Maintenance... how meticulous are you?

• HTML tutorial

AlphaOverland

Rank 0

Traveler I

We are big fans of Amsoil fluids. I've spent a lot of time in different vehicles (muscle cars and European sports cars) and used oil analysis always show superior shear resistance and higher residual TBN levels at longer intervals with Amsoil (usually). Redline also makes really good fluids as well.

I change the oil every 10k or annually whichever comes first, running Amsoil Signature series full synthetic. My rubicon only has 18k miles on it but when the suggested differential and t-case intervals arrive I'll be running amsoil in those as well. The signature series is "rated" for 25k but the way to really determine the proper interval is to send your oil in for analysis at 5k or 10k and base your next change on how the oil is wearing, how much TBN is left ect. You can really see how your oil deteriorates and determine from that at what mileage it's best to change your fluids.

I also run Amsoil in my VW diesel golf, also every 10k or annually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 15frontier

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I think quantity (shorter intervals) is generally more important than quality, though I do use mobile1 in the engine and enjoy longer change intervals.

But, diffs will get basic fluids every 15-20k, trans will get a drain-and-fill every oil change, and coolant every 20k.

Reactions: 15frontier

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I have 320k on my 2001 land rover discovery.
Wuuut??? Damn I thought my 01 D2 was high mileage at 205,000 miles.

Mobil1 full syn every 5k fr the engine. Brake, and power steering fluid every couple of years. Diffs about once per year. They get conventional oil because of the lockers (85W-140) and the t-case (75W-90) is full syn Mobil1. Coolant probably gets changed 2-3 times a year because there's some other issue that requires draining the system. In fact I had a bunch of upper hoses replaced a few days ago.

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Oooo, now we talking.

On my 2011 Lancer GTS, I use Pennsville Ultra Platinum 0w20 with Mitsubishi oil filter every 7k miles. About to hit 100th miles and it's been looking amazing.

On the Montero I've just been putting new seals and trying different oils. So far, Mitsubishi filter is good and may be using Castrol magnates oil. 5w30 of course. I'm always inspecting different and transmission fluids. Once I see any type of evidence of not being clean, I'll change.

What I need to do is power steering and brake fluid next.

Sent from my SM-T280 using OB Talk mobile app

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

It to some extent depends on
A) Make / Type of vehicle (Some fall fowl to issues more than others..)
B) Amount of usage (Does it sit around for months?)
C) Amount of regular miles (Is it your daily Vehicle?)

Like with any expedition it is always wise to do a full service check before you set off (especially for long trips) that way you know with relative ease that any faults that may arise may not necessarily be down to the serviced parts (never rule it out completely... sometimes people forget to put Diff oil back in the diffs..)

If you care for your motor and want it to last, its always best to carry out regular maintenance & service to keep it in good condition - the vehicles which commonly have issues are those who people go and play but never worked on it after (how can you expect something not to rot if you don't clean it..? )

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

I meet or exceed all manufacturer guidelines.

5000- Motorcraft synthetic blend oil 5W20.

25,000- Drain and fill transmission. (Motorcraft ATF). Fuel filter.

50,000- Radiator drain & fill. Differentials and transfer case. Spark plugs.