Loud vehicles?

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Beware Guys and Gals, On all the Hot rod sites and some Jeep sites are reports of LEO's in some states Issuing 1,000 $ tickets if your exhaust is not stock. No longer a "Fix-it" ticket, Citing that Mod Exhaust is illegal and must be replaced by stock Exhaust plus the 1,000 dollar fine....Was posted on YouTube too
I expect there are more details to this issue.

Modified exhaust with CARB E.O. approved parts should not be an issue. That is the reason companies jump through hoops and spend money to get the approval.

I would also wonder if this is not really a matter of folks who have deleted their catalytic converter.

And I would wonder if behavior doesn't also play a role in who gets these tickets. Act irresponsibly and you can expect someone to take a closer look at you and start finding things for which to punish you since it is far easier to write a ticket for objective shortcomings than it is for subjective ones.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Beware Guys and Gals, On all the Hot rod sites and some Jeep sites are reports of LEO's in some states Issuing 1,000 $ tickets if your exhaust is not stock. No longer a "Fix-it" ticket, Citing that Mod Exhaust is illegal and must be replaced by stock Exhaust plus the 1,000 dollar fine....Was posted on YouTube too
What states? Im guessing places like California and most of New England. At least here in Washington state we are protected from that, provided your car is at least 25years old. I was issued a ticket for the exhaust on one of my rigs, I printed out the RCW and went to court, it was thrown out.

Last edited:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I’m guessing it might be an age thing.
Both my motorcycles have aftermarket exhaust (bought second hand, so I didn't have much choice), but I love the sound of my bikes. I think it has to do with context and figuring out our "why". Why are we out here? Some people are out here to throw big rooster tails and listen to their V8, some are out here for peace and solitude; understanding our "why" is going to go a long way to determining how we act.

When I'm on my motorcycle, my "why" is very different than when I'm on the trail.

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I don't mind loud exhaust. I removed the cats and went with a magnaflow exhaust on my 4.7 WJ, love the sound and being able to hear it if I step on the gas.

I do dislike the ricer exhaust though, they sound like shit. Also, residential streets aren't the place to rev it loud, but out away from everything, i think is fine.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Personally, I like a good exhaust note. Stock is generally too quiet for me, in any vehicle. In my opinion, there's loud, and then there's loud, but obnoxious. A good sounding exhaust, loud or not, is a good sounding exhaust!

I think you V8 guys should upload some sound bytes!:grinning:

Reactions: RickLB

Fox

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Surry, VA, USA
Member #

I don't mind loud exhaust. I removed the cats and went with a magnaflow exhaust on my 4.7 WJ, love the sound and being able to hear it if I step on the gas.

I do dislike the ricer exhaust though, they sound like shit. Also, residential streets aren't the place to rev it loud, but out away from everything, i think is fine.
Thankfully I don't think it is feasible to get a ricer sound out of a big block V8, though I agree with you ricers sound like crap legitimate tuners sound decent but they can't compete with a V8 my daily is a tuner but it's quieter than the truck

Fox

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Surry, VA, USA
Member #

Personally, I like a good exhaust note. Stock is generally too quiet for me, in any vehicle. In my opinion, there's loud, and then there's loud, but obnoxious. A good sounding exhaust, loud or not, is a good sounding exhaust!

I think you V8 guys should upload some sound bytes!:grinning:
If you ever go to any of the meetups, you might be able to hear mine in person cuz we're in the same state I'm only about a hundred fifty miles south of you

Last edited:
Reactions: sabjku

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

To me it's not always how loud your exhaust is, but how you act with it. I'm not a huge fan of loud modified exhausts (especially motorcycles), but if you're not being a pain about it I usually don't care.

It's usually the modified loud motorcycles running wide open throttle in residential neighborhoods, campgrounds, or the woods that usually get me steamed. If you've got a loud exhaust and you're trying to stay off the throttle (at least making an attempt) I usually don't mind.

My neighbor seems to double-down because not only does he have a loud exhaust, but he blares his music over it.

One of my ex-neighbors apparently didn't like the sound of three pre-teen girls camping in my back yard who had quieted down by 900pm. So he jumped on his bike (an old kawaski) and proceeded to rev it and then drive around the block every hour on the hour just to "get back at them". What was funny is that as he walked out there each time his wife would try and stop him and predictably, the three girls would start giggling at them.

Reactions: Arailt and MazeVX