Lowest profile cross bars for truck caps like RSI etc.,

• HTML tutorial

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

I plan to get a truck and get a topper like RSI smartcap.
On top of it will be a RTT. However, most solutions I see for mounting involve adding 5-6" + RTT which makes the vehicle too high, leading to problems clearing 86-90" garages which are common.

I wonder what sort of ultra low profile solutions are there? Have you tried those. Maybe 8020/1010 1"x2" aluminum cross bars bolted directly to RTT via a T nut. And then the cross bars sit half inch above the truck cap, thus adding less than 2" to the truck height.
Now 1"x2" crossbars are not that strong, but I don't mind using 4 of them instead of 2 on the truck cap.

I am unable to find mounting solutions which can mount cross bars very close to the truck cap.

Looking for ideas and examples.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I made my roofrack out of superstrut and gutter mounts as low as I could make it. I had a RTT on it for a year or 2 until I decided getting up and down to open/close it was too much for me.

here are some build threads from my blog;

HTH

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You could build something using 80/20 like you said. the issue then is, attaching it to the roof. If it goes on the smart cap, it will be easy. Not so much on a truck or SUV.
On my small trailer, the RTT was attached with 1X2, 80/20, bolted to the lid. Later I needed to store my solar panel under it and raised it to 1.5 inch.