Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

is outdoorx4 more focused on 4wheeling or overlanding? I enjoy magazines for my hobbies. eazy to take with me, somewhat condensed format. even complicated topics are usually presented in a way that makes sense to even newbs like me. any other suggestions that are more overland focused? i wont be doing any rock crawling anytime soon.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Hey Rob try looking up jpfreek.com not in print that I know of but you can take it with you as long as you have a signal.

Reactions: 2WheelRob

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have gotten away from magazines. It's like paying to watch commercials. Plus, unless you are a Jeep or Toyota guy, the subject matter has low relevancy. Overland Journal is exempt from this opinion.
I prefer to look up a subject and start reading forums and articles specific to that. As an example, right now I am gathering info on limited slip diff options for the 14 bolt rear axle I am building. Probably not going to get that from a magazine.
Just my $0.02

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I can agree, I like to still read them occasionally but like you said if it's Jeep or Toyota your good (luck me) anything else is forgotten. They are also just repetitious on topics. However I have looked to other publications for inspiration not necessarily related to vehicles.

As I got more and more back into leaving the noise of the world behind whenever possible, I believe I have learned more from just driving out and meeting others in the outdoors. Talking around a campfire about where everyone has been an hearing the stories of adventure, sharing tips and tricks for trail repairs and rig setups.

Making memories and friends that's why I joined OB.

Plus magazines won't come help you work on your rig.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

I hear what you are both saying and I completely agree. In my case magazines are a great way to find out what topics in need to dive into further. My ADHD is pretty powerful, and unless it's something I'm interested in and drawn to I can't stay focused on it.

There is too much info on forums and everywhere, that I get lost in it all and give up.

Magazines are a great way for me to find out what I need to learn. It's also kind of cathartic to sit and just read one.

I know what you mean about jeeps and tacos though. I've got an f150 and still sometimes have trouble finding stuff.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I see your in Austin. Good trail ride is the Texas hillcountry ride. If I can find the GPX files I'll send them to you. My Avatar is us crossing the james river if I remember correctly.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

I see your in Austin. Good trail ride is the Texas hillcountry ride. If I can find the GPX files I'll send them to you. My Avatar is us crossing the james river if I remember correctly.
I am. I'm hoping to do some of it this weekend on the way home from the Tx Avid Outdoor Expo.
I have a few gpx but they are missing sections. So Id love a route if you can fins it.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Check out On X mapping app. I just pulled it up and it shows alot of the trails north of you. Don't forget to stop at the original Coopers BBQ.

Outbound150

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lake in the Hills, IL 60156, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Weigand
Another option (that bypasses the subscription component) is check your local library. The one by me has access to digital subscriptions that are included with my membership (free). I can read current issues and also look at back issues for TREAD, Four Wheeler, Overland Journal.

Reactions: Rubicajon

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Another option (that bypasses the subscription component) is check your local library. The one by me has access to digital subscriptions that are included with my membership (free). I can read current issues and also look at back issues for TREAD, Four Wheeler, Overland Journal.
Great idea I believe mine does that

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Overland Journal. It is World Class. It is the National Geographic of Overlanding magazines. Toyota Trails Magazine is about our Landcruisers & Tacos, but more than that, it conveys the comradarie of like minded cruzer heads. I’ve sampled some of the other rags, meh. I’ve also been through my share of train modeling magazines. Model Railroad Craftsman is the crème de la crème for that hobby, just as OJ is for our hobby. Once you experience the best, it’s tough to even consider anything else.

Reactions: 2WheelRob

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

While I like magazines, I find some of the off road magazines are going with a slightly larger page sizes and then trying to make the font so €%#<+=*%ing small that I can’t read it!! Why??

Of course, phones are going the same way - bigger screens and tinier fonts. Not sure why?

And while magazines are basically ads, so are a lot of web pages and youtube channels.