bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
Hi,
Looking at getting a cell booster. Im likely going with the weBoost Drive Reach or SureCell Fusion2Go Max. The weBoost is a more popular kit but both seem to have good uplink and downlink power.

But my question is what antenna. The weBoost OTR/Overland antenna offers decent gain in both the 700MHz (LTE) [2.4dB] and 1700/2200MHz (AWS) bands [3.8dB], but I would prefer a lower profile antenna. The Poynting PUCK-1 is low profile with great gain in the AWS bands [7dB] but is lossy in the LTE range. LTE lower frequency mat travel better to poor reception areas because they arent blocked as easily as higher frequencies. But then maybe not because in rural areas AWS may be more common than LTE so wavelength benefit null.

I know just enough about cell signal / antennas / gain to be dangerous lol. Definitely not an RF engineer though.

Recommendations?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

With those frequencies, height it mite! You can't boost a signal that you can't receive.
Personally I would only go with a lopro cell booster antenna if I was say just outside of a metro area where I knew I could get weak signal but for way out I would want something taller to hopefully receive any signal possible.

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
I want low profile a) because i prefer the "stealth" look vs the obvious weBoost style antenna b) my truck is already really tall (Ram 2500 Power Wagon) so I dont really want an extra 12+ inches of antenna to wack every low branch. I could put it on the fender, but that does not offer as good performance due to the lower height and being partially obstructed by the windshield/cab

I did have a good discussion with someone at Powerful Signal and they mentioned the small sharkfin antenna included in the SureCall Fusion Max kit is quite good because it is powered (?) so the published values are actually lower than reality. Leaning towards that route.

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
Other option I’m considering:
RFI 38” whip Antenna mounted to fender.
Pros: good gain , especially in the 700MHz range.
Cons: Fender mount means it isn’t fully above roof/partially blocked by cab of truck (reduced performance)