First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@serpaco Either will work well. My local LR group has a number of both LR3's and LR4's that come on trips they have no issues keeping up with the older trucks. Do a lot of research before committing, both on the platform and any individual truck you look at.

Do not buy cheap - I say this all the time buying someone else's sack of snakes because it is cheap is just stupid. Get a full mechanical check done by an LR shop before buying so you know what you are getting into. I also recommend that for every make of vehicle.

Like most modern vehicles working on it yourself can be difficult so have a good mechanic available is must.

While Xterra's are nice the LR3/4s are more capable trucks.

One downside is aftermarket is limited and tends to be expensive.

Aburkh4

Rank I

Contributor III

Van Meter, Iowa, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Burkhart
Wait until you find one with documented service records. You will thank me later. Also make sure you understand that rovers are maintenance heavy and it’s not cheap especially if you are paying for labor. Lr3 engine is damn near bulletproof and slightly underpowered if you start adding lots of weight. Lr4 has well documented engine weak points. If you are set on finding one with a rear locker look for one with a full size spare as they came together it was the only way to a locker. Otherwise if you have anything specific you want to know just ask I will do my best to answer.

Reactions: El-Dracho

serpaco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Serpa
Thanks everyone appreciate your replies. I've owned a 2006 Land Rover LR3 it was my first, had it for over four years, did the coil conversion and brought this baby back to life. Had 120,000 miles when I got it and I got t-boned last week in a car accident and if it wasn't for her we would have been toast, she had 300,000 miles on it and overlanded her all over Canada and was planning on doing the USA since I've been living her now for a few years. I found a 2007 have the carfax, spoke to the last mechanic who worked on it and got the complete run down on what it will need. Choose to go with something I need to fix up a bit so I can truly understand what is what and I have the service history so I should be good. The engine issues on the LR4's have me slightly worried but I know if they were sorted properly they are just as good but man I enjoy the LR3 like how its more utilitarian and I can do some of the work myself.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The basic technology of the two is very similar. The LR4 or Discovery 4 is basically a facelifted 3-series. In terms of price, of course, the 4 is usually somewhat higher than the 3. Regarding the engines there are clear differences. The LR4 has simply more beefy engines. Not all engines were available in all markets. As far as I know, the 3L diesels often cause trouble in the Disco 4 (crankshaft?).

I like the D3/D4 very much because it combines a very comfortable daily driver vehicle with very good offroad capabilities. If I would buy one, it would have to be a V8, which was unfortunately here in Germany available in the D3 only. Rarely does the 5 liter LR4 appear as a used car here. That one would be a dream.

I would look for one with a good service track record. And look closely that all the services and replacements were done properly. And then I guess with good maintenance these rigs are a awesome base for an overlanding rig.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@serpaco While Xterra's are nice the LR3/4s are more capable
I'm curious why you think this? I had a 1st Gen Ranger Rover Sport Supercharged (which dod have the rare rear locker) and have almost bought LR3/4s many times. I've wheeled with a bunch of them. I now have a 2nd Gen Xterra Pro-4X (so rear locker) and generally I think it's more capable, or at least far less dramatic in the same situations due to the solid rear axle vs. IRS in the LRs.

-TJ

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@tjZ06 I used to wheel with a Xterra group here in BC, and I have covered most of the same routes in my D2 in company with LR3/LR4's. I have found the Xterra's had to work harder to get past the same obstacles, once on the same day.
Now that could be driver experience but the 1 LR3 driver we had with use was on his 1st off road trip ever and no real issues. To be fair he had lots of experienced guys helping choose a line and what mode to use.

The Xterra drivers were having a tougher time, more wheel spin and power required.
It was a steep ,off camber, climb with loose rock and few small ledges.

I do not find solid axles particularly dramatic but I do approach obstacles a low speeds and cross them that way, so perhaps that is the difference.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
I just brought up XTerra's as a joke, because of the price.

LR's and XTerra's are different machines for different uses, both happen to be capable of many of the same things. The LR costs more and has better manners because it is a much more sophisticated design. As to which is more capable - it doesn't matter, he's set on a LR, and he's weighing the differences between generations to see which is better suited to him.

I'm going to be that guy and say the older is better, if you're looking for aftermarket support. If you don't care about price and can fabricate any thing you want, get whichever one has a sturdier drivetrain or a higher tow rating or better traction control or whatever particular features concern you.

Any LR guys with experience on these vehicles, we want to know how these functions compare between LR3 and LR4.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think everyone has nailed it. Both great options. Pretty much the same from 2005 to 2016 where it counts IMO just make sure you get the two speed transfer case if you go newer LR4, thats a must. I love having the 5.0 V8, but you certainly don't need it when off road. It is fun on the mountain passes to blow past my buddies in their tacomas (even supercharged and re-geared they still shift like a prius). Have a lot of mechanical sympathy and put in the wrench time and they will treat you very well.

Here is my 2013 LR4 HSE Lux w/ HD (rear locker) (I just got my 28 gallon Long Range America aux fuel tank done)
1676855591056.png
1676855605169.png

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Owned a 2005 LR3 and a 2012 LR4, I would say the LR3 is a better vehicle for dedicated overland rig, where the LR4 is sligtly better as a daily/overland rig.

The 4.4 was considerably more fuel efficient on and off road and is a more reliable motor in general than the 5.0, never really needed the extra power of the 5.0. Yeah the LR4 interior is nicer but the LR3 just has this perfect utilitarianess to it, my LR3 was only a 5 seater which gave it more space in the back, even after after removing the 3rd row seats from the LR4. I ran 275/65R18 on both and on the LR3 extremely minimal rubbing, where the LR4 had heaps of rubbing front and back, on the LR4 I would go a max of 265/65 if you don't wont to do lots of body work. Both of mine were HD packages and I would say they are about the same capability on really technical trails, the LR4 had slightly better traction control, quicker to engage the lockers.

Tk2427

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Kelly
Ive owned 3 x LR3 and a LR4. Currently I'm in a D5 and my son a 2008 LR3.

Also owned defenders, range rovers in both the UK and USA and my personal favorite is the US 4.4 LR3. Work through some suspension sensor and compressor issues and as long as serviced and maintain they are solid. I took my last LR3 from 63K to 198K with only basic consumable parts needing replacing

LR4. 5.0V8........beware, rework and replace timing chains, ALL COOLING HOSES AND RIGID PIPES, FRONT AND REAR. If that engine overheats it's done and NOT salvageable at a reasonable cost

serpaco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Serpa
Thanks everyone for sharing the info and truly appreciate all the insights as well. Ended up going with a 2008 LR3. My gut told me LR3, I was so use to my 2006 and had dialed it in so felt most comfortable here. I went with the one that had the best service history so thanks for that advice and I look forward to turning into a great overland rig.