First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi!

Does anyone here have experience with packrafts? We have a very good inflatable canoe. Really a super canoe and I like paddling with it. But it is also big and I transport it folded on the roof. So it is not suitable for all trips. I have thought about what can be a good addition and came across packrafts. Such a packraft is really mini from the pack size and weight. Could always be in the rig. I think that could be something worth to look into.

Who here knows packrafts well, has experience with this kind of boats and can tell me what to look for, please? Which are recommended? Look forward to good advice! Thanks a lot!

Thanks,
Bjoern

D

Deleted member 21788

I've had great success with Alpacka Rafts. They are great pack rafts (hence the play on words in the name). They are VERY durable and they have quite a few to choose from to tailor to your travel needs. They are pricy, but well worth it if you really want to get into it. You don't want to get stuck in the middle of a waterway with your gear, you, and a raft with a hole in it!

Alpacka Raft | Passionate about Packrafting in all its Forms

Reactions: El-Dracho

Explore_x4

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Wallen
I 2nd the Alpacka Rafts. I spent my summer in Alaska and floated quite a bit. Very stable even in class 3 especially compared to a cheap intex boat. The ability to store your gear inside the air chamber makes a huge difference as well.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks guys. Will look into these Alpacka Rafts! Any other advices? Thanks.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The Venture 4WD guy on YT uses one, and it always looks like for every stroke it goes sideways about as much as it goes forward. Looks to me like it needs some sort of stabilization under the bow to stop/minimize that.

That said I have no personal experience with one.