Looking for recs on inverter, brand, size, model, etc....

• HTML tutorial

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
So I finally have my dual battery kit installed. I'm running two 64AH AGM batteries. One functions as my cranking battery and one as my auxiliary battery. The cranking battery gets isolated after it drops to 12.7v.

I would like to add a 3rd battery eventually and a solar panel/blanket to my kit.

For now I'm running a fridge full-time (Dometic CFX55).

I'd like to add an inverter to charge my laptop and run some appliances. The major appliance I am considering running is an air-fryer. I know its pretty bougie for an overland setup but there's pretty small ones.

From what I've seen they are around 1800 watts, but the manufacturers don't list what is their peak power/continuous, etc......and I'm very much a noob at this.

Do I need a 2000 watt inverter or a 3000 watt? Any brand/model recommendations? Thanks!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

When looking for an inverter look at the specs. You want the output in RMS watts NOT peak or peak to peak. (Sales gimmick used on everything from stereos, depth finders, inverters etc.) and Pure Sine Wave. Hair dryers, microwaves, coffeemaker, air fryers are all very high draw appliances. A 1800w air fryer is going to draw around 150 amps. A 2k pure sine wave inverter would be close to its max output. It would take your batteries down to 10.5V in minutes. An inverter this size is going be very very high draw. Your going to be looking at over $100 just for the cable, lugs, fuses. I highly recommend Blue Seas Systems. 00 cable and keep your run under 3’ due to the voltage drop at a high current. This is dangerous stuff be sure to follow all safety practices and wear eye protection. Check out DonRowe.com for inverters and tech support. And Blue Seas has great tech support also. IMO some of your better inverters are Magnum, Kisae, Xantrex.
My system is 2 group 31 AGMS, Blue Seas ACR, Kisae 2KW Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Xantrex Marine 20A 3 bank charger, one bank for the start battery and the other 2 for the AGMs. 125w solar panel w/ Morningstar controller. All marine wiring and hardware. This runs my fridge (30w), coffeemaker (700w) small microwave (800w), not all at the same time, chargers for all the accessories.When I run the microwave You can see my voltmeter drop like a rock, lol. Installed over 10 years ago and never missed a beat. Get ready for sticker shock your probably looking around a grand+.

Reactions: thalooch