Looking for Family Overlanders in Colorado

• HTML tutorial

Outdoor Drew

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Littleton, CO
Member #

Hi! We live in Littleton,CO and explore CO, WY and UT with our kids who are 6 and 8. We are looking for other overlanders with kids to join us on our adventures.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

jimiwebb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arvada, CO
Member #

We've been exploring park county quite a bit. The north end of pike national forest by lost creek wilderness specifically. We're headed up towards Minturn near the Holy Cross trailhead the first week of August for our son's birthday. We are now pulling a 6x12 cargo trailer so we mostly base camp and explore.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Outdoor Drew

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Littleton, CO
Member #

We've been exploring park county quite a bit. The north end of pike national forest by lost creek wilderness specifically. We're headed up towards Minturn near the Holy Cross trailhead the first week of August for our son's birthday. We are now pulling a 6x12 cargo trailer so we mostly base camp and explore.

That's awsome! Locally we enjoy exploring Rosavelt and Arapahoe NF, and 2-3 times a year we'll go out to San Rafeal Swell, UT, NM or Wyoming. We are climbers, cavers, bikers and all around explorers.

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

Hey guys, I'm down in Castle Rock and will be takin our 2 year old son on his first trip Thursday through Sunday. Gonna head up to buffalo pass outside of steamboat. Never been up that direction. Any advice on camping with the little one?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Camped around Steamboat last year - some good options just south of town going up the hill / mountain. Some nice NF along that. Otherwise, some really good stuff west of SB, but about 45 minutes west. Check the maps - lots of NF to the west.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Outdoor Drew

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

Yeah, definitely doing that. We brought him to sand dunes NP last month the play in the creek that was running through it, he loved it. How long do you guys usually go out for? This will only be 3 days. This is the first summer in since '13 that have been up in high country camping.

Outdoor Drew

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Littleton, CO
Member #

Yeah, definitely doing that. We brought him to sand dunes NP last month the play in the creek that was running through it, he loved it. How long do you guys usually go out for? This will only be 3 days. This is the first summer in since '13 that have been up in high country camping.
If it's not a long weekend, it's usually 8-14 days (my wife is a teacher so summers are
Exploration time)

jimiwebb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arvada, CO
Member #

If it's not a long weekend, it's usually 8-14 days (my wife is a teacher so summers are
Exploration time)

My wife's admin at a school too so summer is definitely our exploration time as well.

I agree oustside toys. Shovels and magnifying glasses are the biggest hit for our kids other than dirt. They love getting dirty. Also bring extra wipes, they're great for everyone.

I was looking at running up to Wyoming for the eclipse but since my wife is admin she goes back early and I'm gearing up for fall semester students.

Reactions: Outdoor Drew

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
I am in Dacono and have two five year olds and a two year old.
At a minimum I try and do a day trail every weekend throughout the summer.

One item I would suggest looking into are portable DVD players, for long road trips with young ones. It will help you keep your sanity. [emoji6]

Outdoor Drew

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Littleton, CO
Member #

What ya drive'n? Where do tou like to wheel and camp? We do alot of Arapahoe and Gilpin NF as well as long trips to UT, WY and NM

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
I am driving a JKU. I usually find my self north of I-70 for day trips. I like a lot of spots for camping, wheeling. I have the exploring bug and like to find new places.

A month ago I joined up with a group out of Ohio that was on a Overlanding trip through Ouray, CO, Monument, AZ, Sierra Nevada, CA, and Moab, UT. I was only able to go with them about halfway (CO to AZ), but the experience was amazing. Unfortunately it left me with no vacation time for long trips until next year.