Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
vehicle is a xterra pro4-x with 3.5 inch lift. I have been running duratracs on it for 42k miles with no issues other than snow and mud packing the lugs up a bit. They are excellent on ice and everything except the afore mentioned snow and mud. Its now time to decide what tires to run for the next phase of her life. The xterra was a daily driver however with the purchase of the Raptor she will now be used for overlanding and weekend trips until my 12 year old son turns 16 and takes her over. Should I switch to a more aggressive tire like the ko3 or mtr? Should I stick with the lighter weight duratrac or other allterrain hybrid?
Please share your thoughts. I live in Northern Colorado so trails range from great plains to snow packed passes to moab within 4 hours of my house.20190524_182323.jpeg

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I haven't had them long enough to provide long term review, but I put a set of Kenda Klever KR601 on my Gladiator and am to this point extremely impressed in the over all ride quality, handling, traction and uniformity.

It is promoted as a hybrid tread design, to me it is really just a more aggressive all terrain. Attractive price point and for me a principle concern was that I could get it in a 35/10.50R17.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Been running DC trail country exp on my xterra in a 315/75r16 and they have held their own quite well in bumper deep snow ,fairly quiet for as aggressive as they are and as a bonus they are very light but still quite stiff I run them at 26psi on the street , 12-15 general off-road and 9 psi in the snow .

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

For winters, definitely nor an MTR. Mud tires are the worst winter tires ever.

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

I have been using Discoverer AT3 LT on my 12 frontier, had them for about 45,000 miles. love them on the sand and snow and mud, normally I don't rotate my tires so it started to make road noise pretty loud and the treads been weird but that is me on user error, but all in all good tires I think.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I run Cooper S/T Maxx tires in a 265/70/18 on my LR3. Good in snow (studable if you'd like), quiet on the road, good off road traction, good tread wear (on a vehicle notorious for being tough on tread) and most important to me, way tougher sidewalls than the Duratracs. I had them previously and wasn't impressed with the sidewall. The King shop at Park City Mountain Resort runs them on their trucks which see almost exclusively heavy mountain access road use.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
vehicle is a xterra pro4-x with 3.5 inch lift. I have been running duratracs on it for 42k miles with no issues other than snow and mud packing the lugs up a bit. They are excellent on ice and everything except the afore mentioned snow and mud.
I live in northern AZ and have a lot of mud/snow/ice to contend with also. I am running Duratracs too and when they pack up a little all I do is throttle up a little and they clean right out. Have you tried that with yours?

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
I live in northern AZ and have a lot of mud/snow/ice to contend with also. I am running Duratracs too and when they pack up a little all I do is throttle up a little and they clean right out. Have you tried that with yours?
My issue is the xterra detunes the throttle in 4 low and will not allow more than 50 percent power in first and second gears in 4 low. Looking at a programmer to change that issue.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
My issue is the xterra detunes the throttle in 4 low and will not allow more than 50 percent power in first and second gears in 4 low. Looking at a programmer to change that issue.
That’s interesting. It kind of makes 4Lo counter productive!

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Its way better for rock crawling. Keeps power delivery smooth when in precarious situations like hells revenge or the hells gate. For mud you just get into third and all is good

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Its way better for rock crawling. Keeps power delivery smooth when in precarious situations like hells revenge or the hells gate. For mud you just get into third and all is good
I can see reduced throttle response, but reducing total output to 50%?