Looking for info from AEV Prospector XL owners or folks that have built their own Ram on 40's.

• HTML tutorial

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

So after multiple search attempts I've come up short on what I am looking for. After 5 years and a bunch of mods to my Tacoma I am ready to move on. My two sons are getting bigger by the day and I will have yet another giant dog sometime around Christmas. I would like to build a XL clone or something close to it anyway. So what I am looking for is pro's and cons from owners, what you really like, what you want to change? What trim level is your truck, do you wish it was higher or lower spec? 2500 or 3500? anyways, I hope you're there and feel like answer some questions.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Definitely no aversion to chopping up perfectly good sheet metal. I had to cut a couple inches out of my Tacoma to fit 35’s. Mostly curious as to quality of AEV parts and the overall functionality of what goes into an Xl. Things I’ve come up with so far from my local diesel shop and a very small amount of people will to admit their $100k truck has flaws, the stock bushing move around causing alignment issues, the 4.30 gear ration is inadequate, regardless of what AEV says the stock springs suck. It sounds like I need to use a Carli suspension system with some custom fab parts to get that 1.6” forward in the front axle that’s needed for the 40’s to fit.
don't own an AEV truck, but it's not a hard truck to replicate....just need some cubic dollars...lol
the XL only has a 3" lift, which is pretty strait forward, but to make them 40" tires fit, they also use cut-out flares. as long as you have no aversion to chopping your sheet metal, it's a good way to make bigger tires fit.
i have cut-out flares on my crewcab, their the equivalent of putting about a 4" lift on your truck.
only problem with the AEV flares is you have to spend much-o money on their bumpers to match up with the flares (body lines and whatnot).
as for trim levels, that's your call-what do you need or want in your truck,.
and i would personally go for the 1 ton (3500) waaay beefier components that can take that kind of stuff with the least modifications or problems
mo' fun in a 1 ton...

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

the few, the brave...lol
lot of people get all weak-kneed when you say "cut sheet metal"
like i said, don't own an AEV, but it looks pretty much like a basic system they use-spacers and blocks everywhere, pretty strait forward from what i see.
here's a guy who put 40's on his '012 with no lift, just AEV flares, AEV bumper and some sheet metal trimming. he also shifted the cab and box back almost a 1/4" as well.
if you really want the axle forward more, i'd say long arm it.
don't know why 4.30's would be inadequate, i run 38's and 42's on my truck wit 4.56's and it does plenty fine.

I saw that one on the AEV forum pretty cool. I just need to find the Ram I want and start cutting.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Also what suspension are you using and how much lift? I had an ‘91 F350 on 38’s and it felt ridiculous with 4.56, I ended up swapping gears again to 5.29 but it was also a manual which makes some difference.