Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Morsch
Member #

I am hoping that everyone may be able to help me decide what to upgrade next on my 2014 Ram 2500.

I am currently planning on doing the following upgrades to the vehicle and am struggling on determining the order in which to do each.
1. Replace the spacer leveling kit with a spring leveling kit or just adding a 3.5"-4" lift as the shocks need to be replaced to begin with soon and the factory springs make for a rough ride when off-road.
2. Re-gearing to 4.11 gears with twin arb lockers as I am currently under geared for my tires slightly as I am running 35.71"x13"r18 Toyo MT with plans to go to 37" next time I need tires and have the factory rear LSD and open front diff.
3. Adding a 12" bed rack and roof top tent to remove the need for a ground tent set up. Ground tent and 2 person cot gets bulky and takes up a large amount of my bed space.

Any advise/insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I am hoping that everyone may be able to help me decide what to upgrade next on my 2014 Ram 2500.

I am currently planning on doing the following upgrades to the vehicle and am struggling on determining the order in which to do each.
1. Replace the spacer leveling kit with a spring leveling kit or just adding a 3.5"-4" lift as the shocks need to be replaced to begin with soon and the factory springs make for a rough ride when off-road.
2. Re-gearing to 4.11 gears with twin arb lockers as I am currently under geared for my tires slightly as I am running 35.71"x13"r18 Toyo MT with plans to go to 37" next time I need tires and have the factory rear LSD and open front diff.
3. Adding a 12" bed rack and roof top tent to remove the need for a ground tent set up. Ground tent and 2 person cot gets bulky and takes up a large amount of my bed space.

Any advise/insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
What do you plan to do with it? You could drive from Phoenix to Argentina as it is now. I can see that a RTT may be a good option, otherwise I see little need for the other two.

Carl_M0512

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Morsch
Member #

What do you plan to do with it? You could drive from Phoenix to Argentina as it is now. I can see that a RTT may be a good option, otherwise I see little need for the other two.
Currently I am planning on doing more remote camping in the phoenix area, with a trip to Big Bend and South Padre Island for some remote beach camping this fall with any luck. Long term I want to ship the vehicle temporarily to Australia for a few week vacation over there. I am a little hesitant to put the truck on beach sand without a locker as I have never driven in sand for multiple miles before. The suspension upgrades are only to help smooth out the ride when off-road as the factory suspension is super stiff and makes for a very bumpy/unpleasant experience. With that said eventually I will do all of these based on my current thinking I am just struggling with the order of precedence for installation due to the costs associated with each not allowing for multiple to be done at once.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Currently I am planning on doing more remote camping in the phoenix area, with a trip to Big Bend and South Padre Island for some remote beach camping this fall with any luck. Long term I want to ship the vehicle temporarily to Australia for a few week vacation over there. I am a little hesitant to put the truck on beach sand without a locker as I have never driven in sand for multiple miles before. The suspension upgrades are only to help smooth out the ride when off-road as the factory suspension is super stiff and makes for a very bumpy/unpleasant experience. With that said eventually I will do all of these based on my current thinking I am just struggling with the order of precedence for installation due to the costs associated with each not allowing for multiple to be done at once.
That helps understanding.

For time on sand I'd ensure that you have a compressor and air down/up as needed. We've crossed the Simpson with zero problems by using the right tyre pressures and didn't lock the transmission at all (~700 km in 5 days - 1100 dune crossings). Carrying MaxTrax gives you the "plan B" to get unstuck.

Good spring dampers will help the ride, otherwise I think the main means of reducing the impact from a hard suspension is adjusting speed to the conditions.

Obviously you know best your plans for Australia, however I have to wonder whether it makes financial sense to ship the vehicle there for "a few week vacation". We've shipped to Australia and back, however this was for a year. I'd have guessed that the cost of shipping there and back for a few weeks would be far more than renting a vehicle there.

Carl_M0512

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Morsch
Member #

That helps understanding.

For time on sand I'd ensure that you have a compressor and air down/up as needed. We've crossed the Simpson with zero problems by using the right tyre pressures and didn't lock the transmission at all (~700 km in 5 days - 1100 dune crossings). Carrying MaxTrax gives you the "plan B" to get unstuck.

Good spring dampers will help the ride, otherwise I think the main means of reducing the impact from a hard suspension is adjusting speed to the conditions.

Obviously you know best your plans for Australia, however I have to wonder whether it makes financial sense to ship the vehicle there for "a few week vacation". We've shipped to Australia and back, however this was for a year. I'd have guessed that the cost of shipping there and back for a few weeks would be far more than renting a vehicle there.
Thanks for the insight, I have onboard air and recovery boards already as that was one of the first things I did. As for the cost aspect of taking it to Australia, I am not to worried about that as its a few years away and will be more like a month there or so, not to mention some of the places I want to go I would not feel comfortable taking a rented vehicle due to having water crossings and things of that nature.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a 2012 Ram 2500.I replace the rears springs with Dever progressive springs 10 springs instead of 3, thet raised the bed about 2", the front were replaced with Eibach and 2.5 Fox bypass shocks all the way around. The ride is great empty or full. I have limited slip in the rear and manual lockers up front Running 3.92 difs. they are fine. Most of my drving in Baja = sand and gravel. I don't get stuck much anymore. I have no need for 37" for what i do. I would pass on the lift unless your are extending travel. I am on 35" tires and go most places. I don't wheel or roll over rock more the kneeish high. I camp with a ground tent no cots just a 4" sleeping pads. My tent is 4 person low tent that work for me, I can't stand in it, I just kneel. The whole tent and all is 3 bags 9"around by 32" long plus sleeping bags. A lot of stuff hanging off tuck is for fashion for use. I know fully kitted rigs that camp 3, 4 times a year. I know fully kitted rigs that camp every month.
Overlanding is figuring out what works best for you.

Carl_M0512

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Morsch
Member #

I have a 2012 Ram 2500.I replace the rears springs with Dever progressive springs 10 springs instead of 3, thet raised the bed about 2", the front were replaced with Eibach and 2.5 Fox bypass shocks all the way around. The ride is great empty or full. I have limited slip in the rear and manual lockers up front Running 3.92 difs. they are fine. Most of my drving in Baja = sand and gravel. I don't get stuck much anymore. I have no need for 37" for what i do. I would pass on the lift unless your are extending travel. I am on 35" tires and go most places. I don't wheel or roll over rock more the kneeish high. I camp with a ground tent no cots just a 4" sleeping pads. My tent is 4 person low tent that work for me, I can't stand in it, I just kneel. The whole tent and all is 3 bags 9"around by 32" long plus sleeping bags. A lot of stuff hanging off tuck is for fashion for use. I know fully kitted rigs that camp 3, 4 times a year. I know fully kitted rigs that camp every month.
Overlanding is figuring out what works best for you.
Thanks for the input. The lift will give me a little more travel in both front and rear which is why I was considering it over just keeping it leveled.