Looking for Universal Cargo Basket!

• HTML tutorial

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Anyone know any good roof racks or cargo baskets? I am looking for something similar to GOBI but unfortunately they do not make any for the Jeep Renegade

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I had this one on my Blazer and loved it, it is big though so measure your roof to see if it would fit. It is sturdy also, I weigh 215lbs and was able to stand one it with just some flex in the mesh floor. For the price I was very impressed.

www.discountramps.com/roof-luggage-rack/p/RBC-6245HD/?CID=PSC-PLA-Google-RBC-6245HD-car-top-carriers-and-roof-racks&st-t=google-car-top-carriers-and-roof-racks&vt-pti=94804934182&vt-k=&vt-m=&CAWELAID=820562990000013429&CAGPSPN=pla&trkid=V3ADW216784_17196324862_pla-94804934182__85793654662_g_c_pla_&gclid=CPWOgMiHkcoCFQYbaQodXGMO9w

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Several of us have the Yakima Road Warrior. It is available with an 18" extension, which makes it pretty useful. Here's a link to some photos of mine with the awning attached and loaded with Plano boxes: Click Me --> #26

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Several of us have the Yakima Road Warrior. It is available with an 18" extension, which makes it pretty useful. Here's a link to some photos of mine with the awning attached and loaded with Plano boxes: Click Me --> #26
I was looking at those, but I wonder if any directly replace the factory roof rails?

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Th
I had this one on my Blazer and loved it, it is big though so measure your roof to see if it would fit. It is sturdy also, I weigh 215lbs and was able to stand one it with just some flex in the mesh floor. For the price I was very impressed.

www.discountramps.com/roof-luggage-rack/p/RBC-6245HD/?CID=PSC-PLA-Google-RBC-6245HD-car-top-carriers-and-roof-racks&st-t=google-car-top-carriers-and-roof-racks&vt-pti=94804934182&vt-k=&vt-m=&CAWELAID=820562990000013429&CAGPSPN=pla&trkid=V3ADW216784_17196324862_pla-94804934182__85793654662_g_c_pla_&gclid=CPWOgMiHkcoCFQYbaQodXGMO9w
Did you use the U-bolts?

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Th

Did you use the U-bolts?
I did at first, they seemed pretty sturdy, I later went to the hardware store and bought good stainless U-bolts and bolted it down. For being on the cheaper (cost wise) side I was pretty happy. The Yakima is better quality for sure, I'm just cheap lol

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

You guys think I could use the Yakima with just U-Bolts? All I really want to do is mount Maxtrax ramps on it and a few recovery tools

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

You guys think I could use the Yakima with just U-Bolts? All I really want to do is mount Maxtrax ramps on it and a few recovery tools
I would assume so. I have always mounted my roof racks to the existing roof rack bars. And never had an issue and Iv'e had some serious loads up there. My Blazer said "weight limit of 200lbs" lol... I had it loaded down with 2 huge plano cases full of gear, 2- 5 gallon water cans, a shovel, LED lights all around and a tent, 2 camp chairs and a Hi-Lift jack. Was easily twice what it said and never had an issue. Only time overloading a racks weight limit would be bad is if you had to slam on your brakes, it may rip the factory rack out and all your gear would keep going forward after you stopped. My suggestion is to load as light as possible, keep in mind the more weight you carry up there the more top heavy and unsafe your rig becomes.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@XPlore Are you looking to remove the roof rails and mount a basket directly to the top of the vehicle? Or do you mean you want to remove the crossbars and mount the basket directly to the roof rails? If the later, it depends on their spacing. The Yakima LoadWarrior is 32-33" wide at the bottom of the straight cross-tubes where you could clamp it.

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

@XPlore Are you looking to remove the roof rails and mount a basket directly to the top of the vehicle? Or do you mean you want to remove the crossbars and mount the basket directly to the roof rails? If the later, it depends on their spacing. The Yakima LoadWarrior is 32-33" wide at the bottom of the straight cross-tubes where you could clamp it.

I am looking to mount it directly to the roof rails

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

In that case by a decently cheap rack (i bought an arksen brand off Amazon for 130 bucks) and then just reinforce it with some steel and your golden

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

I have no idea how to weld, maybe I should buy a cheap basket and have s hop do it?