CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Hey y'all. Electrical is definitely not my thing. I've spliced wires before, but that's about it.

Here's what I'm planning:
- 2 spot light pods - roof front
- 2 flood light pods - rear roof
- 2 diffused light pods or light bar - roof front or bumper
- 8 gang switch panel

Each one has the option to add a switch and harness, but I'm going to wire up a switch panel, so I might be able to save a few bucks by avoiding the switch option.

Here's what I think I need for each pod or light bar. Please correct me if I'm wrong:
- 1x relay
- 2x battery terminal connector
- 2x connectors that match light pod or bar
- 14awg POS cable
- 14awg NEG cable
- 1x inline fuse on POS wire going to positive battery terminal (or wire to fuse box using add-a-fuse or empty fuse slot)

Any way to get all that for less than $20 per pod?

Also, I'd like to replace the fog lamps in my other vehicle. They use this style connector, but all the LED fog lamps I find use DT connectors. Can I just remove the DT connector and replace them with the style that comes from the factory?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

If wiring isn't your think I'd get a switchpro, sPod, or similar. You won't need to mess with relays, switches, etc. Pretty strait forward install and plenty of videos and how to's. From there all you need is the lights and some black / red wire and you'll be good to go.

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
If wiring isn't your think I'd get a switchpro, sPod, or similar. You won't need to mess with relays, switches, etc. Pretty strait forward install and plenty of videos and how to's. From there all you need is the lights and some black / red wire and you'll be good to go.
Oh dang. Didn't even realize the switch panel would replace relays. That's great. Watched a couple videos but I'm still not 100% understanding. I think most of that will come with hands-on.

I suppose my list becomes:
- 2x connectors each light pod/bar
- 14awg POS cable each light pod/bar
- 14awg NEG cable each light pod/bar
- Auxiliary fuse box
- 8 gang switch panel

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Oh dang. Didn't even realize the switch panel would replace relays. That's great. Watched a couple videos but I'm still not 100% understanding. I think most of that will come with hands-on.

I suppose my list becomes:
- 2x connectors each light pod/bar
- 14awg POS cable each light pod/bar
- 14awg NEG cable each light pod/bar
- Auxiliary fuse box
- 8 gang switch panel
It just goes to the battery and panel comes into the cab. That's it. All relays are internal

Reactions: CafeRoaster

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Watched some more videos. Too frickin easy.

Why are some switches so expensive? What more do they offer?
The sPod and Switchpro are bluetooth and you can control them from an app on your phone. Comes in handy when you are sleeping at night and want some lights to go potty. Also looks cool. The Auxbeam ones are way cheaper but if you can swing it I would go spod. It's the most basic of all with operation and seems to be the most reliable. I've had all three.

Reactions: CafeRoaster

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Why are some switches so expensive? What more do they offer?
Switchpro and Spod are solid state switching. As far as I've seen the others still use mechanical relays. The mechanical relay systems are about half what solid state cost. They work but, are old technology and are subject to the issues relays normally have.

spod and switchpro have built in current limiting. Something shorts and it shuts off power internally, no fuse to deal with. No mechanical relays to overheat, corrode or wear out.
Blue tooth capability is nice also. I have a project I'm working on with limited room for wiring. I can remote mount an spod, run power to it, pull ground from near it and control all the lights with Bluetooth.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I am in the switch pro camp, currently running one in my ram and my JK. The SPod is a great equivalent though. there are many good reason to go with a switch system. For me the main reason is only 1 cable comes into the cab of the vehicle (Unless you are switching items on the interior of the vehicle like fridges, comms etc,) Gives on point of disconnection if you have a wiring or device failure so you can return the vehicle back to stock configuration to get back home. The auto resetting circuits save the need for fuses and relays. Installation is much cleaner under the hood without a pile of assorted relays etc mounted everywhere. The programmability of the systems is nice, you can easily program each switch for ignition power or battery power, momentary or on/off, have dimming function (great to have if your backup lights overpower your backup camera or if you want to dim your rock lights for use around camp). The bluetooth function is kind of gimmicky in my opinion, but have used it for turning on camp lights from up in the RTT to see what animal went bump in the night. Really the only thing I would consider a negative would be the cost, both Switch Pro and Spod are several hundred dollars, but for all the reasons above I have never regretted the purchase every time I turn on a device. I have done a lot of electrical design and installation and you really do get what you pay for when you use good components.

Some basic tips for a successful installation of any electrical accessory:
make sure you are using the correct gauge of wire and connectors for the amperage of the accessories you are installing, undersize = heat = failure or fire.
Use waterproof connectors (crimp with heat shrink and adhesive, Deutsch Connectors etc.)
Make sure to use grommets, wire loom and zip ties to keep wires from getting damaged or shorting out.
Take your time and make good solid connections as this is the most likely point of failure on the trail and hard to find.
Make a diagram of your install so you will remember what you did a few years down the road.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of folks on here with some good experience in auto wiring

Reactions: RickLB