Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

I just picked up an old Jeep style trailer (M416?) and it has no spare tire. It has a rare trailer wheel size\pattern of 15" with 5x5.5 lug pattern. Ideally, I wanted to run the same tires as my vehicle which is a 2019 Subaru Forester which is running 235/60R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail which is rated as XL load but doing some reading many people are against running P or even LT tires on trailers but I don't how much difference will it make on my small trailer, it's probably around 500lbs empty and I hope not exceeding 1000-1250lbs when loaded. I'm not planning on going rock crawling with it (It's being towed by a Subaru...) but we do drive occasionally on remote dirt and rocky roads and trails so I'm concerned about how well standard trailer tires will do in such an environment, not getting flats... The current two tires also seem a bit old, plenty of thread but starting to crack\dry rot so I'm going to need 3 tires.

Trying to decide if I should just get a matching spare (which I found on eBay for 100$ wheel only) and install ST trailer tires, or get adapters to match the Foresters pattern and buy Forester wheels, but that is questionable as the trailer hub diameter is larger than Forester wheel bore size, the spacer will need to be at least 2" to clear the hub.
Or buy 3 matching Jeep wheels and LT tires.

The plan for the trailer is hauling some yard waste every once in a while and building it into an overland trailer with RTT for remote dirt roads and mild offroading (again, Subaru).
What do you guys think?
Seem like most here are going for LT tires.IMG_5857.jpgIMG_5858.jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-02 at 9.01.09 PM.png

Reactions: Adventurer

Adventurer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Puyallup, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
E
I would suggest LT tires. P rated or passenger car tires are not going to handle dirt roads very well and standard trailer tires are not designed for what your wanting. If you go with LT tires you want to choose a wheels size non 15in 15” is going to be a load range of C so softer side walls and not a lot of load capacity. I would go with a d or e load range in a 16”+ wheel size. Not sure why it is so hard to find the higher ratings in 15 in wheel size but that’s my experience. I hope this helps I’m sure others on here will chime in with their opinions as well.

I just picked up an old Jeep style trailer (M416?) and it has no spare tire. It has a rare trailer wheel size\pattern of 15" with 5x5.5 lug pattern. Ideally, I wanted to run the same tires as my vehicle which is a 2019 Subaru Forester which is running 235/60R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail which is rated as XL load but doing some reading many people are against running P or even LT tires on trailers but I don't how much difference will it make on my small trailer, it's probably around 500lbs empty and I hope not exceeding 1000-1250lbs when loaded. I'm not planning on going rock crawling with it (It's being towed by a Subaru...) but we do drive occasionally on remote dirt and rocky roads and trails so I'm concerned about how well standard trailer tires will do in such an environment, not getting flats... The current two tires also seem a bit old, plenty of thread but starting to crack\dry rot so I'm going to need 3 tires.

Trying to decide if I should just get a matching spare (which I found on eBay for 100$ wheel only) and install ST trailer tires, or get adapters to match the Foresters pattern and buy Forester wheels, but that is questionable as the trailer hub diameter is larger than Forester wheel bore size, the spacer will need to be at least 2" to clear the hub.

The plan for the trailer is hauling some yard waste every once in a while and building it into an overland trailer with RTT for remote dirt roads and mild offroading (again, Subaru).
What do you guys think?
Seem like most here are going for LT tires.View attachment 175742View attachment 175743View attachment 175744

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

If you go with LT tires you want to choose a wheels size non 15in 15” is going to be a load range of C so softer side walls and not a lot of load capacity. I would go with a d or e load range
this is absolutely the opposite of my thought process. It's a tiny trailer, there's not a lot of load there. the softer sidewall will be beneficial in something like this. Trucks that are much heavier than that trailer ever will be run load range C perfectly fine! Also a ton cheaper to find.

literally the only reason im not running 15" wheels on my trailer is because I was given tires for free, which meant 16" wheels. I wish I had a tire that wasn't rated for so much but whats done is done.

Reactions: Adventurer

Adventurer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Puyallup, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
E
I was forgetting the tire diameter that your wanting to run. I was thinking the taller truck tires I was totally backwards. My bad.
If you go with LT tires you want to choose a wheels size non 15in 15” is going to be a load range of C so softer side walls and not a lot of load capacity. I would go with a d or e load range
this is absolutely the opposite of my thought process. It's a tiny trailer, there's not a lot of load there. the softer sidewall will be beneficial in something like this. Trucks that are much heavier than that trailer ever will be run load range C perfectly fine! Also a ton cheaper to find.

literally the only reason im not running 15" wheels on my trailer is because I was given tires for free, which meant 16" wheels. I wish I had a tire that wasn't rated for so much but whats done is done.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

P (passenger) no
LT (light truck) would be my choice
ST (special trailer service) are almost 100% made in China with all of the quality China is renowned for. The sole exception is Goodyear and I am not certain where they are built (possibly China)

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Thanks for the input, I'm leaning towards getting 3 steelies and LT tires. I have battle wounds on my rims (from when I had lower-profile street tires) and on the tires from rocks threatening to tear apart the sidewall and the ST just don't seem to have enough sidewall protection.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

that's weird, cause ST tires have bigger cords and thicker sidewalls than comparable size LT's, for lateral strength and less sway when towing- less sway equals your trailer not getting squirrely and tracking nicer behind you...

pretty much a given when a tire company can pay someone $2 an hour or $25 bucks an hour. all the major tire brands have chinese plants, but at least with the top name brand names, you do seem to get better quality control. goodyear or michelin or whatever is not going to try ruin their name with sub-standard tires. generic chinese ST's i would absolutely avoid.
and "made in the USA" doesn't always mean better. my kids 2 yr old made in usa arctic cat quad has been one prob after another. so far had to replace seat, brakes (after TWO rides), fi relay, rims etc, problems i have never encountered on my '08 yamaha or my '08 suzuki quads....
The point is NONE of the domestic /major brand manufacturers other than Goodyear make an ST tire. The Chinaman knocked off the Goodyear Marathon which was probably the biggest piece of shit to ever wear the Goodyear name which is a pretty broad field.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

there are plenty of very good ST tires out there. Stop talking nonsense.

in the end, we have to take into account the size/weight/use of this person's trailer. an all-terrain LT tire will be perfect for it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

there are plenty of very good ST tires out there. Stop talking nonsense.

in the end, we have to take into account the size/weight/use of this person's trailer. an all-terrain LT tire will be perfect for it.
ST tires are generically garbage with very, very few exceptions. The Chinese do a good job on some things, tires isn't one of them.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

you seem very insistent all ST tires are made in China. I deliver tires to tons of tire shops from a National Distributor. There are plenty of non-chinese, very good ST tires out there. but hey, you keep thinking with your narrow mind, it's not hurting me in any way. Just don't spread false information.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

you seem very insistent all ST tires are made in China. I deliver tires to tons of tire shops from a National Distributor. There are plenty of non-chinese, very good ST tires out there. but hey, you keep thinking with your narrow mind, it's not hurting me in any way. Just don't spread false information.
While while you're delivering them, start looking at the sidewall where it says "Made In" and you will discover you are wrong.

Barring that just in case you don't trust your eyes, read the DOT, first four is the manufacturer.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

my ST's say Made in Taiwan...
clearly, that means they are made in China and are junk!!!!

Carlisle has trailer tires made in America, and they're pretty brutal tires lol. "made in" means nothing. but some people get stuck on the whole "china = bad" and "nothing is American anymore blah blah"
they just ignore all the factual information that goes against what they say. and then I toss them on my ignore list and carry on with my day :)

I really still don't even see the point of bothering with ST tires though. an E range LT tire will be way more than enough

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

clearly, that means they are made in China and are junk!!!!

Carlisle has trailer tires made in America, and they're pretty brutal tires lol. "made in" means nothing. but some people get stuck on the whole "china = bad" and "nothing is American anymore blah blah"
they just ignore all the factual information that goes against what they say. and then I toss them on my ignore list and carry on with my day :)

I really still don't even see the point of bothering with ST tires though. an E range LT tire will be way more than enough
I seem to be overlooking the "factual data" that you presented?

40 years in the tire business, including quite a few of them watching Chinese tires beat the shit out of customers equipment who liked their price point, followed by a switch to the other side in fleet management including some equipment shod in Chinese tires (that I spent more money in a 60 day period than you and your entire family will spend in a lifetime) getting them off the road because of Chinese product convinced me, but then I'm all about anecdotal data. You can't save enough money to pay for the collateral damage you will incur with poorly engineered and manufactured tires.

And Carlisle ST's are made in China.

Buy them if you want to, but they are garbage.

ETA: here is a list of DOT codes to help you identify where your tires are made , the fist two letter identify the manufacturer,

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

actually Taiwan is it's own self governing entity, the ROC

"And Carlisle ST's are made in China."
i guess someone at Carlisle must have mis-spelled "China"....
View attachment 176405

"Buy them if you want to, but they are garbage."

and this from first hand knowledge of using Carlisle tires?....or sumpthin' you read somewhere?
been running Carlisle and ITP quad and trailer tires for over 20 yrs, i belive your "assessment" of Carlisle tires is shit.
i have had my quad trailer thru more places than your average trailer tire will ever go, so tell your stories to someone else...

Carlisle tires come stock on my kid's made in 'murica arctic cat.....after 2 yrs of arctic cat ownership, maybe they should take some lessons on how to build a quality product from the japanese, or somebody, cause the quality is "garbage".
besides the after mentioned probs i have had with it, after 2 yrs i'm dealing with this kind of "murican "quality". at least i've had zero probs with the "garbage" Carlisle tires on it.
View attachment 176408View attachment 176410View attachment 176411

ya, 2 yrs old and the body is cracking around the racks.....NEVER had these kind of problems with my made in japan yamaha or suzuki.
maybe if they paid more attention to quality and detail, your jobs would still be at home and not oversea. Arctic cat has lost a repeat customer.
i have no problems with someone being proud of something being made in their country, but don't knock someone else's shit when your shit also stinks....
Taiwan IS China.

I'm specifically speaking to and about ST tires, not your lawn mower or ATV tires.

If you can quote where I said generically that all Carlisle tires are shit, do so. Otherwise you are projecting.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Carlisle has USA made trailer tires as well.....

Classic OB. I'm at blame here too for trying to pass my knowledge on and getting involved with a troll. My apologies to the OP and everyone else. I need to learn to just throw the trolls on the ignore list and not respond to them.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Carlisle has USA made trailer tires as well.....

Classic OB. I'm at blame here too for trying to pass my knowledge on and getting involved with a troll. My apologies to the OP and everyone else. I need to learn to just throw the trolls on the ignore list and not respond to them.
Ah, so passive aggressive wants to call me a troll, but yet produces no evidence of Carlisle making an ST in the USA.

Cool, call names, get puffy eyed, apologize to OB, awesome.

But the fact remains, and that is ST tires largely suck, and they are almost entirely Chinese made garbage.

Apology accepted, now hit that block button.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
For an off road trailer only thing I would wonder about is how the trailer tire tread and tire compound would handle slick or loose terrain. My thoughts would be to run an AT tire to help in that regard.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
For an off road trailer only thing I would wonder about is how the trailer tire tread and tire compound would handle slick or loose terrain. My thoughts would be to run an AT tire to help in that regard.
agreed 100% that trailer does need traction on slick or loose terrain. There's not much worse than having your trailer come round and smack you up side the head. As far as Chinese being junk? I'm old enough to remember the very same things being said about the Japanese junk. So, just friggin stop the China Made bashing. Sure, some is junk, as with anything made anywhere. But blanket statements? c'mon, I'd hope people in this community would loose the streak of red above their collar. I too was in the transportation industry and watched as a major corporation made a mis-informed decision, thanks to some clever presentations and false marketing ploys. They began purchasing American made re-capped, remanufactured tires for our trailers instead of brand new rubber. Within 6 months the experiment was over, big money was lost. I actually had tires blow on me for the first time in over 17 years. 2 or 3 a week. So yea, quality of tires is very important, and to the OP, always get a stronger tire than you think you may need.

Reactions: Rath

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy

What do you guys think?
Seem like most here are going for LT tires.View attachment 175742View attachment 175743View attachment 175744
I must be getting old as I've never thought of the 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern being rare. It's what I'm running on my Willys and trailer.

My advice is to run the same tires, wheels and lug pattern as your tow vehicle.

Reactions: MOAK