. And that I use mobile 1 full synthetic and mopar filter for the engine and was using shell atf+4 because that was what was available at work.

I also go over all cooler lines and check cooling fins for blockage.

Last edited:

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

IMG_1563.JPG
Luckily I've got one of the older 5.3Ls no active fuel management, no DoD. Currently sitting at 294,000. Other than the horsepower sweat (oil leaks) she's a happy engine. I also let the engine heat up before I put it in drive

My attitude toward the afm is, if you want v8 power you're gonna have to live with v8 mileage.

My 13 silverado with afm got better gas mileage after we deleted the afm haha. Almost 1.5-2mpg better over about 15k miles. Lol

Reactions: druff6991

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

View attachment 20169
My 13 silverado with afm got better gas mileage after we deleted the afm haha. Almost 1.5-2mpg better over about 15k miles. Lol
I can believe it. Trying to make a v4 pull the same weight a v8 does, even at highway speeds, seems kinda ridiculous. I believe manufacturers are trying to put more technology into the engines than they need. Just let the engine be an engine. And put more time into getting the fuel to atomize better. Which vortecs do best, theyre powered by real tornados

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I can believe it. Trying to make a v4 pull the same weight a v8 does, even at highway speeds, seems kinda ridiculous. I believe manufacturers are trying to put more technology into the engines than they need. Just let the engine be an engine. And put more time into getting the fuel to atomize better. Which vortecs do best, theyre powered by real tornados

Silveraydo! You obviously dont have an uncle rick that lives in a cabin in gatlinburg! The EPA is forcing all this garbage on the manufacturers. Thats why we dont get all the kick ass diesels europe gets.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Silveraydo! You obviously dont have an uncle rick that lives in a cabin in gatlinburg! The EPA is forcing all this garbage on the manufacturers. Thats why we dont get all the kick ass diesels europe gets.
The epa is probably one of the most backwards agencies we have. Like the continual usage of the catalytic converter.

Here I'm gonna make my intelligent engine computer spray more fuel than it needs to make the cats hot, so they can burn unburned fuel. Instead of making the engine spray the correct amount of fuel.

Its the next thing to come off my truck after I get to the point I can tune my engine to run without like German cars that stay in Germany

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Pretty meticulous as I come from a 50 year off-road desert motorcycle riding and racing background. I try to never exceed the manufacturers recommendations for severe conditions but we still must remember our vehicles are used in very severe conditions (dust, mud, water) so must be maintained at a greater frequency than even these recommendations. If you think any thing was contaminated by any of the above contaminates change it out, even if you just changed them. Check the air filter after any run in the dust, keep an eye on oil levels and color and water levels. Believe me it is cheeper than the motor repair or possible breakdown out in the middle of nowhere. I also tend to keep my vehicle pretty clean as I have had to work on them myself and it is easier to work and see items that are broken when clean. That crack might be hidden under a layer of dirt and just break next time out. When I rebuilt engines my garage was spotless so grime did not enter the cases before it was even started damaging the motor.
Yes I am anal about things just ask my son.

smlts176

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I have 320k on my 2001 land rover discovery. Here is my routine.

Every 5000 miles
Oil change-20-50 royal purple
Royal purple filter
Grease drive shafts
Check all fluids and top off of needed.

Every 20000 miles
Change diffs transfer case- 75-90 royal purple.
Change Transmission- Red line MTL.

When o do brake pads I change brake fluid and power bleed the system for full flush.

Power steering gets messed with enough to always have fresh fluid, same with the cooling system lol, no need for a change interval for them on mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Pretty meticulous as I come from a 50 year off-road desert motorcycle riding and racing background. I try to never exceed the manufacturers recommendations for severe conditions but we still must remember our vehicles are used in very severe conditions (dust, mud, water) so must be maintained at a greater frequency than even these recommendations. If you think any thing was contaminated by any of the above contaminates change it out, even if you just changed them. Check the air filter after any run in the dust, keep an eye on oil levels and color and water levels. Believe me it is cheeper than the motor repair or possible breakdown out in the middle of nowhere. I also tend to keep my vehicle pretty clean as I have had to work on them myself and it is easier to work and see items that are broken when clean. That crack might be hidden under a layer of dirt and just break next time out. When I rebuilt engines my garage was spotless so grime did not enter the cases before it was even started damaging the motor.
Yes I am anal about things just ask my son.
I have 320k on my 2001 land rover discovery. Here is my routine.

Every 5000 miles
Oil change-20-50 royal purple
Royal purple filter
Grease drive shafts
Check all fluids and top off of needed.

Every 20000 miles
Change diffs transfer case- 75-90 royal purple.
Change Transmission- Red line MTL.

When o do brake pads I change brake fluid and power bleed the system for full flush.

Power steering gets messed with enough to always have fresh fluid, same with the cooling system lol, no need for a change interval for them on mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
This is what im talking about. A good service record is very satisfying to me. Next to overlanding and my chirldren/wife, wrenching on my personal vehicles is at the top of the list lol.