Looking for Rigs that use Topper tents like AT Overland, Project M, Super Pacific, Go Fast, etc on a 5.5 bed on a F150

• HTML tutorial

DISH36

Rank II

Contributor III

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Green
Member #

I have a 2014 F150 super crew FX4 and do not want to go the roof rack/RTT route but rather a topper like an Alu Cab (I know they do not have a model for the f150 yet coming in fall 2022), AT Overland, Project M from Four wheel Camper, or the vagabond Nomad, etc. I want to access my tent from the bed of my truck. Does anyone on here have one for the F150 short bed> insights on what you considered vs what /why you went with x versus why >? Pic s would be great as well bc i would love to see bed build-outs as well. any insight would be appeciated.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Watching this too. I have a 2011 F-150 Super Crew and like the Topper Tent idea but damn they are expensive. $12K starting for the AT Overland one. I'll probably just end up going to the A.R.E. Overland edition for about $2.5K since I already have the RTT. I know you can't get into the tent from the bed but it would expand my inside storage quite a bit!

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
I have a 2014 F150 super crew FX4 and do not want to go the roof rack/RTT route but rather a topper like an Alu Cab (I know they do not have a model for the f150 yet coming in fall 2022), AT Overland, Project M from Four wheel Camper, or the vagabond Nomad, etc. I want to access my tent from the bed of my truck. Does anyone on here have one for the F150 short bed> insights on what you considered vs what /why you went with x versus why >? Pic s would be great as well bc i would love to see bed build-outs as well. any insight would be appeciated.
it took a little over a YEAR to get our GoFast (build slots go fast, used ones sell fast, you will want to go fast to pick it up) VERY SLOW to build.
that said worth it! We got in on the RTT but got to see a number of very cool custom builds for the toppers. Lots of photos on the Go Fast forum.
Info about dust and water proofing. Wiring ideas and more. It would be worth checking out even if I've crushed your dreams of ownership.
most of the mod ideas cross over to other brands so you can used it as a learning tool. Seen some people have added AC and or Heat, water, cell boosters;
Making them into a mirco RV.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Since you're in AZ, I would look at Ovrlnd Campers out of Flagstaff. I'm on the waitlist for one, and they make one for the F150 according to their site. Finally saw one in person a few weeks ago and it was a solid piece of craftsmanship. I also hear the owners are super nice people. I bet if you go through their IG site, you could probably find some examples on an F-150.

DISH36

Rank II

Contributor III

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Green
Member #

I've seen them and others at the Expo up on Flagstaff. I'm looking for real life examples and why they choose company (a) over company(b). I know to some lead time is a factor so is how much DIY you plan on like is the case for Ovrlnd brand (generally). I'm leaning between AT Overland Atlas and Ovrlnd (partly bc both are in AZ and a couple other factors)

I've joined FB groups of the major brands to get a feel from that perspective as well.

Additionally, looking at general considerations to overlanding as I wait for one to be built (most brands are atleast 6 months out with AT/Ovrlnd both being 9 months +/- a month).

Just need to make a final decision.