Los Angeles -> Breckenridge || Summer 2020 || Route Guidance

• HTML tutorial

silverfstop

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi Everyone -

Getting an advanced jump on things here - need time to sell the wife on the plan and get a new ride!

Next Summer we're planning a trip from Los Angeles to Breckenridge, exact vehicle is TBD (between rigs right now), however the least comfortable option will be a new 4 door wrangler, the most comfortable will be a 200 series LC. The least capable would be something in-line with a Lexus GX460, but with appropriate tires.

Given the direction we're headed, I'd like to make a few fun stops on the way. Zion and Bryce Canyon have been on my bucket list for a very long time. If we have a capable-enough rig (which we should), Engineer Pass is very high on my list (this is shown as Telluride on the Google Map). We'll camp everywhere except in Breckenridge, where we're visiting family.

We'll blast from Los Angeles to Utah via the I-15 and make good time. When it comes to getting in/out of Zion, Bryce and Engineer Pass - that's where I'd like to find some moderate off-highway trails, slow down and enjoy the scenery. In terms of complexity: I'm not looking for anything hardcore. Let Engineer Pass be the highlight of difficult, everything else should be a bit more relaxed and scenic. Well to semi-maintained forest roads would be ideal.

LA->Zion: - ~8 hours

Zion: TBD, 2-3 days max

Zion -> Bryce: ~3 hours (assuming all highway, which isn't the objective)

Bryce: TBD, 2-3 days max

Bryce -> Telluride: ~8 hours (assuming all highway, which isn't the objective)

Telluride / Engineer Pass: ~2 days max

Breckenridge: 3-4 days.

Total one way: About 14 days.

So, the big question:

1: What route (and diversions) to take between Zion and Breckenridge, and where to go off highway?

2: What route to take home. Unfortunately due to work constraints, we'll probably need to blast home with little time for diversions or stay overs. That said, we'll still probably take 2-3 days to get home, so smart planning is worth the effort for nicer campsites and opportunity to do recon for future trips. I figure we could go north past Provo, skim through central Nevada and though Death Valley (DV is on on my list for a Fall/Winter trip, so that would make for good recon), or south and through New Mexico and Arizona (Grand Canyon / Flagstaff would make for good recon too).

So, what should we do?

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 12.49.18 PM.jpg

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi Everyone -

Getting an advanced jump on things here - need time to sell the wife on the plan and get a new ride!

Next Summer we're planning a trip from Los Angeles to Breckenridge, exact vehicle is TBD (between rigs right now), however the least comfortable option will be a new 4 door wrangler, the most comfortable will be a 200 series LC. The least capable would be something in-line with a Lexus GX460, but with appropriate tires.

Given the direction we're headed, I'd like to make a few fun stops on the way. Zion and Bryce Canyon have been on my bucket list for a very long time. If we have a capable-enough rig (which we should), Engineer Pass is very high on my list (this is shown as Telluride on the Google Map). We'll camp everywhere except in Breckenridge, where we're visiting family.

We'll blast from Los Angeles to Utah via the I-15 and make good time. When it comes to getting in/out of Zion, Bryce and Engineer Pass - that's where I'd like to find some moderate off-highway trails, slow down and enjoy the scenery. In terms of complexity: I'm not looking for anything hardcore. Let Engineer Pass be the highlight of difficult, everything else should be a bit more relaxed and scenic. Well to semi-maintained forest roads would be ideal.

LA->Zion: - ~8 hours

Zion: TBD, 2-3 days max

Zion -> Bryce: ~3 hours (assuming all highway, which isn't the objective)

Bryce: TBD, 2-3 days max

Bryce -> Telluride: ~8 hours (assuming all highway, which isn't the objective)

Telluride / Engineer Pass: ~2 days max

Breckenridge: 3-4 days.

Total one way: About 14 days.

So, the big question:

1: What route (and diversions) to take between Zion and Breckenridge, and where to go off highway?

2: What route to take home. Unfortunately due to work constraints, we'll probably need to blast home with little time for diversions or stay overs. That said, we'll still probably take 2-3 days to get home, so smart planning is worth the effort for nicer campsites and opportunity to do recon for future trips. I figure we could go north past Provo, skim through central Nevada and though Death Valley (DV is on on my list for a Fall/Winter trip, so that would make for good recon), or south and through New Mexico and Arizona (Grand Canyon / Flagstaff would make for good recon too).

So, what should we do?

View attachment 119817

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Completing only Engineer Pass while you're in that area would be like going to a fine restaurant and having only an appetizer.

I'd recommend completing Imogene then Corkscrew, Hurricane and California on your way to Engineer, for example.

Reactions: KonzaLander

silverfstop

Rank 0

Traveler I

Completing only Engineer Pass while you're in that area would be like going to a fine restaurant and having only an appetizer.

I'd recommend completing Imogene then Corkscrew, Hurricane and California on your way to Engineer, for example.
Thanks for the advice - those all appear to be moderate, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Any pointers for Zion / Bryce areas?

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks for the advice - those all appear to be moderate, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Any pointers for Zion / Bryce areas?
I haven't been there yet.

I'm surprised you're driving through Moab with no mention of a stop. That would be at or near the top of my list!