xj_scuba

Rank 0

Contributor I

CA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Hanson
I'm planning a cross country trip in February, its a change of assignment so I'm locked into the date. I'm hoping to spend a night remote camping along the Grand Canyon and am looking for advice on if this is feasible, and if so, where.

I was originally looking at Point Sublime but it seems like that isn't accessible in the winter.

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks

LVBlueJKU

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Klimp
Member #

From what I understand there is a place in Peach Springs AZ where you need to purchase a permit to camp at Diamond Beach and to use the road to get down there seeing as it is on Hualapai Tribal Land. Hope this helps.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
From what I understand there is a place in Peach Springs AZ where you need to purchase a permit to camp at Diamond Beach and to use the road to get down there seeing as it is on Hualapai Tribal Land. Hope this helps.
Very expensive unless AZ resident.....

Look at north rim if that is possible for you......

Reactions: LVBlueJKU

xj_scuba

Rank 0

Contributor I

CA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Hanson
Very expensive unless AZ resident.....

Look at north rim if that is possible for you......
North Rim is where I was looking, but then I saw that the National Park website says, "Winter solitude blankets the North Rim of Grand Canyon, which is closed to vehicle traffic during the winter."

Are there any camping spots along the northern rim accessible during the winter?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

North Rim doesn't open until early spring. South rim will probably be inaccessible soon too due to Covid shutdowns. Accessing any reservation land will be a challenge for the foreseeable future as Covid has many, many roads into and out of res land, closed. All of New Mexico reservations ae closed for any traffic, save for major state routes and interstates.

Consider camping the the mountains in Flagstaff.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
North Rim is where I was looking, but then I saw that the National Park website says, "Winter solitude blankets the North Rim of Grand Canyon, which is closed to vehicle traffic during the winter."

Are there any camping spots along the northern rim accessible during the winter?
Outside the north rim proper there are a couple places, not sure about closures, we camp the end of winter and 4x4 the trails that are open....

JCBigler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chouteau, OK
Member #

Bumping this thread since we're thinking about a trip in the spring or early summer.

What the camping options on the North Rim in March and May? How hot does it get in May there? Is it still freezing cold in March at night?

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Average temps for March are low 20s to mid 40s. For May, mid 30s to mid 60s.