haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Hey everyone, keep going back and forth on which double sleeping bag to buy. I have decided I'm tired of cheeping out on gear and want to get a decent double sleeping bag for the wife and I for our upcoming (and hopefully first of many more) trip. I was wanting the Kelty Tru comfort double wide, but they are pretty much sold out everyone Upon further research, it loks like nearly everything is sold out everywhere...

Anyone have any good recommendations? I just don't want to buy a knockoff brand. I would love a true 3 season bag that might even lean towards the cold side as it's easier to unzip or take layers off then it is to try and get warm when you can.

Cav 3724

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coronado California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
C
Try cabelas. Bought my wife a heavy canvass, flannel lined bag. They said you get two of them and zip them together to make double. She is not a camping type but it made the difference between her not wanting to go and going. I tried it once and it cooked me.

Reactions: Greenebelly

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

You might check here for reviews on specifc equipment.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
You might check here for reviews on specifc equipment.
Iv seen all sorts of review sites. I'm not convinced that a lot of what you read isn't paid advertising. I'v seen soo many reviews of all kinds of gear that just sounds like a paid sponsorship, that's why i like asking real people.

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

Hey everyone, keep going back and forth on which double sleeping bag to buy. I have decided I'm tired of cheeping out on gear and want to get a decent double sleeping bag for the wife and I for our upcoming (and hopefully first of many more) trip. I was wanting the Kelty Tru comfort double wide, but they are pretty much sold out everyone Upon further research, it loks like nearly everything is sold out everywhere...

Anyone have any good recommendations? I just don't want to buy a knockoff brand. I would love a true 3 season bag that might even lean towards the cold side as it's easier to unzip or take layers off then it is to try and get warm when you can.
Kelty TruComfort Doublewide has been perfect for me and the wife. It's not cheap, but it's reasonable. We're in Florida so we're ranging from 70s to 30s at night. Here's the link, it's pretty versatile with zippers for each person as well as a removable top layer and still having a lighter inside blanket for warmer nights. It doesn't pack down small though, but not sure what double sleeping bags do. Of all the ones I've seen, this one seemed jsut right. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

Greenebelly

Rank I

Member I

Wilsonville , Oregon
First Name
James
Last Name
Greene
Member #

I would advise a canvas square bag. Weight isn’t an issue since your overlanding. If you ever end up in a very cold environment and need the bag as a throw by the fire, canvas won’t get an immediate hole like these “ new” bags. Just my two cents.

Reactions: haaken675

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Kelty TruComfort Doublewide has been perfect for me and the wife. It's not cheap, but it's reasonable. We're in Florida so we're ranging from 70s to 30s at night. Here's the link, it's pretty versatile with zippers for each person as well as a removable top layer and still having a lighter inside blanket for warmer nights. It doesn't pack down small though, but not sure what double sleeping bags do. Of all the ones I've seen, this one seemed jsut right. Good luck!
That is the exact bag I wanted. They are not in stock anywhere unfortunately. Only 1 amazon seller had the and thy wanted an $80 premium...I purchased a cheaper Teton Sports bag for now. Depending on how this trip goes, and things start coming back into stock perhaps we will get to upgrade.

Reactions: gonzoy5

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

That is the exact bag I wanted. They are not in stock anywhere unfortunately. Only 1 amazon seller had the and thy wanted an $80 premium...I purchased a cheaper Teton Sports bag for now. Depending on how this trip goes, and things start coming back into stock perhaps we will get to upgrade.
Ah yes, they're always in and out of stock, but usually not too long. Use that notify feature and be patient, it's definitely worth it.

Reactions: haaken675

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I have had good luck with a few bags bought from Sportsman's Guide over the years. A quick search shows they have a few in stock. Two examples below.

1595355106820.png

1595355171041.png

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I would advise a canvas square bag. Weight isn’t an issue since your overlanding. If you ever end up in a very cold environment and need the bag as a throw by the fire, canvas won’t get an immediate hole like these “ new” bags. Just my two cents.
That's such a great point about canvas. I couldn't think of any advantages, especially in wet weather, but that would definitely have been one. Probably not going ot have a fire in my tent, but at the cabin mid-late fall that could be a good option.

Reactions: Greenebelly

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My wife and i bought a teton sports zero degree bag. I really like it. Only complaint I have is it doesn't live in the rooftop tent. Its too thick. Otherwise its perfect. We don't intend to use it next to the fire or on the ground tho.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just ordered off of eBay, thank you for the link. This is exactly what @KRose has been asking for for a sleeping upgrade. I hope it keeps her warm enough... I find bags too warm... so the seller ate zippers should be a nice touch for heat control in warmer weather.

Reactions: gonzoy5

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
We have the large canvas square bags from cabelas. They're big and heavy and don't roll very small, but that's ok when car camping. Zip 2 of them together and its fine for the wife who is always freezing. Last year in the eastern sierras it was below 20 at night and we were snug as a bug. The first night of our trip we had pouring rain and thunder and lightening in the early evening and had dinner inside the tent.
At the end of every season we take them to the laundromat and throw them in the big commercial washer and drier.

Attachments

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Hands down without a doubt the best sleeping bags I’ve owned are the Sierra Designs Back Country Beds. I have the duo down version which is a two person and the 40 degree down for single sleeping.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

We've had two of the North Face Dolomite (long) series that can be used standalone or zipped together for several years. Rated to 20* and at 3.5 lbs not too heavy for shorter overnight backpack trips. These along with the Thermarest Trail Comfort pads make for a pretty comfortable sleep.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The Kelty TruComfort Doublewide Sleeping Bag paired with the Kelty TruComfort Doublewide sleeping partner is awesome... best night sleep we have gotten while camping since we were kids.