Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey guys and gals, searched several places here in the forums via OB Talk app for ‘Maine trails’ and a dozen variants, but keep getting No Results Found.

I’m looking for current information on trails in Maine you’ve run, have researched but not yet run, logging roads open to solo and small groups (3-4 vehicles), and camping opportunities outside of organized campgrounds.

I’d love to gather solid current info to have for both myself and to share with those coming to explore Maine in responsible ways.

Then I’ll make a Maine Trails & Camping thread with separate posts for each trail or location where we can update with most recent experiences.

Or perhaps this thread itself can serve that purpose.

Looking forward to seeing what’s out there for recent experiences.

Road

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

J.Webb

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

New England
Member #

Hey bud, I've just recently joined the OB forums and am also looking for information about the NMW or the Ki-Jo Mary area. I'm from central Mass and really want to get up there, but other than the NMW website I haven't found a lot of information. I have yet to find anyone who has visited through any of my social media accounts.

Have you been up there or know anyone who has?

J.W.

Ocean State Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Westerly, Rhode Island
Member #

I am heading up to the NMW tomorrow for the week. It will be my first experience up that way. heading to the Allagash wilderness and Baxter to hike Mt Katahdin. I plan on hitting a bit of the golden road, guess it is dirt road, used for logging trucks. I will post info when I get back. Also going to try to find the abandoned "Ghost" trains from the 1920's. Thanks to member OB Member R2D2 for location info.

SStuder

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Nh
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Studer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1SET
Any updates on this? I'm trying to plan a trip to the trains as well. Thanks!

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Any updates on this? I'm trying to plan a trip to the trains as well. Thanks!
Like to explore more of these areas too. Hoping to hit the abandoned trains and bomber sometime this summer. If you're not part of the overland bound east fb group, you should join the group. I've been getting some hints and tips from those guy/ girls.

GbRunner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

New Brunswick, Canada
Member #

If you guys go over to “overland trips” and go to the Middle Maine thread someone has posted a trip they did. They’ve also included a GPX for those that wish to see the route they took/planning to take.

I’m just north in New Brunswick, but am panning on making the trip down this summer to explore and hike mt Katahdin!