Looking for someone in SF Bay Area with...

• HTML tutorial

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

A decent sized drill press. I have a bed divider that mounts in the utilitrak on my Frontier. I need to drill 4x .250" holes in the extruded steel rail that makes up the top crossbar. I will then install a loc-rac hi-lift mount.

I could theoretically hand drill it, I trust my abilities and my 20v Dewalt. I do have slight trepidations because I have to drill through double walls, and those are tricky to keep straight with a hand drill. So I would rather toss back a sixxer with one of you in your garage so we can screw it up together!

Any takers???

Reactions: MVP-Overlander

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Worked out quite well. Left my rear window open this weekend and never heard the thing wiggle once on a couple of fire roads...

I need to make a generic 3/4" spacer to put behind the locking hasp so it holds the bar further away. Then I can leave the jack handle isolator on there. As it sits it won't fit.

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I was going to say that it can be done with a hand drill.

I would use a punch to dimple the steel where you want to start the hole, then do a pilot hole that goes all the way through before using the larger bit to get it to the size you want.

I'm not sure what technique you used, but the results look good. I like the mount for the sand base, does that have a wing nut on it so you can remove it easily for use?

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I was going to say that it can be done with a hand drill.

I would use a punch to dimple the steel where you want to start the hole, then do a pilot hole that goes all the way through before using the larger bit to get it to the size you want.

I'm not sure what technique you used, but the results look good. I like the mount for the sand base, does that have a wing nut on it so you can remove it easily for use?
Exactly as you described it. Punch, pilot, and drill. I knew I could do it, I was really just looking for someone interested in mods and whatnot for future projects :-)

And yea, just a big fat wingnut on the back of the base, can be bolted just about anywhere on the screen. I'm eyeballing Hi-Lift's toolbox that bolts to the bar of the Hi-lift. It calls to me for some reason...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Worked out quite well. Left my rear window open this weekend and never heard the thing wiggle once on a couple of fire roads...

I need to make a generic 3/4" spacer to put behind the locking hasp so it holds the bar further away. Then I can leave the jack handle isolator on there. As it sits it won't fit.
Nice looking setup.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Exactly as you described it. Punch, pilot, and drill. I knew I could do it, I was really just looking for someone interested in mods and whatnot for future projects :-)

And yea, just a big fat wingnut on the back of the base, can be bolted just about anywhere on the screen. I'm eyeballing Hi-Lift's toolbox that bolts to the bar of the Hi-lift. It calls to me for some reason...
What is this toolbox you speak of.