Looking for Trail Around Reno

• HTML tutorial

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

All: headed to Reno with the family after Thanksgiving. Any good trails there to do some easy to moderate wheeling? Don’t want to scare them too much. Have a stock Tacoma TRD Offroad. Thanks for any pointers.

andrewksu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dickson
Member #

There are a number of good ones, but we are expecting decent snow next week. Hunter Lake trail is nice if weather permits, but it gets up to some elevation and has a good deal more climb to it. If the snow is concerning, you could head out to see some petroglyphs out near Virginia City, which is flatter with a few fun elevation changes. Let me know what you are thinking and I can send Gaia maps.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

The Peavine Peak area NW of town is covered in fun trails. If you head to Golden Eagle Regional park on Vista Blvd E of Sparks there is an easy trail that leaves from the SE corner of the park. Hopefully someone local will chime in...

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

There are a number of good ones, but we are expecting decent snow next week. Hunter Lake trail is nice if weather permits, but it gets up to some elevation and has a good deal more climb to it. If the snow is concerning, you could head out to see some petroglyphs out near Virginia City, which is flatter with a few fun elevation changes. Let me know what you are thinking and I can send Gaia maps.
That sounds cool..., sure, send the details.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
That sounds cool..., sure, send the details.
BC John,

Just got back from being off grid in Saline Valley. Sorry to reply so late.

All the trails mentioned are fun runs. However, because of the snow expected at elevation, I personally would not go on Hunter Lake Trail with a stock Tacoma. The trail has gotten a bit rougher in spots so you may want to go to the petroglyphs since it's a bit lower. Check out The Reno Overlanding Meetings and Trail Runs thread at the link below. On page 10 is the petroglyph run and if you flip through the pages you will see the hunter lake run also a bit further on page 10.

PM me if you have any questions.

Bill