• HTML tutorial

venture4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nomadic
Member #

Hey everyone,

Starting from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, I've been traveling across the country in my Jeep for the past four months. It's gone smoothly. I target National Forests, and coffee shops with Internet access from which to work. I finally made it to California, with the intention of spending a week or two in the vicinity of San Diego.

However, I hit California with no local knowledge and I'm encountering a lot of private land and land-use restrictions. Furthermore, I need to stay reasonably close to Internet access for work, and to publish my weekly YouTube video.

So I'm looking for places to pop my camper between Julian and San Diego, for up to a week. The more rural, the better, although in San Diego is OK. It must be safe (not stabby), free, legal, and within a dozen miles from decent Internet access. It doesn't have to be a wilderness destination. It can even be a parking space or a driveway. The adventure is the lifestyle!

Do you guys have any suggestions?

I welcome all sorts of advice on how to maintain my rhythmic, overland lifestyle in CA! :)

Reactions: Kelly

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Are you looking to avoid fees? You got plenty of options around the Julian/San Ysabel areas. I spent a decent amount of time around there and I know how you can drift from private land to state land to federal land to BLM in like 20 square feet.

You can disperse camp in Cleveland National Park, and you can just pull over and sleep along stretches of the sunrise highway (as long as it not explicitly posted). I would also just look for PCT trail heads. Some of those are near towns. I can let you borrow my extra adventure pass.

There are some spots around Mission Bay that RV and vans park overnight if you want to experience being a beach bum. While technically overnight parking isn't allowed, it's rarely enforced. If cops would.come by they'd probably be more interested in asking you about your rig.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: venture4wd

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

Hey, just saw you at breakfast in Julian at Grandma's. My wife and I had just dropped off our kid at camp for 3 weeks. I have the silver 4Runner that was parked in front. Nice looking Jeep! I would have said Hi but I haven't seen my wife in a week so she probably wouldn't have appreciated me doing the "overland geek" thing I do. [emoji23][emoji23]

Anyways, WhatTheZo covered it for camping up there. Get an Adventure Pass from the gas station in Pine Valley ($25?) and you can park pretty much anywhere. There's also a lot of free camping in Ocotillo, but it's very hot out there right now.

If you want to stay somewhere in the city itself for a day or two we could probably find you a place too. Just shoot me a PM.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

venture4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nomadic
Member #

Are you looking to avoid fees? You got plenty of options around the Julian/San Ysabel areas. I spent a decent amount of time around there and I know how you can drift from private land to state land to federal land to BLM in like 20 square feet.

You can disperse camp in Cleveland National Park, and you can just pull over and sleep along stretches of the sunrise highway (as long as it not explicitly posted). I would also just look for PCT trail heads. Some of those are near towns. I can let you borrow my extra adventure pass.

There are some spots around Mission Bay that RV and vans park overnight if you want to experience being a beach bum. While technically overnight parking isn't allowed, it's rarely enforced. If cops would.come by they'd probably be more interested in asking you about your rig.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
I just spent the weekend at the Sunrise Trailhead PCT parking lot. It got the job done, and the temperature was superb after spending the past two months in the desert. So very refreshing!

My goal is to head west, dip my toes in the Pacific for a week and turn northward. Up until here, I've been staying rural, avoiding larger populations, and there has always been a BLM or National Forest to hop to.

I really like the idea of doing the "beach bum" thing for a week. I haven't had such an experience on my journey yet, and I think it'd be amazing. Is there anywhere particular in Mission Bay that I should consider or research?

Thank you VERY much for your suggestions!

Reactions: WhatTheZo

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I just spent the weekend at the Sunrise Trailhead PCT parking lot. It got the job done, and the temperature was superb after spending the past two months in the desert. So very refreshing!

My goal is to head west, dip my toes in the Pacific for a week and turn northward. Up until here, I've been staying rural, avoiding larger populations, and there has always been a BLM or National Forest to hop to.

I really like the idea of doing the "beach bum" thing for a week. I haven't had such an experience on my journey yet, and I think it'd be amazing. Is there anywhere particular in Mission Bay that I should consider or research?

Thank you VERY much for your suggestions!

Down by DeAnza Cove is a really nice area and you'd be very close to Pacific Beach. There is also a cheap campground called Campland on the Bay. That whole area is only 10 min or so from my house, so let me know if you need anything.

Reactions: WhatTheZo

venture4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nomadic
Member #

Hey, just saw you at breakfast in Julian at Grandma's. My wife and I had just dropped off our kid at camp for 3 weeks. I have the silver 4Runner that was parked in front. Nice looking Jeep! I would have said Hi but I haven't seen my wife in a week so she probably wouldn't have appreciated me doing the "overland geek" thing I do. [emoji23][emoji23]

Anyways, WhatTheZo covered it for camping up there. Get an Adventure Pass from the gas station in Pine Valley ($25?) and you can park pretty much anywhere. There's also a lot of free camping in Ocotillo, but it's very hot out there right now.

If you want to stay somewhere in the city itself for a day or two we could probably find you a place too. Just shoot me a PM.

Scott

omg - Scott. Such a small world! I was joining Overland Bound and posting as I was sitting right beside you!

I did note that you were likely an overlander when I overheard you talking about "skittles." I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. I was fully engrossed in my doings!

I would like to stay in (or very near) the city, for the experience, so any ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a tight budget, just scraping by as I sustain myself on the road. So fee areas are undesirable.

What is the Adventure Pass for?

This is the first I've heard of it, and I've already spent a couple of nights near Julian.

Great to have almost met you! :)

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

omg - Scott. Such a small world! I was joining Overland Bound and posting as I was sitting right beside you!

I did note that you were likely an overlander when I overheard you talking about "skittles." I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. I was fully engrossed in my doings!

I would like to stay in (or very near) the city, for the experience, so any ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a tight budget, just scraping by as I sustain myself on the road. So fee areas are undesirable.

What is the Adventure Pass for?

This is the first I've heard of it, and I've already spent a couple of nights near Julian.

Great to have almost met you! :)
HAHAHA!! That's awesome. I was trying to describe a Skottle to my wife but kept saying "Skittles" instead. We decided I should buy a Skottle and paint Skittles on it using engine paint... (we were really tired)

The Adventure Pass is for parking in National Forrest areas. Technically, you're supposed to have one . . .

Let me see what I can come up with re places to stay and I'll get back to you.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Down by DeAnza Cove is a really nice area and you'd be very close to Pacific Beach. There is also a cheap campground called Campland on the Bay. That whole area is only 10 min or so from my house, so let me know if you need anything.

I second this, so you wouldn't risk getting a ticket. Parking lots are usually closed from 2AM to 4AM.

Don't forget to get a California burrito.

I think YETI X is the most spotted SD OB member [emoji6].

venture4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nomadic
Member #

I second this, so you wouldn't risk getting a ticket. Parking lots are usually closed from 2AM to 4AM.

Don't forget to get a California burrito.

I think YETI X is the most spotted SD OB member [emoji6].
Not a problem! I try to get a burrito in every state! [emoji23]

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Not a problem! I try to get a burrito in every state! [emoji23]

I think even more important than getting a burrito in SoCal is to get an order of Carne Asada fries. They are the SoCal grown-up Happy Meal. I highly recommend the Cotixan off Genessee just a block north of Balboa. It is basically just up the hill from Pacific Beach/De Anza cove.

And if you like fish tacos then the Rubios on Mission Bay Drive at the end of Bunker Hill is another place you should pay a visit to if you are in the neighborhood.

Finding a place to boondock in the city is going to be difficult because just about every bum on the planet would like to live here. Where else are you going to find better weather if you want to live without a home? I can't think of any place where there isn't some risk of law enforcement at least coming by for a "welfare check" or some such thing. I don't know that it would come with a ticket, but they might want you to move along.

By the way, the Wilderness Pass requirement seems to be fulfilled by the National Parks Pass, at least for Mount Laguna. For all the traveling you are doing I would hope you have one of those. I am sure it would have paid for itself by now. Here in the city it will get you into Cabrillo National Monument. You can get some nice views back to the east from there, but you really need some nice clear skies and I doubt you will get that lucky in the short term. You should still get good views of the city if you care to bother for that.

ETA: It looks like you might be able to camp on Mount Otay. According to this source: http://www.summitpost.org/otay-mountain/451212

You can camp here according to Wilderness rules. Find an open spot and try to re-use spaces whenever possible.
Probably not exactly optimal. There is virtually no shelter up there, and you will likely be visited by the Border Patrol. But it is the closest thing I have managed to think of that is legal and free. I will keep thinking.

Last edited:

venture4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nomadic
Member #

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I spent last night in Anza-Borrego near Ocotillo. That was fun. It was certainly hot, but not the worst I've encountered so far. Then spent the day touring the desert with @OVRLNDX. I think he might be on here. Loved every minute of it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to head to the Starbucks in Ramona to do some work on my computer and plan my next move.

Reactions: restinpiss

haggishunter

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
I have property on side of house you can set up on and we are 30 min from downtown 45 min from mount Laguna and 1 hour from plaster city.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: YETI X

venture4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nomadic
Member #

I've been meaning to follow-up on this thread. Sorry that it took me so long. I'm extremely grateful for everyone's help!

It was challenging coming in from Anza-Borrego, and picking my way westward around Julian and Ramona with the intention of spending some time on the coast. However, I finally made it to San Diego. I spent a couple of nights "stealthing" at the rest area on I-5, north of San Diego. The first night was extremely positive, when I met and befriended a couple from NY traveling in their Vanagon. The second night was less positive, as the parking lot smelled like urine and cigarette smoke.

After that, I connected with Basil Lynch, and we spent an evening camping on Thomas Mountain, which was a bit of a drive, but it was a beautiful, high-elevation yellow post site.

After that, my friend Justin Pitcairn let me spend a couple of nights in his driveway. His kids even washed the Jeep! Justin took me on a tour of the area, and we visited Ursa Minor, went surf-kayaking, and got burritos. I finally tried a California burrito and it was heavenly!

After that, I went up to the San Bernardino National Forest and camped near Big Bear Lake with Justin, Jon Burtt, and Brian Fulton from Goose Gear. They all went home, so now it's just me again. I'm currently in Big Bear Lake spending the day getting some work done and doing the Internet.

I'll be heading north from here, and camping options look abundant, so I think I'm in good shape. I've had a lot of great suggestions from everyone here and from social media. Thanks again for helping me get situated in SoCal! :D