Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'm not finding what I want on the market, which has got me considering building one myself. Here's the concept...

A 4x8 trailer simular to this...

22be3f99d7577dd59997bce32df5c597.jpg

But instead of a roof, cut the bottom our of one of these...

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 10.12.41 AM.png

and use it as the roof. The idea being, you could still sleep in it with the top down (stealth), but stand up in it when the top is popped.

Has anyone seen one built like this? I want it narrow, lightweight, and simple (not a lot of accessories).

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

That's a pretty cool idea, I wonder if you could find a westfalia poptop in a junk yard and use that instead of cannibalizing a RTT.

Reactions: Kelly

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Reconnoiter
For the size you're looking for You might check out the Honda Element pop tops, My neighbors have one I think is is called E-camper.
The older Westy popups (50's - 67 that popped straight up instead of hinging like this http://www.bustopia.com/Images/vw-camper-bus24 1966 westfalia.jpg ) I know that you can still get the replacement canvas from Wolfsburg west http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231067983

You could then make your own pop top mechanism. It's been a number of years but the mechanism design on these was fairly simple. Basically a sliding X brace with end stop notch at full height.

Boort

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Thinking about it several caravans and offroad caravans use a pop up section in the roof to give more space. Look at camping shops they my be able to point you to someone that could make the canvas section. Like Boort said a simple sliding x frame should work as the mechanism. Just thought of a roof box because its a fraction of the price for a pop up RTT.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

This is certainly a cool idea! Maybe contact some of the importers of the rigid RTT companies and see if they have any with a damaged shell for cheap. That would work great on my Hiker trailer I have ordered, too!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

jimiwebb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arvada, CO
Member #

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
@Reconnoiter
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/116806-Off-road-cargo-trailer-for-sale-SOLD

Originally I wanted to do something similar. Starting with a 5x8 cargo trailer like the one above and finding a westfalia top to fit to it. Budget and time constraints and finding room for 2 kiddos to sleep led me to the 6x12 you saw me pulling in Utah. It's a little restrictive but I have plans to shave some pounds off and spring over the axles.
I had something very similar to that, and it was awesome, but I want my next one to have a better departure angle.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Looks a lot like a Hiker Trailer to me. Have you looked at those? I'm sure you could mount a hard top rtt to it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I'm not finding what I want on the market, which has got me considering building one myself. Here's the concept...

A 4x8 trailer simular to this...

View attachment 25952

But instead of a roof, cut the bottom our of one of these...

View attachment 25953

and use it as the roof. The idea being, you could still sleep in it with the top down (stealth), but stand up in it when the top is popped.

Has anyone seen one built like this? I want it narrow, lightweight, and simple (not a lot of accessories).

I saw a trailer made by a small company and the designer was discussing his plans to do that exact thing. Here is a link: http://www.terrapod.us/

I have no affiliation with he company, but the designer/owner was a nice guy and his little trailer was awesome.