Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Anyone know where I may find a snorkel kit that will fit a 2019 F-250 6.2 V8 gas engine? My research was limited to older models with 6.7 diesel engines.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Anyone know where I may find a snorkel kit that will fit a 2019 F-250 6.2 V8 gas engine? My research was limited to older models with 6.7 diesel engines.
'Safari' is most likely to have a model. Ford and Ram are big in Australia. Check for a compatable product model number, that would work on a North American build. I have seen some pictures on some very new trucks, so they must be available.

PS: Depending on model year, I would think Ford would try to keep the parts bin as close to being compatable as possible for logistic reasons, If the 'air box' and plumbing are similar, they might be compatable, even if not listed. A thought to keep in mind if your coming up short.

Last edited:

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Acknowledged. So I guess my question is "why do I need a snorkel?" My assumption was water protection during water crossings. I believed the secondary benefit was clean air intake during mult-vehicle convoys. If the answer is only clean air then the supplemental air filter makes since. I could then use an air source to clean air filter 1 while using the replacement air filter. I have no plans to go amphibious. So the axiom of "turn around don't drown" is in order if the snorkel is not designed for deep water transversing. Thoughts?

Joe

Reactions: EXPO_D1

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Acknowledged. So I guess my question is "why do I need a snorkel?" My assumption was water protection during water crossings. I believed the secondary benefit was clean air intake during mult-vehicle convoys. If the answer is only clean air then the supplemental air filter makes since. I could then use an air source to clean air filter 1 while using the replacement air filter. I have no plans to go amphibious. So the axiom of "turn around don't drown" is in order if the snorkel is not designed for deep water transversing. Thoughts?

Joe
Snorkels add a prefilter and that is about all they do. If you custom make one, or spend lots of money they help in water crossings, but what is never talked about is raising the exhaust pipe for water crossings.... you need both intake and exhaust to stay out of the water. I’m on another forum where a guy slid his rig into a ditch and got stuck... when he shut off the engine it sucked water up the tail pipe and back into the cylinder heads. Now he’s having to find a new engine... so just throwing that out there.

Now why to modify an intake:
My 1989 Bronco sucks air in from behind the grill and it fills up with dirt and water as I splash through puddles. So I need to flip the intake around so I can pull cleaner air from a better location to minimize the splash water getting sucked in. I will also be adding a pre-filter to keep dust at bay.

• Haha
Reactions: MazeVX

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Mike,

Your rational makes since concerning the tail pipe and reverse flow. I think as a practical matter, I will pass on the snorkel, although the cool points would be nice. Thanks.

Joe

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Joe
From what I have read, Safari and maybe 1 or 2 others are made for water. Others like Toyota OEM snorkels are not (only dust). They are not completely sealed, and have to be modified by using silicone on their joints to waterproof them. Either it was Ronnie Dahl, or Andrew St Pierre White, or Micheal ? from 'seek adventure' who did a video on that very aspect.

Out here, it is desert dust, not water that could be a problem. If you are convoying in large groups, the idea of being strung out for miles because of dust concerns will be problematic and I imagine irritating if your at the back. aka... Last out on the trail, last into camp (tail gunner group). While it has not been a problem for me in vehicles, it has been for ATV groups I have gone with.....(choke/sneeze) ugh.

I know Andrew St Pierre did a morning maintenance cycle of cleaning his air filter by your expressed outside source (air compressor) method. It was amazing how much dust could accumulate in a days travel.

The tail pipe concern,....YES, so lesson learned, do not shut your engine OFF, until your either out of the water, or you have a modified high exhaust extension.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
New SD's don't need a snorkel. Big time fording height built in.

The stock air intake is about as high as the snorkel on a tacoma. The truck generally won't make it across anything as deep as the intake, unless it's paved or gravel underwater. The cab will be flooded before your airfilter is. Lol.

Bring a spare air filter. Check you axle and Trans breather locations. IIRC, they're pretty good on the new trucks as well.

If you want to add things. Add the OEM skid plate package, and get some armored diff covers from Motobilt. Consider a Yukon Griz front locker.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Snorkels add a prefilter and that is about all they do. If you custom make one, or spend lots of money they help in water crossings, but what is never talked about is raising the exhaust pipe for water crossings.... you need both intake and exhaust to stay out of the water. I’m on another forum where a guy slid his rig into a ditch and got stuck... when he shut off the engine it sucked water up the tail pipe and back into the cylinder heads. Now he’s having to find a new engine... so just throwing that out there.

Now why to modify an intake:
My 1989 Bronco sucks air in from behind the grill and it fills up with dirt and water as I splash through puddles. So I need to flip the intake around so I can pull cleaner air from a better location to minimize the splash water getting sucked in. I will also be adding a pre-filter to keep dust at bay.
you don't need an exhaust raised to cross water, you do however need one if you plan on shutting your truck off in water and sitting there for a prolonged period of time like military would when trying to be sneaky.
The only thing he needs to do is seal every single electrical component on his truck with marine grade sealant and run his diff,trans and transfer case breathers higher up.

That guy screwed himself by shutting off his engine he should have let it run til help arrived or he figured out how to get himself out. Do stupid things win stupid prizes

And if you have a gasoline engine you can suck in a few cups of water before hydrolocking and possibly ruining the engine, if it diesel you can only take a few shot glasses worth before everything is definately ruined. With gas engine if you suck water in and shut it off quick you can save your engine by pulling spark plugs, spray wd40 in cylinders, wait a few min the crank the engine you will blow out the water without bending rods

Last edited:

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

New SD's don't need a snorkel. Big time fording height built in.

The stock air intake is about as high as the snorkel on a tacoma. The truck generally won't make it across anything as deep as the intake, unless it's paved or gravel underwater. The cab will be flooded before your airfilter is. Lol.

Bring a spare air filter. Check you axle and Trans breather locations. IIRC, they're pretty good on the new trucks as well.

If you want to add things. Add the OEM skid plate package, and get some armored diff covers from Motobilt. Consider a Yukon Griz front locker.

when you have a f250.. you need to silicone the wiring boot that is in front of the driver's left foot if you event think of doing a river crossing.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
you don't need an exhaust raised to cross water, you do however need one if you plan on shutting your truck off in water and sitting there for a prolonged period of time like military would when trying to be sneaky.
The only thing he needs to do is seal every single electrical component on his truck with marine grade sealant and run his diff,trans and transfer case breathers higher up.

That guy screwed himself by shutting off his engine he should have let it run til help arrived or he figured out how to get himself out. Do stupid things win stupid prizes

And if you have a gasoline engine you can suck in a few cups of water before hydrolocking and possibly ruining the engine, if it diesel you can only take a few shot glasses worth before everything is definately ruined. With gas engine if you suck water in and shut it off quick you can save your engine by pulling spark plugs, spray wd40 in cylinders, wait a few min the crank the engine you will blow out the water without bending rods
The guy didn’t purposefully shut off the engine, he stalled the engine...
and every good mechanic knows the wd-40 stays on the shelf. It’s the worst thing to put onto metal for any reason.

Cullen Powers

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

Came here for snorkel info too, as I've not seen many for Super Duties, but leaving now because of all the misinformation :sweatsmile:
The intake on the newer Super Duty is NOT that high and it's also facing right into any oncoming water.
I've had plenty of experience with deep water in my Tremor. They all didn't end well, but the truck and motor are still going strong...but for piece of mind, I'm looking for a snorkel and one that isn't hideous looking, which is all I've found so far. DJI_0208 (2).jpg

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Came here for snorkel info too, as I've not seen many for Super Duties, but leaving now because of all the misinformation :sweatsmile:
The intake on the newer Super Duty is NOT that high and it's also facing right into any oncoming water.
I've had plenty of experience with deep water in my Tremor. They all didn't end well, but the truck and motor are still going strong...but for piece of mind, I'm looking for a snorkel and one that isn't hideous looking, which is all I've found so far. View attachment 244219
Thanks - has your research determined a suitable snorkel yet. I agree with your assessment that not many options for the F-250 SD (6.2 gas 2017-2019) are out there. Would like to see what website you search to see if something my appeal to me.

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Follow-up research efforts in Jun 2023 and still nothing to write home (forum) about.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If you know so much better, just make one from scratch.

Plastic and fiberglass aren't so hard to mold, at all.

Reactions: 19mystic96

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Follow-up research efforts in Jun 2023 and still nothing to write home (forum) about.
I believe the issue is that there is a front-end supporting metal in the area you would need for a Fender-type snorkel system. So you would need to make a custom install where the manufacturers are not being held liable

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kay
Service Branch
PMC
I had one on my 2005 F350, it was from TJM down in Australia. It was designed for a diesel engine, but I made it work on my 5.4 gas.
body lines and styles are similar enough that this one might work. Since the cabs on the 2017+ Super Duty trucks are the same as 2022 and up F150, so this might fit as well.
D97713CF-2DD1-4277-BFE4-CBFCC2E91B6B.jpegAF6D6CA3-01B9-44E7-9D27-FD660930FEAE.jpeg