Enthusiast II

New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hi All,

I have a larger family and we’re looking at investing in a larger RTT, ideally something that could easily house 4-6 people (min 2 adults, 3-4 children) Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with recommendations/what not to consider?

Thanks!

Reactions: Shahn

Tymarklein

Rank I

Contributor III

Blue Mounds, WI, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Marklein
I'll second the FSR High Country 80". I purchased for my family of 4 and it fits us all plus a few bags. Setup is fast and easy. Great quality tent. Attached a few pics for ya. For scale, the first pic is of my 3 yo laying in the tent. Depending on the size of everyone, I'd bet you can get em all in :)

Link to what I have: HIGH COUNTRY 80" PREMIUM

Attachments

Reactions: SS308 and SJois

Avominion

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'll second the FSR High Country 80". I purchased for my family of 4 and it fits us all plus a few bags. Setup is fast and easy. Great quality tent. Attached a few pics for ya. For scale, the first pic is of my 3 yo laying in the tent. Depending on the size of everyone, I'd bet you can get em all in :)

Link to what I have: HIGH COUNTRY 80" PREMIUM
This is fantastic! Thank you for the pics ha! That scale would fit everyone pretty much perfect

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
We have been really happy with the Roof Nest Condor. I know they make this same model in an XL but we have a 5' bed so the standard fits perfect for us. The inside is very spacious. I, my wife and our bulldog all fit great and have plenty of room. I am 6' 2" 245lbs and we honestly don't ever feel like we are on top of each other. It has held up well and our only real complaint is that we cannot leave the pillows inside it when we close it up. Sleeping bag works fine but not the pillows. Hope that helps.RTT1.jpegRTT2.jpeg

Reactions: Shahn and Avominion

thorstenson203

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Diamond Bar, California, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Thorstenson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YLE
Hi All,

I have a larger family and we’re looking at investing in a larger RTT, ideally something that could easily house 4-6 people (min 2 adults, 3-4 children) Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with recommendations/what not to consider?

Thanks!
23Zero makes some decent RTTs

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The extra-wide family RTTs take a special place among the roof tents that offer extra space. The space on offer is of course tempting. Please keep in mind that a tent of the width must also fit on your vehicle, because usually extra-wide mountings are also required as a basic construction. They do not fit on every base rig.
Whereas I think to recognize a fullsize pickup on your profile picture, right? There is probably enough space, right?

One family roof tent that comes to mind off the top of my head is the Eezi-Awn Family 2200, which is really big at 220cm (about 87'') wide. It even has 2 compartments and 2 entrances. Are the Eezi-Awn products distributed in North America?

Another option I've seen many times at overlanding families is simply two roof top tents on the rig. One for the adults, one for the kids. I remember well a family from Belgium that we met in Mongolia a few years ago. They were traveling with a Hilux and two RTTs, one for the adults and one for the two children. The children were fully involved in setting up the camp. Which was great, so they can learn a lot about outdoor activities, camping and overlanding and are busy.

Avominion

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Smith
Member #

The extra-wide family RTTs take a special place among the roof tents that offer extra space. The space on offer is of course tempting. Please keep in mind that a tent of the width must also fit on your vehicle, because usually extra-wide mountings are also required as a basic construction. They do not fit on every base rig.
Whereas I think to recognize a fullsize pickup on your profile picture, right? There is probably enough space, right?

One family roof tent that comes to mind off the top of my head is the Eezi-Awn Family 2200, which is really big at 220cm (about 87'') wide. It even has 2 compartments and 2 entrances. Are the Eezi-Awn products distributed in North America?

Another option I've seen many times at overlanding families is simply two roof top tents on the rig. One for the adults, one for the kids. I remember well a family from Belgium that we met in Mongolia a few years ago. They were traveling with a Hilux and two RTTs, one for the adults and one for the two children. The children were fully involved in setting up the camp. Which was great, so they can learn a lot about outdoor activities, camping and overlanding and are busy.

Thanks El Dracho,

Yes I am using a full-sized rig, and would be able to fit the larger RTT with more distance between the mounting brackets. I'm not certain if they're distributed in North America, however we do have a couple shops I've found which seem to be able to bring in more difficult items.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Reactions: El-Dracho