Launch Member

Member I

New England
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Dodge
Member #

I am just getting into Overlanding and maybe jumping all in with a RTT. Been spoiled by all the youtube videos of Colorado, Utah, Montana, etc. where there seem to be hundreds of great scenic spots and views for overlanding/car camping. I know in New England we don't have the same terrain, but are there any spots folks are willing to share where you could drive/car camp to that are not deep in the woods, but instead overlook a valley or are up on a mountain? Been doing some research, but as I said I am new to this, so maybe I have not yet found these areas and was hoping you all could point me in the right direction or key me into your favorite spots.

P.S. I am in a stock 18 Tundra TRD Off-Road

To clarify a bit, anything in the White Mountains National Forrest ni New Hampshire or Acadia National Park in Maine? Thanks

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

You may get more responses by noting an area of interest.. just sayin'.. Many of the overlooks (vista) sites in New England are 4x4 to get to. Some require extensive mods. For car camping.. few that are not commercial CG's.

breyton490

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New England
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Dodge
Member #

You may get more responses by noting an area of interest.. just sayin'.. Many of the overlooks (vista) sites in New England are 4x4 to get to. Some require extensive mods. For car camping.. few that are not commercial CG's.
Thanks for the feedback.

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
You should 1) get yourself a good GPS app...like Gaia. Then, 2) go over to the downloadable routes section of this forum and look around for some interesting places along your downloaded route...there are plenty of backcountry routes up in your neck of the, er, uhh...the woods.

As you really stretch your legs, get comfortable with your gear, your skills, your rig and your camping crew, check out what Josh has available and push your envelope’s edges by checking out this site: The Appalachian Byway.

There are so many ways to skin a cat in this life...there’s not one real RIGHT way to do any part of it...but going home safely is not an option. Use your head.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I see you edited the message a bit! Good. I've run the Maine Sur to Canada and found little 'legal' dispersed camping. Did find a few commercial though, mostly we overnighted at Chez Walmart. Inward Maine heading towards NH there are a multitude of back/dirt country roads. Same as you enter in NH. North Country (both states) has the infamous logging roads that in some cases are nicer than the tarred roads. Both states own some, some are now private, most are logging/paper company lands.

As CMac said, Gaia is a great map source (I also use). Nice detail for Topo, Satellite, public/private land and the list just continues. All in one app and downloadable for offline use. It's my main gps app now. Gaia also has Public Tracks/Routes feature that other users have shared, gets you started in an area.

I have shared a couple of my Foliage routes on my YT page. I will be sharing more there as time goes on. Byways no Highways Discussion Tab

tonyl11

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Merrimack, NH, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Leone
Member #

I'll add to this. As you mentioned, Out west is a whole different story with public/BLM land and the ability to disperse or camp in a lot of different areas. Here in NH, We really don't have anything that's not a known camp/campground (private or public). usually, its getting to know a landowner, asking for permission to use their land, and this may sound harsh, no-one is going to share that without knowing that person.

Now I can speak to the white mountains, There is a ton of state campgrounds around (usually not that fit the scenic description but are at least close by to those scenic areas. If you get lucky, some of the campgrounds (sites) are near the river,streams but usually thats rare. Again, Legal camping outside of that is pretty hard....unless you are backpacking up into a trail (lots of hiking camping but you have to be a certain distance from the road, trail to do so.)

gaia is defenatly your best friend (paid version) and explore the map overlays. They provide a ton of info.

Hope that helps a bit!

Reactions: RJ Howell