Lost Coast Trip last week !

• HTML tutorial

onedaatmc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colfax, California
Member #

so after Hwy 1 starts to go back into the trees and back inland from the beach ... a couple miles up in another tight curve to the right, there are these signs to a sharp left onto Usal rd. There is no sign that says Usal rd but it's Mendocino county rd 431... if you have a forest service map , you'll see ...

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Its so beautiful there ... but currently only the 1st 6 miles in ( 5 to the beach ) are open ... with all the rain we had this year , the rest of the road up to Shelter cove is closed, from what I found out ...Also that beach is NOT a good place to go on the weekend , I've read about it from several searches of Usal Rd and Sinkyone state beach ... lots of idiots out doing stupid stuff, shooting guns all hours of the night , blasting music all nite, based on the reviews I read... So I went during the week last week ... I was the only one there ! it was so nice and peaceful !
This was exactly our experience a couple weeks ago. We were there on a Friday - big mistake. Loud music, fireworks, etc. Hardly the remote/secluded experience we were expecting.

The road closure 6 miles in really put a further damper on it. I wish I would've saw your post before we went - would've saved us having to backtrack and find someplace else to camp!

Perhaps after they reopen it we'll need to have an Overland Bound trail run through there...

Reactions: onedaatmc

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

My Wife and I rode our motorbikes down from BC years ago, and rode the Lost Coast. It was amazing, totally awestruck the entire time. I'd love to go back sometime.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I went there on May 25th and it was spectacular! There were about 6-7 other vehicles there. Probably there to camp for Memorial Weekend.

@onedaatmc The gate was open! I drove it for about 16 miles past the gate without any issues. The ruts weren't bad and I even discovered a couple campsites out there. The plan wasn't to drive all the way to Shelter Cove because I'd rather do it with another rig, just in case... So I found a barely wide enough area of the trail to turn around, but I think I killed about 5 banana slugs in the process.

I camped on the other side of the creek which is to the right after you cross the bridge heading north. That site is large enough to host a group of 10-15 rigs, and a local even told me where there is natural spring water coming out of the mountain.

I can't wait to go back!

Last edited: