• HTML tutorial

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Hey everyone,

My mom is coming out to do a trip with me (Sep 1 - 9) and we're planning on going up to do some exploring in the PNW. My mom is a little older and has requested a water front cabin for 3 nights of our trip - I'm having a difficult time finding anything affordable so I was hoping someone from the region might be able to recommend something.

Right now the plan is to hit up the redwoods, then drive up to the Oregon/Washington border around Mt.Hood and stay there for a night - then depending on where I can find a cabin I was thinking either the Olympic Peninsula or the Cascades.

I was going to take her on a couple trails as well, but they have to be pretty mildly rated - I know spots in California and Oregon but up in WA I'd be open for suggestions (I know the BDR and several forest service roads).

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@BCBrian I've been trying to rent a fire lookout for 4 years now...they book up the DAY they open reservations almost immediately, it's crazy! One day I'll get the timing right!

Thanks for the suggestion~

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
This late in the season your only choice is a service like Air B&B. As was mentioned, all of the managed camp grounds and cabins are booked shortly after they are made available online. Before moving up here, I never realized just how much of a summer destination the PNW was...

Reactions: Brooke

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@Jedi Heck, I went to college up there (Olympia) and never realized what a summer destination it was. I'm seeing cabins that are available but they cost like 200-300 a night. This is why I got into overlanding... because I hate dealing with hordes of people... this is the first time since I got a 4WD that I've had to contend with the crowds.

I'm going to see if I can get her to settle for hotels which will give us more flexibility to explore.

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@BCBrian We THE ONE there! Thanks for the suggestion... it's actually in Oregon, but for $100/night we get forest views (no water front) a hot tub, and a pretty cozy looking cabin. Glad the hunt is over!! I am so used to just paying for fuel and food on trips.... it's weird.

Reactions: BCBrian