Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I run Ram mounts X-Grip. Done right it has very little vibration. Even with that, I still have it slightly resting on my dash. Keeping everything tight and as short as possible helps too.

Reactions: JL Lou

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

A couple questions, you guys with iPads- how /where do you secure them while traveling? Nothing worse than reaching to the screen only to have it vibrate to death then fall to the floor and how do you maintain an on line connection so the map stays with your progress or lack of. ? I’m not looking for a full time bracket that looks like I’m driving a DJ booth.
This is how I set it up right now. It will rattle but never have had it fall off yet. It is a Proclip mount which has a Ram ball, long arm, and iPad mini mount. The bluetooth connection from the garmin to the iPad keeps track of my location.

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So your iPad is just displaying info from gps unit which is sat. Connected, yes? So no need for internet for iPad...
There are 3 components
GPS Location - Either provided from you iPad if you have one with LTE, or a bluetooth GPS

Tablet to display location - You have that (I would recommend a RAM mount. IMHO these are the best setups. You said you don't want anything permanent Pro Clip may be less permanent don't know)

You need a map to display your location - Plenty of app options. I will continue to say Gaia GPS is the best. Your choice though. ALL apps will need you to download maps for offline use if you cannot guarantee cell coverage during your entire journey to update the map

This probably not the best thread to discuss all of this as the original post was about a Magellan device. There are lot of good threads on the basics though.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

A couple questions, you guys with iPads- how /where do you secure them while traveling? Nothing worse than reaching to the screen only to have it vibrate to death then fall to the floor and how do you maintain an on line connection so the map stays with your progress or lack of. ? I’m not looking for a full time bracket that looks like I’m driving a DJ booth.
MOB armor tablet mount. And I use the skypro GPS receiver. Also make sure you download the maps to the area your going to visit prior to losing cell or wifi

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I use my iPad mini 4 with a garmin inreach explorer plus. Mount it with the x-grip and 67 designs ball mount. Gaia works really well for everything I want to use it for. You can draw tracks on your computer, and it updates to the tablet or phone automatically (assuming you have service). You can download map layers for use offline ( in the woods). the Pro version of Gaia has alot of stuff. They just added a smoke layer, useful out west.

lifestyle overland has a discount code if you want to subscribe. I believe that you have to subscribe to download maps for offline use, Lifestyle Overland Discount | Gaia GPS

I also use Trailsoffroad.com to find offroad trails. and alltrails to find hiking trails. You can download GPX trails from those sites and easily upload them into Gaia for one location for them all.

tpuckett

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

snowflake az
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Puckett
Member #

I have a trx7 works for me but I just picked up Samsung tab a to play with. The trx is loaded with trails and dirt roads, country wide, so if I'm on a road trip it shows what is near me found some cool trails and camp sites that way

Craig Schueren

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso, TX
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schueren
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Had the TRX7 and it was challenging. What they sold it as, it didn't have. They just want to keep you hooked up and downloading. Now don't get me wrong, I really wanted it to work, but in the end its not worth the hassle and I sold it for $200 after spending over $500 for it.

I use Gaia on my Ipad mini along with Gaia on my Iphone. I just installed a Garmin Zumo which I sold my motorcycle so didn't need it there anymore and I tossed it in my jeep.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t or has anyone found that the gps iPad with say google maps or Gaia in the USA is not a good option and you actually need a secondary navigation system like Garmin.

So far in my experience (CA,NV, OR, AZ, WA, MT, ID) I have not noticed any major issues ( though google maps can be flighty at times ).

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t or has anyone found that the gps iPad with say google maps or Gaia in the USA is not a good option and you actually need a secondary navigation system like Garmin.

So far in my experience (CA,NV, OR, AZ, WA, MT, ID) I have not noticed any major issues ( though google maps can be flighty at times ).
I think for most people a GPS tablet is good enough for what they do. As long as my phone or tablets has cell service they do well for me, after that I have my Zoleo device just incase. but I have seldom had to use that in ID and CO.