gottaearnit

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Doll
Setting up to machine some aluminum d-ring hitch shackle mounts here in the shop. Going to send them out to be hard coat anodized when complete. I hate that everything out there is either powder coated or only type 2 anodized, which neither will hold up over time.

This is why I usually always end up making most of my own stuff.shackle mount stock.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Are you sure aluminum is going to hold up to d ring shackles? I wouldn't count on it. I would guess 1/2" steel would be the minimum if you plan on pulling anything.

gottaearnit

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Doll
Are you sure aluminum is going to hold up to d ring shackles? I wouldn't count on it. I would guess 1/2" steel would be the minimum if you plan on pulling anything.
These are going to be 2" square aluminum milled down to 1.190" for the D-ring. Will be good for about 10,000 lbs. More than enough for the wife's Subaru.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hope so, aluminum offroad bumpers were popular a few years back due to weight savings but the majority got too beat up and bent or cracked when used offroad. Ive used a 1/2" thick diamond plate aluminum as a skid plate for my 02 ford ranger prerunner it didnt last long and all it saw was sand and dirt, it cracked in half and i switched to 1/8 steel plate which has only had scratches on the paint.

Im in no way saying it wont work, heck may be something great. Ive never used aluminum for anything related to recovery. Just a word of caution when you actually use it.

gottaearnit

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Doll
I hear you. I'll definitely run it through some harsh testing before actually "needing it". There are a few brands out there that make them out of aluminum now. I just preferred it to be hardcoat anodized. Who knows, maybe I'll switch it up a bit and do a steel core/aluminum hybrid version. Would probably still come in at half the weight of a solid 2" steel receiver mount.

hmmm, now you got me thinking.

Josh56

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gonzales
Member #

aluminum as long as its the correct material is just as strong as or stronger than steel. Look at Factor 55 ultrabook, Rated to 16000 pounds and has an open end. Shackle points will be inclosed if made properly and in theory stronger. I say have at it just make sure you are using the right material.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

There are different aluminum alloys and different steel alloys with widely varying characteristics. You can't judge it without knowing exactly what it is.
And never heard of factor 55 stuff breaking when used correctly within its specs.

gottaearnit

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Doll
I will be making these out of 6061-T6. Quite familiar with it's properties. I have already calculated it's capacity to easily handle in excess of 10,000 lbs.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ive never seen the factor 55 stuff anywhere but the internet and at offroad shows. Never seen them in use in the real world so i wouldnt trust that just because a company makes it that it will work. Those seem to me more suited for use on a side by side or a quad. They look like a bling item to me for the guys who have winches just to complete the look. Are you also using d rings made of aluminum? Different metals making contact in adverse conditions will cause corrosion weakening one or both metals also ther will be rubbing that will wear away aluminum if you plan to run the d ring all the time. Ever seen a winch drum or cable made of aluminum, no aluminum trucker chains, how about an aluminum jack? Carbon fiber is technically stronger than steel but it wouldnt hold up to any recovery duties. Silk is stonger than steel too but no one im aware of makes silk tow staps or winch cables.

Josh56

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gonzales
Member #

Ive never seen the factor 55 stuff anywhere but the internet and at offroad shows. Never seen them in use in the real world so i wouldnt trust that just because a company makes it that it will work. Those seem to me more suited for use on a side by side or a quad. They look like a bling item to me for the guys who have winches just to complete the look. Are you also using d rings made of aluminum? Different metals making contact in adverse conditions will cause corrosion weakening one or both metals also ther will be rubbing that will wear away aluminum if you plan to run the d ring all the time. Ever seen a winch drum or cable made of aluminum, no aluminum trucker chains, how about an aluminum jack? Carbon fiber is technically stronger than steel but it wouldnt hold up to any recovery duties. Silk is stonger than steel too but no one im aware of makes silk tow staps or winch cables.

Ive seen factor 55 stuff used on synthetic rope which is also not steal but made of material also equal or stronger then steels. If i could afford it i would also being using it as its a really nice piece of kit. The op also stated that they would be sent out to have them hard coat anodized. As long as the proper coating is applied these will have less wear and fatigue factor thAn steel in its natural state. Also there are winches out there that do use aluminum as drums or casing components. Aluminum jacks are also plentiful. question is which style do you like. Todays planes, space ships, cars are made of aluminum. Air plans particularly the 747 has all their engines mounted to the plane using 3-5 static bolts and three main sheer throughs. All made of aluminum. The entire plans structure is also made of aluminum. The force upon take off is technically more then the aluminum can handle but design features make up for that. Space ships made of aluminum have an incredible force put on them during take off, in space, and reentry. Modern day cars like the corvette have an all aluminum chassis and 80% of todays cars being built on road have an aluminum block. Imaging combustion chamber pressure per square inch. I don't think the proper question here is what material is being used by the op. Which is 6061-t6 (already having a static pressure design and being treated properly before sold) but the question should be is it properly designed and support. I would recommend if these are being built to not weld on the load surface which from the picture above seems like its going to be a one piece mount so welding of the load surface won't be needed.
Josh

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ive seen factor 55 stuff used on synthetic rope which is also not steal but made of material also equal or stronger then steels. If i could afford it i would also being using it as its a really nice piece of kit. The op also stated that they would be sent out to have them hard coat anodized. As long as the proper coating is applied these will have less wear and fatigue factor thAn steel in its natural state. Also there are winches out there that do use aluminum as drums or casing components. Aluminum jacks are also plentiful. question is which style do you like. Todays planes, space ships, cars are made of aluminum. Air plans particularly the 747 has all their engines mounted to the plane using 3-5 static bolts and three main sheer throughs. All made of aluminum. The entire plans structure is also made of aluminum. The force upon take off is technically more then the aluminum can handle but design features make up for that. Space ships made of aluminum have an incredible force put on them during take off, in space, and reentry. Modern day cars like the corvette have an all aluminum chassis and 80% of todays cars being built on road have an aluminum block. Imaging combustion chamber pressure per square inch. I don't think the proper question here is what material is being used by the op. Which is 6061-t6 (already having a static pressure design and being treated properly before sold) but the question should be is it properly designed and support. I would recommend if these are being built to not weld on the load surface which from the picture above seems like its going to be a one piece mount so welding of the load surface won't be needed.
Josh
Here is the hard coat anodizing on my charging handle and upper for my m4 not really holding up to just loading rounds this isnt a reciprocating part other than loading the first round in the chamber . I dont believe that its going to make it anymore resitant to wear it just keeps corrosion at bay
15760833448901810064247.jpg1576083383472993610111.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Another example of hard coat anodizing is on AN fuel line fittings you have to use a special aluminum wrench or the hard coating gets rubbed off. They look pretty but in no way do the coating make em stonger or more wear resitant. if you use a steel wrench say good bye to the pretty coating

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I’ve had no issues with my factor 55 hitchlink, pulling vehicles or stumps out. I received it as a gift a few years back, and it generally isn’t in my receiver unless I’m using it. No reason to run around town with a rear shackle, that’s what my cheap Reese 2” ball is for. Keeping it and my synthetic shackle out of the weather extends life as well as counters the opportunity for theft.

Josh56

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gonzales
Member #

Another example of hard coat anodizing is on AN fuel line fittings you have to use a special aluminum wrench or the hard coating gets rubbed off. They look pretty but in no way do the coating make em stonger or more wear resitant. if you use a steel wrench say good bye to the pretty coating
Well like the op said he hates type 2 anodized so i assumed he was having them Hardcoat Anodize Type 3 / MIL-A 8625 Type III. Which is a completely different anodizing then AN fittings or the gun parts. Most manufacturing of gun parts if not for military application are only type 2 or other anodized. Also AN fitting wrenches are used due to the nature of the fitting. They are a hollow piece and a regular wrench can distort the metal. If you tighten with the same metal properties the force is displaced upon both metals. If you use two different type metals then one metal receives more force. Its a way of applying proper torque to the metal without over fatiguing it. Not so sure its for the anodizing per say. If op does everything correctly and uses his equipment he will still have wear regardless at the major contact areas but, perform better with dissimilar metals while still holding up better on all other surfaces to corrosion and such.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

It's a "use as intended" item. That says it all.
If he machines the hole properly, you can use soft shackle what makes it even better. Besides that, shackles and stuff like that isn't meant to stay at recovery points anyway. It's just laziness to let them hang there unless you are in a competition.

Reactions: gottaearnit

gottaearnit

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Doll
Wow. I never thought this would turn into a debate. :grinning:

Bottom line is, I treat my own projects just like I treat my customers when they come to my machine shop wanting something designed and manufactured. Identify what it's purpose is and design accordingly. The goal of this isn't to recover an A1M1 tank. It's to provide a recovery point for my wife's 3,651 pound Subaru Forester. The design and material selected will be more than strong enough to achieve that goal. And yes, Type 3 hard coat anodize will be the finish and was one of the main reasons I decided to build my own.

The cars 2" hitch receiver is only rated to 3500 lbs. There is just no reason to build a shackle mount capable of pulling 15,000...18,000....or 20,000 lbs. The mounts I'm making will far outperform the rest of the hitch system.