Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

In looking for possible options under $5K, I have access to a lot of clean Land Rover Discovery II's and Range Rovers. Most of them are garage kept, clean trucks with under 150K miles. City cars, but still 4x4 and ready to be modified for overland use. So, what are the pros and cons of a Land Rover or Discovery?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
They're hard to beat for under $5k. I've heard it say they're expensive to maintain but this is not the case; that is if you don't use a dealer to maintain it. Between the two, I prefer a Discovery simply because they're highly capable and of the two, parts are more readily available.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Would I be better off to go with a Discovery I instead of a II? From what I've read they were less probed to trouble, but still a Land Rover. Let's face it, we all wish we could own a Defender, but that's not exactly cost effective.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've heard pros and cons for either or both. I owned a Discovery II and lived it. The most important thing is to get a good one. I'd look for eithe a I or II that had some of the add ons I wanted already installed (e.g. Lift, wheels and tires, rack system, etc.). Often your paying for the vehicle only and not the add ons. There are some pretty nice ones out there, particularly if you're willing to travel a bit to get it.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I drive a LR Discovery 1 300tdi and they just keep going and going - They are very sound engines (as its the same in the older 90/110/130 between '96-'99 ish)

Parts are easily available - some are even interchangeable between Discovery / Defender and Range Rover (Axel parts for example)

I guess alot of it comes down to is toys / mods, Disco's are more commonly modded for offroad / overland - I know someone who has literally travelled the world in his Discovery

Another aspect is what model you can get hold of, not sure what its like in USA but in UK Discovery and Range Rovers are plentiful whether its a scrapped one to rebuild or one which is fully kitted out :)

Kev

Reactions: rking.1688

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Would I be better off to go with a Discovery I instead of a II? From what I've read they were less probed to trouble, but still a Land Rover. Let's face it, we all wish we could own a Defender, but that's not exactly cost effective.

Oh and another point as mentioned above -
Disco 2's (TD5 engines are more fly by wire than 300tdi) so less electronics to really go wrong if they get wet..

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So, what I'm reading out of this and a discussion on a FB group...

1. Disco I's and III's are more reliable than Disco II's.
2. The 300TDI motor is the better option than the gas V8's
3. Avoid the air suspension.
4. Be prepared for more routine maintenance than normal.

Sound correct?

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

So, what I'm reading out of this and a discussion on a FB group...

1. Disco I's and III's are more reliable than Disco II's.
2. The 300TDI motor is the better option than the gas V8's
3. Avoid the air suspension.
4. Be prepared for more routine maintenance than normal.

Sound correct?

Id say thats about it in a nutshell,

As your in a drier climate the chassis would last a bit longer than over here in the damp UK, so getting it cleaned underneath and fresh underseal would be critical to keep it going for years :)

Routine maintain of the air filters, diff oil, engine oils and filters are usually part of the regime for any motor that people are want to keep for long periods

The more you look after it, the longer it lasts :p

Rolf C-P

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Member #

Having owned and run many of the LR power plants, it simply comes down to how remote you are going. I would trust the 300tdi engine (Disco 1) the take me around the world one if the most bullet proof engines going. Td5 Lots more complications.

That said, if you are not going to really be that remote, the extra power in the TD5 is most welcome.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Having owned and run many of the LR power plants, it simply comes down to how remote you are going. I would trust the 300tdi engine (Disco 1) the take me around the world one if the most bullet proof engines going. Td5 Lots more complications.

That being said, what about the gas motors in the Disco 1? Those seem to be more available than the TDI's around my neck of the woods.

Reactions: Zargon

Rolf C-P

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Member #

That being said, what about the gas motors in the Disco 1? Those seem to be more available than the TDI's around my neck of the woods.

To be honest I know very little about them because they lost popularity in the uk 25 years ago. I know that the V8 had a few problems (I am not sure about the specifics) and the power to size ratio was not worth the extra running costs, where as the TDi was loved world wide almost instantly.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

In looking for possible options under $5K, I have access to a lot of clean Land Rover Discovery II's and Range Rovers. Most of them are garage kept, clean trucks with under 150K miles. City cars, but still 4x4 and ready to be modified for overland use. So, what are the pros and cons of a Land Rover or Discovery?

Extrapolating from my experience of buying two quasi-old Mercs with 140-160k miles on them. Aside from the obvious checks when you inspect the rig, the best indicator that I found for a quality, used vehicle with that many miles is asking, "Do you have full service/maintenance records?" If the answer is affirmative, I'm interested. Otherwise, I'll most likely pass since you'll have to invest a decent amount of cash just buying fluids to establish your baseline for maintenance. Additionally, the type of person who keeps full records and takes their vehicle to a professional is the type of person I want to buy a car from. I'm much less interested in buying a car from the person who skips regular maintenance and is penny-wise, pound-foolish (pun intended).

Jeremy Clarkson once said, "The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Mercedes." The same could be true for a Land Rover/Range Rover but, isn't it way more fun to prove everyone wrong? Plus, if you buy one for cheap enough, you can afford to spend some on repairs/upgrades/etc. Keep us posted!

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

This is a great thread! I have a Discovery 4 and love it. Lots of folks in my rover group have D1 and D2s and there are pros and cons. I echo a few statements above that you should make sure it's a clean one and there is lots of guidance on the forums. I'm happy to put you in touch with a few experts who own shops and these vehicles and can certainly guide you in the right direction.... feel free to contact me.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

This is a great thread! I have a Discovery 4 and love it. Lots of folks in my rover group have D1 and D2s and there are pros and cons. I echo a few statements above that you should make sure it's a clean one and there is lots of guidance on the forums. I'm happy to put you in touch with a few experts who own shops and these vehicles and can certainly guide you in the right direction.... feel free to contact me.

If I end up going the Disco route I'll definitely be in touch!

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Thankfully I made the change at the right time. My Discovery 2 decided it was time to move to the Land Rover cemetery in the sky. I managed to borrow some money from my dad and got myself a Defender 90. I only wish I'd gone for the Defender 110 but I guess that chance has long gone now

Reactions: ce4460 and Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

My vote is for the D1 with the 3.9L V8 with the serpentine belt and distributor. Preferably in all white with a tan leather interior, dual sunroofs, a factory brush guard and safety devices roof rack. Probably smack some copper AT3's on it, and call it a day.

Then again, I might be a bit biased [emoji14]

Whatever you choose, I'm looking forwards to following along.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app