looking for Guidance for Group Leaders

• HTML tutorial

Eric and Jeanette

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Varies
Member #

We've got a short off road trip ( not overlanding, but this seems like a good spot to ask ) with a fairly large number of vehicles coming up soon and are looking for links to some general advice for managing the group. We're doing the back road to the Desert Bar, so a moderately difficult trail that's a couple hours long.

The group size is still up in the air, but from what I understand, we're up over 25 vehicles - a mix of noobs who may have never shifted to 4Lo before, folks like me that have done dozens of trails including some more difficult than this one, to a few that are quite experienced and are in bad-xxx off road rigs with multiple trips on the Rubicon behind them.

Some of the latter folks are helping to guide the group, but the leader and myself ( driving as tailgunner ) are in the middle class of drivers. I doubt we're going to have difficulty with the trail ( we've driven it before and are in an Xterra Pro-4x and a ZR2 Colorado - we are going to pre-run it again before the actual trip ) , but we've never guided a group larger than about 3-4 vehicles and would like to avoid any major pitfalls if we can.

Does anyone have any links to some general guidance on how best to manage a large group and effectively lead them? Our plan as of now is to break it up into three smaller groups, so there's more opportunities for oncoming traffic to pass through and we'll hopefully have fewer people waiting at each obstacle.

Thanks!

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

We've got a short off road trip ( not overlanding, but this seems like a good spot to ask ) with a fairly large number of vehicles coming up soon and are looking for links to some general advice for managing the group. We're doing the back road to the Desert Bar, so a moderately difficult trail that's a couple hours long.

The group size is still up in the air, but from what I understand, we're up over 25 vehicles - a mix of noobs who may have never shifted to 4Lo before, folks like me that have done dozens of trails including some more difficult than this one, to a few that are quite experienced and are in bad-xxx off road rigs with multiple trips on the Rubicon behind them.

Some of the latter folks are helping to guide the group, but the leader and myself ( driving as tailgunner ) are in the middle class of drivers. I doubt we're going to have difficulty with the trail ( we've driven it before and are in an Xterra Pro-4x and a ZR2 Colorado - we are going to pre-run it again before the actual trip ) , but we've never guided a group larger than about 3-4 vehicles and would like to avoid any major pitfalls if we can.

Does anyone have any links to some general guidance on how best to manage a large group and effectively lead them? Our plan as of now is to break it up into three smaller groups, so there's more opportunities for oncoming traffic to pass through and we'll hopefully have fewer people waiting at each obstacle.

Thanks!
what state are you located in?

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Are talking about the desert bar near Quartzsite, AZ?

JKXRANGER
OB 844
INSTAGRAM: JKXRANGER
Sent from Samsung S8+

Eric and Jeanette

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Varies
Member #

Yes, that's the bar. It's outside of Parker, I think.
We're in AZ right now, but we're full time in our RV, towing our 4x4, so we get around.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My advise would be to PM VCeXpedition he is probably the standard when it comes to leading a large group.

Reactions: Eric and Jeanette