Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A few months before our last trip we needed to replace an old flashlight. I thought ok, cool, I’ve got two old school mag lites and they’re still around, so I’ll buy a mini maglite. It takes 2 AA batteries and it is LED. Complete junk. I mean complete. Twist on twist off, ya right. Once I got it to stay on and it overheated. I called Maglite customer service. The gal blamed the batteries. Bad batteries are overheating it. So, brand new batteries went in, same result, still customer service blamed the batteries. Hmmmm, it’s a flashlight, it’s not rocket science, the twist on twist off switch is not reliable and when it does stay on it overheats. Don’t buy one of these things, a complete waste of $23.00

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I used to love my Maglights, AA Mini Mags and a three cell and even a big four cell like LEO's used to carry. They were always rugged and dependable.

Though once LED bulbs and Streamlights and so many newer, brighter, smaller flashlights started becoming available, my old Maglights quit getting used as much. I have three mini-mags over on the counter right now I just don't use anymore.

I never had a problem with my Minis getting hot, though they weren't LED and I was using Duracell, not rechargeable NiMH AAs like I do now in everything.

Reactions: MOAK

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

A few months before our last trip we needed to replace an old flashlight. I thought ok, cool, I’ve got two old school mag lites and they’re still around, so I’ll buy a mini maglite. It takes 2 AA batteries and it is LED. Complete junk. I mean complete. Twist on twist off, ya right. Once I got it to stay on and it overheated. I called Maglite customer service. The gal blamed the batteries. Bad batteries are overheating it. So, brand new batteries went in, same result, still customer service blamed the batteries. Hmmmm, it’s a flashlight, it’s not rocket science, the twist on twist off switch is not reliable and when it does stay on it overheats. Don’t buy one of these things, a complete waste of $23.00

I can't say I've had the overheating issues with any of my maglites but they are all older than 10 years. Sad to hear that they have joined the race to the bottom with so many other formerly great products.

Most of my smaller maglites were the 2AA cell twist lites or single AAA cell keychain ones that were giveaways with a company name on the side. I also have a 2-3 of the big old Multi D-Cell lights that have been upgraded with the NiteIze High Power LED bulbs. Still use them and they have been beating around the truck for years. These are the 4-5 cell D monsters with the push button in the side rather than the endcap.

My current goto is EagTac Clicky D25LC2. Got turned on to these by a photographer friend over 5 years ago and have been using them ever since. On high power this will keep your hands warm on a cold night of camping and photography. Runs off either 2x disposable CR123a batts or a single rechargeable 18650 cell.

Boort

Reactions: Road

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I started replacing my Mag Lights several years ago. I'm trying to remember when I bought my first mini. Early 80's? Until recently, best flashlight ever made. When I wanted to go to led, I read an article in the Candlepower forum on led's. They were not impressed with Mag's system especially their conversion kits. I started using Fenix lights from then on. A few years ago I started using usb charged headlights. Not long ago, I found the box I tossed all my Mag's into. I think there were ten or twelve "D" cell lights. I kept them just in case I needed one. Every vehicle gets a light (cruiser gets light and headlight) and several in house. If I was to guess, I have probably six or seven led flashlights stashed around.

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Sorry to hear that. In my experience mag lights always run a but hot. There is no excuse for the poor customer service though. You should try Streamlight flashlights. I have carried a Streamlight stylus pro every day for years and have never had a problem.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Sorry to hear that. In my experience mag lights always run a but hot. There is no excuse for the poor customer service though. You should try Streamlight flashlights. I have carried a Streamlight stylus pro every day for years and have never had a problem.
I was taken aback by the heat. Couldn’t even hold it. My big ones, a 3 d and a 5 d are still around and will undoubtedly end up in a tech museum.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I thought about buying the kit to convert an old D cell incandescent maglite to LED but the cost to do that was more than just buying a new LED flashlight. I carried a maglite for many years but switched to Streamlight and Surefire when they came out with smaller lights and now I mostly use Streamlight. I had a switch fail on a small pocket Streamlight and they sent me a replacement switch no questions. That is how Maglite used to be but times change.

Fenix and Olight make some good, affordable flashlights too but you’ll have a little bit tougher time if you ever need warranty work from them. Still good equipment, I own a couple of both.

Ramble ramble, TL;DR Buy a Streamlight, they are what Maglite used to be years ago.

mv213

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Used to be a bit Maglite guy many years ago but LED technology left them in the dust. I did buy one of their LED D-cell flashlights—it’s just OK not great by any means. I’ve switched over to Streamlight with rechargeable 18650 batteries. Once you invest in good (Samsung) 18650 batteries and a good charger (which can also run off 12v in the car) you are set. No more battery or bulb worries. So far I have 3 Streamlights. I still have some 2xAA maglites but they stay in my workbench, and if they die I’ll recycle them.

Reactions: Downs

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I converted my 3 D cell Maglite to LED, mounted in the side of the bed, easy grab when I lower the tailgate. If you want a smaller, light, bright flashlite, Nicron 90* head is assume.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have switched from mag light to Sure-Fire (sp). Very bright, durable, and it’s what we used in the army.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I still have a 5D cell Maglite, I dig it but its more club than flash light. For serious flash light work I have a Streamlight.

Reactions: Road

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Maglite is a prime example of what happens when you rest on your reputation for too long, they're building Model Ts while the rest of the industry is building F1 cars. Their most loyal vocal customer base has slowly died off or moved on to other better lights while they continued to manufacture the same ol same ol with some drop in options the lights were never designed for. At this point their name and reputation has taken such a hit I don't think they'll ever really recover.

Atypical

Rank 0

Contributor I

Shithole Texas
First Name
Norm
Last Name
David
In the Boy Scouts, I once pulled one of my scout masters Maglite out of the outhouse hole he dropped it into. It was worth it at the time. WOuldn't even consider doing it now. There's better options at this point, but wow was it a treasure at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: Road and Boort

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Streamlight all the way.

I've had this ol' Streamlight Microstream for almost eight years; clipped to my pocket every single day. I even move it to my sweatpants if lounging around. The black finish is wearing off, it gets handled so much. I've clipped it to the visor on caps when walking or need both hands to work on something, and feel lost if I don't have it on me.

Streamlight_8955-900y.jpg
Only uses a single AAA. I have a ton of rechargeable Eneloop batteries I use for my lights and camera gear, etc, so always have one around, charged, and ready to swap out.

I also have a couple other Streamlights; a Streamlight 88061 ProTac 1L (10 tap Hi, low, & strobe) and a Streamlight 66608 Microstream (USB Rechargeable), though for everyday carry, the Microstream above is the one that goes in my pocket.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I carried Mini Mags for decades but technology has left them far behind. My daily carry for the past 5-6 years is a Streamlight ProTac HL. Like the light pictured above, it is well used and abused but works flawlessly.